5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

!!!ECU Update For Throttle By Wire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just called SOmerset Nissan in Jersey about it and they told me they never heard of it. Please someone scan it in so I can shove it in their face when I go
Old 03-19-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by remykins
I just called SOmerset Nissan in Jersey about it and they told me they never heard of it. Please someone scan it in so I can shove it in their face when I go
Yes please. I want this done ASAP. Thanks
Old 03-19-2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by 2k2SEmax
[B]

Check your PM inbox. I just sent you a fax #.
Consider it on the way, 4 pages and a cover sheet!

--------- NOTE: ---------------
I had a chat with my tech and he let me know the "ECM ID CODE" that I made reference to is used during the programming procedure to access the proper update information, I guess its like a file-name for the update. Sorry!
-------------------------------
Old 03-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by SR20DEN
Software update? Are they going to upgrade us from windows to doors?
Doors =

Please don't use that word again!
Old 03-19-2003, 11:11 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Doors =

WTH are you talking about man?
Old 03-19-2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Doors =

Old 03-19-2003, 11:39 AM

Frankly how an ECu update for the throttle by wire will "increase" HP is beyond me....Can someone explain it to me....

If the deal claims it will increase HP, and it applies to those Maxs that hesitate, then shouldn't the dealer state that the update will increase your HP up to par???...

Unless the timing is change then I really can't see an increase in HP....

Any takers?...
Old 03-19-2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by NizanDrivn
Frankly how an ECu update for the throttle by wire will "increase" HP is beyond me....Can someone explain it to me....

If the deal claims it will increase HP, and it applies to those Maxs that hesitate, then shouldn't the dealer state that the update will increase your HP up to par???...

Unless the timing is change then I really can't see an increase in HP....

Any takers?...
Im no expert but reprogramming the ECU could change the timing since everything is computer controlled on our cars.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:37 PM

ECU updates WILL definetely increase HP...but remember, these guys are not gonna wanna do this to auto max, or a manually with no aliments...I'll check with the techs at Lynnes Nissan here in NJ to see if they can prove anything....
Old 03-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

ECU updates WILL definetely increase HP...but remember, these guys are not gonna wanna do this to auto max, or a manually with no aliments...I'll check with the techs at Lynnes Nissan here in NJ to see if they can prove anything....
i got my new update ordered... something with a new MAF be here on monday...
Old 03-19-2003, 01:01 PM
KTM

Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax

i got my new update ordered... something with a new MAF be here on monday...
Did you have to bring it in to the dealer before they would order it, or could you do it on the phone by just checking your VIN?
Old 03-19-2003, 01:12 PM

Any takers?...
Don't know if this is the issue or not, but by shortening the throttle wire, you have less lag when you press the accelerator.. Also, at the same time, you will be able to open the throttle body's butterfly more (potentially) when you floor it (if it doesn't already open completely), this could add a teensy-weensy bit of HP since you will have more air coming in potentially...

again, don't know if this is what they are going to do, but this certainly helps your engine breathe.. it also gives you more feel for your engine, which is always a good thing..
Old 03-19-2003, 01:23 PM

Hey wassup, I would also want to be updated on this link. Some HP is better than no HP. thanks.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:24 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by maxcosity

Don't know if this is the issue or not, but by shortening the throttle wire, you have less lag when you press the accelerator.. Also, at the same time, you will be able to open the throttle body's butterfly more (potentially) when you floor it (if it doesn't already open completely), this could add a teensy-weensy bit of HP since you will have more air coming in potentially...

again, don't know if this is what they are going to do, but this certainly helps your engine breathe.. it also gives you more feel for your engine, which is always a good thing..
Im sorry to this for the umpteenth time but since the search function is disabled I will.

The VQ35 lag issue is the result of the MAF and or the MAF programming not necessarily the DBW itself. The TB servo is plenty fast and moves as fast as your foot does.
My 3" PVC MAF experiment pretty much annihilated any lag and gave me some crazy throttle response.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:31 PM

Hello all...

I just got off the phone with my dealership "Gerald of Naperville" and they don't know anything about an ECU update for 03 Maximas. Is there something I can do to make my dealership aware of the update??

