5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Line-in convertor for MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Line-in convertor for MP3 player

I have a 2001 Maxima SE without the Bose upgrade. Just got an iPod MP3 player and want to plug it in directly into the head unit. I don't like the quality of FM tranmitters and cassette adapters. Does anyone know of a company that makes such an adapter for the Maxima? Here is a company that makes them for many other car makes:

http://peripheralelectronics.com

TIA
Old 03-12-2003, 07:36 PM

Re: Line-in convertor for MP3 player

Originally posted by Billupnorth
I have a 2001 Maxima SE without the Bose upgrade. Just got an iPod MP3 player and want to plug it in directly into the head unit. I don't like the quality of FM tranmitters and cassette adapters. Does anyone know of a company that makes such an adapter for the Maxima? Here is a company that makes them for many other car makes:

http://peripheralelectronics.com

TIA

I use the FM unit - it works pretty well, but you've got to try a few different frequencies. Sound quality can vary quite a bit.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You may want to check out www.altimas.net. I remember a while back a post about this.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:02 AM

Don't these iPods rock?

What size did you get?

Where are you going to mount it?

Tell, tell, tell!!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by maxxximus
Don't these iPods rock?

What size did you get?

Where are you going to mount it?

Tell, tell, tell!!

The thing is awesome. I bought a 10GB model, but haven't decided if I'll mount it at all. I don't need anything that makes my car that much bigger a target.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:51 AM

I kind of have a hybrid cell phone/discman mount kit thing going, but not sure if I will keep it. Before that, I had a neoprene case for the iPod that had a cell phone mount on it. I adhered the matching adapter to the dash right behind the ignition where I could see the iPod display right under the gauges...easy to remove, yet functional...
Old 03-13-2003, 09:13 AM

I have an Archos Jukebox mp3 player and am using the cassette adapter. Sound quality is pretty good but the damn wires are cumbersome at best. If anyone has some good suggestions on how to get this thing hooked up intelligently, I'd love to hear it!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:33 AM

Well not to brag...

Right now I am using a suck-*** tape adapter. However, I am going to get my Kenwood x815 in the Max ASAP and that has line in through the CD-changer control...this is the absolute best way to do this deal. Get a head unit that can accept some form of sound in.

Alot of discussion has been had about adpating the signal from the CD-changer control that exist within the Bose system and i am not sure if they have come to any conclusions other than its very hard

There is also the option of a hardwire FM modulator through your antenna input. This apparently works better than the over-the-air methods.

However an excellent piece of equipment for over the air play is this:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/
Haven't seen one yet, but looks like a winner.