5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

!!!ECU Update For Throttle By Wire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I cant wait to see what the dealer tells me when I show them the bulletin. Im sure most will just say that our cars dont suffer from this.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:20 PM

you know, I still have no clue what you guys are talking about regarding hesitation. I drive an early build 2002, and i haven't noticed or been able to reproduce it at all. of course i've read countless posts regarding this, but i can't seem to figure out what it's like.

either way, i want my ecu update
Old 03-19-2003, 08:20 PM

yup. thanks for finding this.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:30 PM

This is probably going to apply to the 04 as well because it definately has a lag as well as my wifes 350. My 03 Max doesnt seem to have it although.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:20 AM

I called the dealership and asked them if they knew about it. The guy didn't give me a yes or a no. He said I have to bring the car in and they will check it out. He also told me to bring in TSB number . I am going to bring him the whole TSB )) Today is the day. I will let you guys know ow it went.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Max03SE
...The bulletin number for auto's is NTB03-023.The bulletin's heading says "Lack of power or hesitation"...
This TSB # doesn't exist on http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

Am I looking in the wrong place? (BTW, the - has to be taken out just to get the whole number in)

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-20-2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by massvmax2003

This TSB # doesn't exist on http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

Am I looking in the wrong place? (BTW, the - has to be taken out just to get the whole number in)

Thanks,
Nick
of course the date on the TSB is from march 15th! It probably just didnt get added yet.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
you know, I still have no clue what you guys are talking about regarding hesitation. I drive an early build 2002, and i haven't noticed or been able to reproduce it at all. of course i've read countless posts regarding this, but i can't seem to figure out what it's like.

Carefull what you wish for. Everytime I take my car in for a TSB that I really didn't seem to need, my Max came back worse than when it went in!

I fear the ECU upgrade, but I will probably do it just because....
Old 03-20-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by dblrr900

Carefull what you wish for. Everytime I take my car in for a TSB that I really didn't seem to need, my Max came back worse than when it went in!

I fear the ECU upgrade, but I will probably do it just because....
I'm afraid to ask, but what did you take it in for and what happened afterward?
Old 03-20-2003, 02:34 PM

I wonder if the ECU has a built-in delay on the throttle response in order to take it easy on the automatic transmission?

Just a thought.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:52 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by Aquineas
I wonder if the ECU has a built-in delay on the throttle response in order to take it easy on the automatic transmission?

Just a thought.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:56 PM

Re: !!!ECM Update For Throttle By Wire!!!

Called Mossy Nissan in Houston. Ohhhh yeh!

He knew exactly what I was talking about. Gonna get my oil chg'd this Saturday. I'm gonna see if they can do the ECM then. They might only be able to do it on a weekday though.

Yu da' man!
Old 03-20-2003, 03:29 PM
boo

Re: Re: !!!ECM Update For Throttle By Wire!!!

Originally posted by CHAZMAX
Called Mossy Nissan in Houston. Ohhhh yeh!

He knew exactly what I was talking about. Gonna get my oil chg'd this Saturday. I'm gonna see if they can do the ECM then. They might only be able to do it on a weekday though.

Yu da' man!
Chazmax, let me know how it goes! I need to take my wife's car
in and I would like to take it over to Mossy for this TSB.

thanks,

boo
Old 03-20-2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by SR20DEN

The sizes are much different. Our MAF is 70mm just like the TB. MOst PVC is measured ID which means the 3" PVC has an inner diameter of 76.2mm. My A/F meter showed that anything above 4000 rpm under WOT was in a lean condition. This makes perfect sense because the probe cannot account for all of the air thats going past it. The volume is the same but the air velocity is less across the larger area. I didn't use this setup for very long because I had no way to tune it. For normal street driving it was awesome but for racing it sucked.

The mount was simple. I used standard PVC that has a 1/4" wall thickness. I drilled a hole in the PVC to a near perfect size to mount the probe and have it seal. Then I shaved a flat spot across that hole for stability and used the same screws from the oem MAF.

Here is some diameters I have using a caliper.
The TB's I.D. is 73.5-74.1mm
Stock MAF I.D. is 69.5-70.1mm
Frankencar 68mm
Frankencar W/both ends cut off 72mm*
Firm Fab 70mm

*since the Frank tube is cut using a crimp style cutter it flares inward. But with the size of the MAF with the Frank no use can be made the extra 3mm. I don't think it would really help the much anyway right...
Old 03-20-2003, 05:19 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by maximaman777

Here is some diameters I have using a caliper.
The TB's I.D. is 73.5-74.1mm
Stock MAF I.D. is 69.5-70.1mm
Frankencar 68mm
Frankencar W/both ends cut off 72mm*
Firm Fab 70mm

