5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Alignment suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 02:04 PM

Alignment suggestions

I finally installed the suspension mods, and have a question regarding the alignment. I'm running Maxspeeds on stock shocks, Addco RSB, and Bomz FSTB. Wheels and tires were put on over the weekend.

My question is about alignment settings. Should the car be aligned to stock specs, or should different settings be used (camber, toe, etc).

The car is strictly a street set-up, no autocross or track.

Any suggestions or experiences that others have had?

Thanks,
John
Old 03-18-2003, 04:20 PM

Re: Alignment suggestions

Originally posted by MoCoMax
I finally installed the suspension mods, and have a question regarding the alignment. I'm running Maxspeeds on stock shocks, Addco RSB, and Bomz FSTB. Wheels and tires were put on over the weekend.

My question is about alignment settings. Should the car be aligned to stock specs, or should different settings be used (camber, toe, etc).

The car is strictly a street set-up, no autocross or track.

Any suggestions or experiences that others have had?

Thanks,
John
Hey how much different is the hanlding/ride quality after those mods? I am considering doing the very same thing.

You should always get an alignment after you lower your car. It might not show up for several thousand miles but eventually it will eat up your tires depending on how out of spec they are from the new springs.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Alignment suggestions

Originally posted by UCF_94lude

Hey how much different is the hanlding/ride quality after those mods? I am considering doing the very same thing.

You should always get an alignment after you lower your car. It might not show up for several thousand miles but eventually it will eat up your tires depending on how out of spec they are from the new springs.
He wasn't asking whether he should get an alignment, but how that alignment should be done.

MoCoMax, I don't have the answer, but am as interested as you. My tokicos arrive thursday and my H&R's are waiting in the closet.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Alignment suggestions

Originally posted by Hobert

He wasn't asking whether he should get an alignment, but how that alignment should be done.
Doh! my bad. I would align them to stock settings then. No need for extra negative camber which would help in cornering but eat up your tires quicker. Maybe someone else has another opinion.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alignment suggestions

Doh! my bad. I would align them to stock settings then. No need for extra negative camber which would help in cornering but eat up your tires quicker. Maybe someone else has another opinion.
Thanks for the opinion, that was much more helpful.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:19 PM

Re: Re: Alignment suggestions

I knew the RSB and springs would have some effect, but I swear I'm driving a different car. The body roll is gone. One of the most annoying things about this car is its tendency to spin the inside front tire when coming out of a corner. That tendency has been greatly reduced, and the tires feel far more securely planted on the ground.

I spoke to my mechanic today (he charged me less than $200 to put the springs in and install the RSB), and he told me he didn't align the car because he wasn't sure whether the stock specs were appropriate after the springs were installed. At this point, I'll probably have him just use the stock specs, and maybe add a touch of negative camber to help with the cornering

The ride quality with the springs was pretty much the same as stock, except for the tendency for the rear to bottom out easier (that's the drawback to leaving the stock shocks in). When I put the new wheels on over the weekend, the ride became noticably stiffer (which is to be expected when going from a 50 to a 40 profile tire). I love the ride, but find myself paying more attention to potholes.

The drop with the Maxspeeds is just about perfect. Ideally I would have liked a little more front drop, but I can live with what I got. All things considered, it was money well spent.

Next up are the clears (just have to find bulbs), and the Frankencar, which I've left for last. All I have to do now is find someone with a 2002-03 who is willing to trade out their clear taillights for my smoked ones.