5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

!!!ECU Update For Throttle By Wire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ripper

----------------
I just tried to call him but he's gone for the day. I'm leaving to pick up the car shortly. If there is any serv rep still who has the info, I'll try to get the TSB# from him. If not, it might be Monday.

Later
Ok cool. I guess if they tell you what they did exactly to your car, foam tape vs new piece, that would be helpful in and of itself. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:41 PM

He told me that some Nissan rep came around and told them that oiled air filters (I currently have K&N drop-in) are causing MAF failures.
i think we (maxima.org as a whole) have already established that even cars with dry filters are experiencing MAF failures too.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Newman

i think we (maxima.org as a whole) have already established that even cars with dry filters are experiencing MAF failures too.

----------------

OK. Just relaying the message.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by 03_Silvr_Streak

The TSB number for autos is mentioned on page 5 of this thread. I'm waiting to see if anyone can get ahold of this bulletin for autos and post it.
I've got the A/T TSB- No scanner , but I can fax it to you. PM me with the details.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by DAVEB

I've got the A/T TSB- No scanner , but I can fax it to you. PM me with the details.

Hey, if someone has access to a fax and can also scan and post the AUTO TSB that DAVEB has, then do it for all of us automatics on the org.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:45 PM

Here, here...
Old 03-22-2003, 07:22 AM

I just got back from bringing my car in and they said the TSB isn't applicable. I find this hard to believe since I know it does hesitate at times, more often in hot weather. In any case, they said they checked the ECM P/N and it came back alright. My car was manufactured in January '01, does anybody know when the cutoff date was for using the applicable ECM P/N? I guess for those for which this applies, when was it built? And afterwards do you still feel a slight hesitation at times? I was really hoping this was going to do it, but I guess not.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:09 PM

TSB

Come on, somebody post it!
Old 03-22-2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by DAVEB

Anybody??!! I have a scanner but I won't have access to a fax machine until Monday... DAVEB, I'll PM you the number on Monday if nobody does it by then.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:41 PM

I am watching this thread very closely, becau sei have owned both a 2002 and now a 2003 maxima..

BOTH maximas's exhibit these problems both of which are 6 speeds.. I have been compliaing about this problem since JUNE 2002, which is why i really hated my maxima's quirks.. this tops the list..

Mind you, i think the main reason i broke an engine mount was because the excessive bucking and hesitation as mentioned previously... I only tracked my car once... SO i dont' know.

But i will report the 2003 drives EXACTLY the same as teh 2002 with the same hesitation..

ED
Old 03-22-2003, 11:36 PM

sorry to back track here, but is my 2k2 auto covered under this, and if it is, what exactly do i tell my dealer to do?
Old 03-23-2003, 05:44 AM

I went to Cherry HIll Nissan and the service mgr. saw me coming and before i even opened my mouth, asked if i was a mechanic. I told him no , he said then why are you trying to diagnose problems over the internet. he didnt even want to see the tsb and said that his guys would look the car over and then if something was bad, then they would replace it. i told him to check if my maf was covered and he refused, he said that his guys had to replicate the problem. i told him that the problem was intermitten, he couldnt care less. he mentioned to me that if my car tested fine then he would charge me $84 to check the car out. oh and i have to wait two weeks for my appt.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:22 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by ToasterMax
I went to Cherry HIll Nissan and the service mgr. saw me coming and before i even opened my mouth, asked if i was a mechanic. I told him no , he said then why are you trying to diagnose problems over the internet. he didnt even want to see the tsb and said that his guys would look the car over and then if something was bad, then they would replace it. i told him to check if my maf was covered and he refused, he said that his guys had to replicate the problem. i told him that the problem was intermitten, he couldnt care less. he mentioned to me that if my car tested fine then he would charge me $84 to check the car out. oh and i have to wait two weeks for my appt.
tell him to **** off and bring your car somewhere else.
sorry to back track here, but is my 2k2 auto covered under this, and if it is, what exactly do i tell my dealer to do?
WOULD PEOPLE PLEASE READ THE ****ING THREAD BEFORE POSTING! Every post has said "6-speed only."
Old 03-23-2003, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
WOULD PEOPLE PLEASE READ THE ****ING THREAD BEFORE POSTING! Every post has said "6-speed only."
Hmm, read page 5, there is TSB# for the autos.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:33 AM