*since the Frank tube is cut using a crimp style cutter it flares inward. But with the size of the MAF with the Frank no use can be made the extra 3mm. I don't think it would really help the much anyway right...
The TB is 70mm. You can't get an accurate measurement unless you remove it and measure from the back side. The front is tapered out.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:01 PM

went to a dealer today. they checked it out. he said that he didn't feel any hesitations (weird), but they will fix it anyway because it applies to my car . And the MAF will have to be replaced too. So, I am going back next week (they are waiting for a new MAF to come in) and they will fix it altogether.
Originally posted by Vadim
I called the dealership and asked them if they knew about it. The guy didn't give me a yes or a no. He said I have to bring the car in and they will check it out. He also told me to bring in TSB number . I am going to bring him the whole TSB )) Today is the day. I will let you guys know ow it went.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:41 PM

Re: Here's the Service Bulletin

Originally posted by 2k2SEmax
Everyone can now download a copy of the service bulletin Here

I recommend you right click and Save Target As...to your local hard drive.
It is in PDF format so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. Enjoy.
The bulletin says it is only for Maximas with manual transmissions this is kind of upsetting.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:56 PM

read the whole thread, he mentions the tsb number for autos.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by Vadim
went to a dealer today. they checked it out. he said that he didn't feel any hesitations (weird), but they will fix it anyway because it applies to my car . And the MAF will have to be replaced too. So, I am going back next week (they are waiting for a new MAF to come in) and they will fix it altogether.
Did you leave your intake on? Or did you remove the Frank and any other mods they could see?
Old 03-21-2003, 05:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Called my local dealer to schedule a 30k in three weeks. Mentioned the bulletin to the manager and, big shock, her response "huh?"!

I expected this, so I had the bulletin # in hand and passed it along. Hopefully they are smart enough to research this before I bring it in. I don't expect that they will do it then ahd there, since I'm getting a full servicing, and they will, no doubt, need to order a new MAF.

Can't wait to hear the first results.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:05 AM

NTB03-023 (AUTOS)

Can someone please scan & post TSB# NTB03-023 (this is the one for autos)? My dumb dealers will have to see it to know what it is. THANKS
Old 03-21-2003, 06:28 AM

Re: NTB03-023 (AUTOS)

Originally posted by VQ35DE
Can someone please scan & post TSB# NTB03-023 (this is the one for autos)? My dumb dealers will have to see it to know what it is. THANKS
Ditto!! Can someone post this one up as well. Depending on their mood, my dealer will NOT touch anything unless I show it and point to the numbers on the doc. If they have to look it up, forget it.

Thanks to however can post this.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: !!!ECM Update For Throttle By Wire!!!

Originally posted by boo

Chazmax, let me know how it goes! I need to take my wife's car
in and I would like to take it over to Mossy for this TSB.

thanks,

boo
boo,

No prob...

They (service) said they might not get me in this Saturday, but I'm gonna try to get there as early as possible. I'll let ya know.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:11 AM

Please Let Me Know ABout this

I have a 2k3 6 speed, and would love to know if your dealer is for real, I notice the problem as well. I would love to get it fixed, when are you going in to get this done, and who is your dealer?
Thanks
adam
Old 03-21-2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

You definately should know if you had the hesitation (unless you are an extremenly herky-jerky driver anyway). I will describe the symtoms I have the best that I can..
Even passengers notice it in my car. It feels like a jerky foot on the accelerator, even when you are smooth as butter. Feels like you let totally off the gas then stomp it. Its really just a split second or so, most noticeable when you are changing from partial throttle, to easing down on the throttle. I'm guessing the reason the TSB mentions 2-3k rpms is this is the most noticeable point in the power curve you can feel it.
Do this: leave your car in 2nd or 3rd, drive a steady speed anywhere between 2-3k rpm for several seconds, then ease down smoothly on the gas, way down. I get the hesitation one in every 3 times I do this. It really jerks the car, to a passenger it feels like you let totally off the gas then stomp it for a split second, then it smooths out and works normally.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:55 AM

My car is at Rosenthal Nissan right now for 15K service, wind noise TSB and hesitation TSB. I spoke to my service mgr and left copies of both TSBs with him. He has never tried to bs me over the last 11yrs so I trust him to be honest (note: the sales team is completely different story). I fully expect that both of these issues will be taken care.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by tita6

You definately should know if you had the hesitation (unless you are an extremenly herky-jerky driver anyway). I will describe the symtoms I have the best that I can..
Even passengers notice it in my car. It feels like a jerky foot on the accelerator, even when you are smooth as butter. Feels like you let totally off the gas then stomp it. Its really just a split second or so, most noticeable when you are changing from partial throttle, to easing down on the throttle. I'm guessing the reason the TSB mentions 2-3k rpms is this is the most noticeable point in the power curve you can feel it.
Do this: leave your car in 2nd or 3rd, drive a steady speed anywhere between 2-3k rpm for several seconds, then ease down smoothly on the gas, way down. I get the hesitation one in every 3 times I do this. It really jerks the car, to a passenger it feels like you let totally off the gas then stomp it for a split second, then it smooths out and works normally.
Dunno if it's what you're talking about. But when i'm driving through a parking lot at low rpms, typically in 2nd gear, the car jerks and bucks like a ****, even when i'm driving smoothly. Any throttle position change causes the car to act like I just hit the gas and let off very quickly.

