5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

mY cAR iS bRoKE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 09:52 AM
lcf

mY cAR iS bRoKE!!!!!

It's a beautiful 45º day here in southwest Michigan and I decided to open up my hood for a fluid/oil level check and to my amazement I saw this:

WTF could have caused this? Could it be because I didnt use the bracket included with the intake (Berk)? What is this part and how much will it cost me?!?! It's probably been a good month since I last looked under the hood....... sigh.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 AM

Re: mY cAR iS bRoKE!!!!!

NISSAN will prolly charge you for everythign...go to a junk yard...best bet...if not get a CAI!!!
lol
Old 03-12-2003, 11:09 AM

woah, that sucks, it looks like it just cracked. Hmm.. only guess I can make is that, it cracked due to too much engine movemet? There probably was a small crack already there initially and it got bigger overtime. Man that sucks.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:05 PM
lcf

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Anyone know which part it is that is cracked?
Old 03-12-2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by lcf
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Anyone know which part it is that is cracked?
It looks like the airbox? Can you post larger pictures (of the whole engine bay) so I can see where that part is exactly? Sorry I'm not that good with cars yet, but if you post that picture I can look at my intake. I currently have a CAI so the parts that you have are all in a box. I'll have to dig it out.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:42 PM
lcf

Originally posted by roastduck88

It looks like the airbox? Can you post larger pictures (of the whole engine bay) so I can see where that part is exactly? Sorry I'm not that good with cars yet, but if you post that picture I can look at my intake. I currently have a CAI so the parts that you have are all in a box. I'll have to dig it out.
Airbox? Hm. I dunno if it's the airbox? I thought I took out the airbox so the WAI could be installed. It does seem to be a box of some sort... it's the part that the MAF tubing goes into. Hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:01 PM

it's the portion of the intake tract that lies between the MAF and the throttle body. you know, the big box with the accordian section attached to it.

best bet, remove that piece and replace it with a Firm Fabrications or Frankencar midpipe. beats having to buy that wierd-a$$ box from a junkyard. plus it'll cost a lot less.

if you want to keep it, you'll have to change the entire box assembly which i believe would include the accordian section all the way back to, but not including, the throttle body. it's all one piece if i recall correctly. or i suppose you could simply take a plastice cement and repair it outside of the car.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:02 PM

btw, when you fix this, take the opportunity to clean your throttle body.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Kloogy's got a midpipe for sale. A new one will cost you $60.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by lcf
Airbox? Hm. I dunno if it's the airbox? I thought I took out the airbox so the WAI could be installed. It does seem to be a box of some sort... it's the part that the MAF tubing goes into. Hope that helps.
lcf,

I got a Maxima part listing doc (pdf) that shows the part# and names for the 2k-2k1 Maximas. The OEM air intake parts are in page 378. I don't know how to attach the file in the forum. If you're interested, I can email it to you.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:42 PM
lcf

Originally posted by serin
it's the portion of the intake tract that lies between the MAF and the throttle body. you know, the big box with the accordian section attached to it.
That's it!
best bet, remove that piece and replace it with a Firm Fabrications or Frankencar midpipe. beats having to buy that wierd-a$$ box from a junkyard. plus it'll cost a lot less.
This will work for sure? If so, HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF!
btw, when you fix this, take the opportunity to clean your throttle body.
Roger that.
Originally posted by asu174
Kloogy's got a midpipe for sale. A new one will cost you $60.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll shoot him an email and see what up.
Originally posted by GimmeTorq

lcf,

I got a Maxima part listing doc (pdf) that shows the part# and names for the 2k-2k1 Maximas. The OEM air intake parts are in page 378. I don't know how to attach the file in the forum. If you're interested, I can email it to you.
LCF@DIGITALRIACE.COM

Thanks a lot, man! That .pdf would be very helpful.

Thanks guys for helping me out!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Once you put the Frankencar one on, you will realize that it was a blessing in disguise that yours broke. You'll love it. But get it fixed ASAP so a bunch of crap doesn't get into your engine.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:45 PM
lcf

I just had a chat with Mr. Frankencar and just ordered a Frankencar midpipe in silver!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by lcf
I just had a chat with Mr. Frankencar and just ordered a Frankencar midpipe in silver!
let the fun begin!

how have you been btw?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

anyone kno where i can get a firm fabrications intake?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:18 PM
lcf

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

let the fun begin!

how have you been btw?
Hehe. I've been good, man. Just got back from Florida. Was down there for spring break with my girl. I've been so busy I haven't had time to go out much at all. Definitely no time for clubbing. I miss dancing... dood I've gained 15 pounds in a year! I find it difficult to be active and maintain my grades at the same time. You'd think by my senior year of college I'd have adjusted. Oh well, I have started playing racquetball again though. But my roommate sucks a$$; no competition at all, heh. Argh, and school is busy as hell as usual... about a month left in the semester and I'm graduating in May. Good riddance! College was such a complete waste of time. That's about it I think? What's up with you? HOWDAFAUCK is the supercharger????

