5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How do you get at it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 12:46 PM

How do you get at it?

I noticed that one of the spark plugs on my new '03 SE is completely covered by the aluminum intake manifold.
It is the rear middle plug.
Has any one been able to replaced this plug with out removing the Intake manifold?

How difficult is it to remove the intake?

Having run platinum plugs in other cars, I believe that they last a long time (>50K miles). But, the threads get siezed up in the head.
Seeing that we have a aluminum heads, siezed threads are a bad thing.

I wish I could pull the plugs out and put some anti-seize compound on them just for good measure.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: How do you get at it?

You need a medium socket extension with either a wobbly end or an angled joint. You have to push it through the cabling and hoses above. It's though, but it's not impossible to get at without taking the manifold off.

Originally posted by TitaniumSE_MAX
I noticed that one of the spark plugs on my new '03 SE is completely covered by the aluminum intake manifold.
It is the rear middle plug.
Has any one been able to replaced this plug with out removing the Intake manifold?

How difficult is it to remove the intake?

Having run platinum plugs in other cars, I believe that they last a long time (>50K miles). But, the threads get siezed up in the head.
Seeing that we have a aluminum heads, siezed threads are a bad thing.

I wish I could pull the plugs out and put some anti-seize compound on them just for good measure.