I thought the hesitation was a pause before any noticable acceleration was felt. I have no experienced this.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by tita6

Tita6, you have nailed the description DEAD ON!! I have posted my impressions in other threads, and it is the same. Remember folks, this hesitation problem IS NOT THROTTLE LAG, it is as if power is LOST then regained. It is not a delay between pushing the pedal and engine responding, the engine responds sometimes by "cutting out" then accelerating briskly. It kind of feels like when you slam the car into a higher gear and let out clutch too quick, the engine momentarily "stalls" then "restarts" and pulls as intended.

Scott
Old 03-21-2003, 08:11 AM

i dont see anything on the bulletin about autos.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:13 AM

I am still interested to know if I should take off the intake prior to taking it in. I will be dealing with Courtesy Nissan. Since they sell intakes, exhaust, and other mods, I would not think they would have a problem with it. What do you guys think?
Old 03-21-2003, 08:18 AM
Horra!!

Originally posted by skandalouz
Me neither...
Old 03-21-2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by skandalouz
The TSB number for autos is mentioned on page 5 of this thread. I'm waiting to see if anyone can get ahold of this bulletin for autos and post it.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:49 AM
PoweredbyNissan

all the TSB fixes by dealerships are covered under warranty right??

and, what's the advice on aftermarket intakes? leave them in there or take it out?

Old 03-21-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777

Did you leave your intake on? Or did you remove the Frank and any other mods they could see?
I had all my mods on. they didn't say anything. they never had.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:23 AM
It's chrome alright...

as for mods it completely depends on the dealer. I called mine to ask (anonymously, of course ) about an aftermarket intake on a 2k2 Max. He gave me a song and dance about how it could void the warranty. I'll just go back to stock when I bring it in, but if I was you I'd call first (anonymously, of course ) and get their take on it.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:27 AM

If they have to replace the MAF for this TSB, do you guys think I need to take my intake off? I kinda don't want to do that. But I might want to do it anyways, cause they might screw up the intake install when installing new MAF.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:58 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by Dany
If they have to replace the MAF for this TSB, do you guys think I need to take my intake off? I kinda don't want to do that. But I might want to do it anyways, cause they might screw up the intake install when installing new MAF.
did you read the post immediately above yours before writing this?
Old 03-21-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by ripper
My car is at Rosenthal Nissan right now for 15K service, wind noise TSB and hesitation TSB. I spoke to my service mgr and left copies of both TSBs with him. He has never tried to bs me over the last 11yrs so I trust him to be honest (note: the sales team is completely different story). I fully expect that both of these issues will be taken care.

I'll keep you posted.
------------------------------------------------------

Update:

My serv rep just called and told me that my MAF does not require the replacement. I want to believe that but I'll check the part # over the weekend to be sure (there's a difference between trustful and naive). They ARE re-burning the ECM.

He told me that some Nissan rep came around and told them that oiled air filters (I currently have K&N drop-in) are causing MAF failures. He further stated that my MAF checked out OK but he is required to replace my K&N with a Nissan standard filter.

CAUTION: Don't go to Rosenthal for this TSB without putting your stock intake back on!

Also, they are applying a different wind noise TSB specific to the 2k2s. I knew that the one I had was for 00-01 only.

I'll update later to let you know if I notice a difference from either of these.

PS: Thanks to the Org, 2K2SEMax and Max03SE for the great info!
Old 03-21-2003, 01:55 PM

Also, they are applying a different wind noise TSB specific to the 2k2s. I knew that the one I had was for 00-01 only.
Do you have the number for the unpdated wind noise TSB. I'm going in tomorrow for this, but all I have is the I35 TSB which simply adds another piece of foam tape over the 00-01 Maxima TSB. I did this, but if they have a replacement part I'd rather have that. Also, hopefully the ECM update will apply since that really ****es me off at times, specifically during the summer, which is fast approaching. Thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver

Do you have the number for the unpdated wind noise TSB. I'm going in tomorrow for this, but all I have is the I35 TSB which simply adds another piece of foam tape over the 00-01 Maxima TSB. I did this, but if they have a replacement part I'd rather have that. Also, hopefully the ECM update will apply since that really ****es me off at times, specifically during the summer, which is fast approaching. Thanks
----------------
I just tried to call him but he's gone for the day. I'm leaving to pick up the car shortly. If there is any serv rep still who has the info, I'll try to get the TSB# from him. If not, it might be Monday.

Later

Quick Reply: !!!ECU Update For Throttle By Wire!!!