Going back to hw now......

ToasterMax -- Try searching for FirmFabrications on google or something? Why not support our own though?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the firm fab intake looks the best. im not sure how much worse it is in terms of performance but it cant be that much less performance than the frankencar.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by lcf
Hehe. I've been good, man. Just got back from Florida. Was down there for spring break with my girl. I've been so busy I haven't had time to go out much at all. Definitely no time for clubbing. I miss dancing... dood I've gained 15 pounds in a year! I find it difficult to be active and maintain my grades at the same time. You'd think by my senior year of college I'd have adjusted. Oh well, I have started playing racquetball again though. But my roommate sucks a$$; no competition at all, heh. Argh, and school is busy as hell as usual... about a month left in the semester and I'm graduating in May. Good riddance! College was such a complete waste of time. That's about it I think? What's up with you? HOWDAFAUCK is the supercharger????
hey man~ same here...I miss clubbing and I too gain some weight for not going to clubs for the past...man! 4 months! I really want to go but we couldnt find anybody that would stayed late with us, usually they left around 12am! imagining that!!! we drove almost 1 hour to San Francisco and then we waited in line for 30 minutes in cold weather and then after spending 25 dollars and they only stay there for 2 hours? They seems to like the music and there are 4 dance floors.....but I think they got tired real quick.

so you gain a good 15 lb, eh? hehehhe, guess your girl is feeding you too well. see, they breed you and make you fat, so you cannot go out and find another girl. I used to be 145lb when I met my gf....now I am 184lb and this happened in 2 years. She's happy with the result.

supercharger is fun....she blows a good 273whp to my wheels. but I have no torque though...only 231.

good luck at school~~
Old 03-25-2003, 11:29 PM
lcf

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

hey man~ same here...I miss clubbing and I too gain some weight for not going to clubs for the past...man! 4 months! I really want to go but we couldnt find anybody that would stayed late with us, usually they left around 12am! imagining that!!! we drove almost 1 hour to San Francisco and then we waited in line for 30 minutes in cold weather and then after spending 25 dollars and they only stay there for 2 hours? They seems to like the music and there are 4 dance floors.....but I think they got tired real quick.

so you gain a good 15 lb, eh? hehehhe, guess your girl is feeding you too well. see, they breed you and make you fat, so you cannot go out and find another girl. I used to be 145lb when I met my gf....now I am 184lb and this happened in 2 years. She's happy with the result.

supercharger is fun....she blows a good 273whp to my wheels. but I have no torque though...only 231.

good luck at school~~
Word.

Dood, if/when my girl and I ever come out to the leftside... we need to party it up at least once. I have family in Fremont (prolly around you somewhere; norcal?). Got cousins at UCBerkeley as well. And my sister goes to dent school in Loma Linda (Loma Linda Dental School)... but shes down in socal. Either way.... I plan on coming out sometime within the next year or so. An old roommate of mine who moved out to cali snatched up a girl who graduated from Harvard, yo. They're getting married this summer. Dunno if I can come out for my buddy's wedding though... Who knows?

Heh. I plan on getting in shape again. 2 years ago I was in the best shape of my life... damn how life changes so quickly.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:51 PM

sure sure~

I live in Fremont! small world, eh? and I work near Berkeley

we will sure hang out when you are here!

Originally posted by lcf
Word.

Dood, if/when my girl and I ever come out to the leftside... we need to party it up at least once. I have family in Fremont (prolly around you somewhere; norcal?). Got cousins at UCBerkeley as well. And my sister goes to dent school in Loma Linda (Loma Linda Dental School)... but shes down in socal. Either way.... I plan on coming out sometime within the next year or so. An old roommate of mine who moved out to cali snatched up a girl who graduated from Harvard, yo. They're getting married this summer. Dunno if I can come out for my buddy's wedding though... Who knows?

Heh. I plan on getting in shape again. 2 years ago I was in the best shape of my life... damn how life changes so quickly.