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:38 PM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

Originally posted by KTM

Did you have to bring it in to the dealer before they would order it, or could you do it on the phone by just checking your VIN?
i just stopped by adn mentioned it he check and all it does is replace the 2k2 MAF with a 2003 MAF ...then the update the ECU for the new MAF
Old 03-19-2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by SR20DEN

Im sorry to this for the umpteenth time but since the search function is disabled I will.

The VQ35 lag issue is the result of the MAF and or the MAF programming not necessarily the DBW itself. The TB servo is plenty fast and moves as fast as your foot does.
My 3" PVC MAF experiment pretty much annihilated any lag and gave me some crazy throttle response.
Not only that but since he did read the whole post, or doesn't understand it, he may not know what DBW means. This whole thread, like the title says is about 2k2&2k3 Max's. They have Drive By Wire so there is no throttle cable. Thanks for trying but shortening the cable would apply to VQ30's.

SR20DEN I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my MAF, modeled around the Firm intake. How did you make the adapter for the sensor? With 3" PVC's wall thickness the ID should be very close to the ID of the TB.
If done right and bent slightly to avoid the strut tower (better clearance for the filter) it could be painted any color (even chrome) and be very cheap.
Other than that the only thing that will get more air into the VQ would be a bigger TB with a modded or new upper IM. Oh yea, or FI
Old 03-19-2003, 02:37 PM

i just stopped by adn mentioned it he check and all it does is replace the 2k2 MAF with a 2003 MAF ...then the update the ECU for the new MAF
so this is just for 2002s then?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Lonz

Consider it on the way, 4 pages and a cover sheet!

--------- NOTE: ---------------
I had a chat with my tech and he let me know the "ECM ID CODE" that I made reference to is used during the programming procedure to access the proper update information, I guess its like a file-name for the update. Sorry!
-------------------------------

Anyone got the bulletin available to post?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:48 PM

Yeah, did someone receive this fax and scan and post it somewhere? thanks
Old 03-19-2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by ozdemir
Yeah, did someone receive this fax and scan and post it somewhere? thanks
Yeah same here i would like an e-mail of this service bulletin.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:04 PM

[QUOTE]
SR20DEN

It's what I thought...My 2k2 auto has some pretty good throttle response when I floor it...there is a little lag say a second or so...This is normal, then the monster downshifts and kicks!!!....LOVE THAT VQ35!!!...
Old 03-19-2003, 03:38 PM

Which dealer did u get it done? I'm in Knoxville and I need to get mine done.

Old 03-19-2003, 03:53 PM

So basically this service bulletin is for 2002 faulty MAFS??? Nothing to do with the throttle by wire lag???
Old 03-19-2003, 04:05 PM

Ok here we go.I just talked to my service manager again.The bulletin number for auto's is NTB03-023.The bulletin's heading says "Lack of power or hesitation".He also said that it was on "chart 1" on Nissan's bulletin list,whatever that means.One more thing the compatible ECM number is 23710-6Y310.I hope this helps.I can't wait 'til monday.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by maxcosity

It's called "Touch of Class" and it's a dealer installed treatment..
This is a fancy name for "wax job"
It's included in the financing, and cost $300..
It should cost you about $30 to do it yourself
Here's the breakdown:

1. They take your paint, clean it the heck up. Car Wash
2. Add a thick layer of teflon to it to protect it. BS!!
3. Add a thick layer of silicone to it to seal it in. Silicone is BAD for your paint

The paint is now guaranteed for 5 years.. If it gets swirl marks or sap or bird **** on it and the paint or coat gets ruined or faded, they will REPAINT the car for FREE - no, you cannot get a different color, they already told me that!! doh!! mmmm.. candy apple pearl metal flake.. This is total BS, it's just another way for the dealer to gank you for $300. Try going in with swirl marks in 3 years and they will give you the song and dance.. "wear and tear"

On the inside, they treat the leather, vinyl, and carpet with something that is supposedly water-resistant. If it gets stained or the leather fades or cracks from wear, they will replace it for FREE.
This material is also known as scotch-guard

Pretty cool deal for $300, eh? [B]nope, you got jacked [\B]
Old 03-19-2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by clipse
So basically this service bulletin is for 2002 faulty MAFS??? Nothing to do with the throttle by wire lag???
No this is not a fix for a "bad MAF" or SES prob.
It fixes the lag "hesitation" as there seems to be a prob with the ECU reading the MAF. It must have a hickup at some point of the throttle curve. And the MAF replacement is either because the early ones had a real fault in the signal or because so many went bad. If you notice the ECM is the main part# number that is looked at here. I would believe that the by those numbers they would know which MAF part# was put in the car and they are correcting those as well.

Sounds like there should be a recall, as we see it, but because it's not safety related they won't do it to save money. I'm just glad they'll fix it and that we have a place like this to find out this info.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Max03SE
Ok here we go.I just talked to my service manager again.The bulletin number for auto's is NTB03-023.The bulletin's heading says "Lack of power or hesitation".He also said that it was on "chart 1" on Nissan's bulletin list,whatever that means.One more thing the compatible ECM number is 23710-6Y310.I hope this helps.I can't wait 'til monday.
so if i go to the dealer and tell him about this and give him the bulletin #, they will (should) fix it for me?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by maximaman777

No this is not a fix for a "bad MAF" or SES prob.
It fixes the lag "hesitation" as there seems to be a prob with the ECU reading the MAF. It must have a hickup at some point of the throttle curve. And the MAF replacement is either because the early ones had a real fault in the signal or because so many went bad. If you notice the ECM is the main part# number that is looked at here. I would believe that the by those numbers they would know which MAF part# was put in the car and they are correcting those as well.

Sounds like there should be a recall, as we see it, but because it's not safety related they won't do it to save money. I'm just glad they'll fix it and that we have a place like this to find out this info.
Thanks for clearing it up for me. So can anyone send me a copy of this service bulletin. I hightly doubt my dealer ship will know what I'm talking about when i ask them. At least with a copy or copy via fax. I'll ahve something. Can anyone e-mail or via fax it to me???
Old 03-19-2003, 04:42 PM

Here's the Service Bulletin

Everyone can now download a copy of the service bulletin Here

I recommend you right click and Save Target As...to your local hard drive.
It is in PDF format so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. Enjoy.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:47 PM

Re: Here's the Service Bulletin

Problem.
Every time I try to download it, I get an error saying the file is damaged and could not be repaired. Any possibility of emailing it?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:50 PM

It DOES NOT work.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by VQ35DE
It DOES NOT work.
Try it now. I fixed the file. Sorry for the error.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:57 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by maximaman777

SR20DEN I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my MAF, modeled around the Firm intake. How did you make the adapter for the sensor? With 3" PVC's wall thickness the ID should be very close to the ID of the TB.
If done right and bent slightly to avoid the strut tower (better clearance for the filter) it could be painted any color (even chrome) and be very cheap.
Other than that the only thing that will get more air into the VQ would be a bigger TB with a modded or new upper IM. Oh yea, or FI
The sizes are much different. Our MAF is 70mm just like the TB. MOst PVC is measured ID which means the 3" PVC has an inner diameter of 76.2mm. My A/F meter showed that anything above 4000 rpm under WOT was in a lean condition. This makes perfect sense because the probe cannot account for all of the air thats going past it. The volume is the same but the air velocity is less across the larger area. I didn't use this setup for very long because I had no way to tune it. For normal street driving it was awesome but for racing it sucked.

The mount was simple. I used standard PVC that has a 1/4" wall thickness. I drilled a hole in the PVC to a near perfect size to mount the probe and have it seal. Then I shaved a flat spot across that hole for stability and used the same screws from the oem MAF.

You can't see all of the details in the picture but this is basically it.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:03 PM

Thanks. Just DL it. I'll be making a copy of it and be bringing it to the dealership next week.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:08 PM

Does anyone know if there will be a remedy for auto's?

ARFF

EDIT:

AHHH!!! I read that page, but missed that info. SORRY. Thanks... again, but to me
Old 03-19-2003, 05:18 PM

I think there is a TSB for auto's too, see previous page for #'s...
Old 03-19-2003, 06:03 PM

Re: Here's the Service Bulletin

Max03SE, Thank you VERY much for this info!! Thank you 2k2SEmax for scanning and posting this. I hope this fixes our goofy little hesitation problem! That's been bugging me since I bought the car.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:49 PM

As a "DBW" owner with a 6 speed - - THANK YOU
Old 03-19-2003, 07:28 PM
KTM

whoever gets this done first , please post your results, impressions.

Quick Reply: !!!ECU Update For Throttle By Wire!!!