What I don't understand is how there can be 02s for which the TSB doesn't apply, yet 03s for which it does. It would seem to me that if they fixed the problem in the later 02 ECM code, why would the 03s carry over code that still had the problem? From a code development point of view it doesn't make any sense. In any case, I'm confused over this. I was really hoping this would apply, but I have no reason not to believe the dealer since they actually seemed to be pretty cool, actually listened to what I was saying for once. Does anyone know if an OBD-2 tool is capable of reading the ECM P/N and ID?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:41 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by VQ35DE

Hey, if someone has access to a fax and can also scan and post the AUTO TSB that DAVEB has, then do it for all of us automatics on the org.
I'll post it if/when DAVEB sends it to my fax number Monday (24th).
Old 03-23-2003, 10:30 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by MacAlert

Hmm, read page 5, there is TSB# for the autos.
sorry, my bad
Old 03-23-2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
sorry, my bad
yeah so ****ing chill and you read the whole thread before crying about it.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:47 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by slickrick

yeah so ****ing chill and you read the whole thread before crying about it.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Dunno if it's what you're talking about. But when i'm driving through a parking lot at low rpms, typically in 2nd gear, the car jerks and bucks like a ****, even when i'm driving smoothly. Any throttle position change causes the car to act like I just hit the gas and let off very quickly.

I thought the hesitation was a pause before any noticable acceleration was felt. I have no experienced this.
I am a little confused now. I initially thought that the "hesitation problem" was exhibited when you stomp on the gas, and the car doesn't accelerate that instant, but instead "lags" for a second or so. This is analogous to how auto trannies pause while downshifting when you punch the gas.

However, tita6 is saying that it's the bucking you experience while letting up on the gas in 3rd gear. My car does the same thing as Chinkzilla is describing here, which is bucking while in 1st or 2nd gear, cruising the parking lot or rolling slowly in traffic. This usually happens when I let up off the gas completely, or almost completely. It starts jerking, and I have to apply gas to smooth it out.

If the latter description is the lag that everyone talks about, then I'm thinking a lot of cars have this problem. A couple of my friends have manual cars (Lancer OZ, and Ford Focus), and they both do that in low gears, and I'm pretty sure they don't have DBW. I've also read about this bucking on other car forums, and it seems like this is the nature of the manual beast. I was under the impression that all manual cars behave in a similar manner.

Can anyone enlighten me on EXACTLY what you guys are talking about in this thread? How can I try to reproduce this lagging effect? My car doesn't seem to have any, but maybe I haven't tried to use the right "setup" to experience it.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by vito1281

However, tita6 is saying that it's the bucking you experience while letting up on the gas in 3rd gear.

Can anyone enlighten me on EXACTLY what you guys are talking about in this thread? How can I try to reproduce this lagging effect? My car doesn't seem to have any, but maybe I haven't tried to use the right "setup" to experience it.

Thanks.
tita6 did exactly describe it, BUT IT IS NOTHING LIKE YOU INTERPRETED IT. Go back and read his post SEVERAL times, and my post that follows it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LETTING OFF THE GAS.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

I'll post it if/when DAVEB sends it to my fax number Monday (24th).
Good man!
Old 03-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SEturner

tita6 did exactly describe it, BUT IT IS NOTHING LIKE YOU INTERPRETED IT. Go back and read his post SEVERAL times, and my post that follows it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LETTING OFF THE GAS.
Ok, I read it again ONCE, and see what I missed the first time around, where I scanned it. If that's the hesitation, I'm not sure that I have it. I do get the bucking effect (as if letting off gas, stomping gas momentarily) when cruising a parking lot in 1st or 2nd gear, but I'm not in the 2-3k rpm range at that point--I'm less.

I guess I don't have it. I'll keep trying to reproduce it, and see if anything happens.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:28 AM

Update:

I got the car back Fri night. It did seem smoother with almost no bucking. Also, I thought the wind noise TSB did make a difference. Saturday night I was cruising with my lady and we pulled up to a light next to a BMW 330 on Rt 28 at the Dulles Golf Center. I don't think he was ready, but I was so I launched hard (no hesitation), pulled several cars on him, then missed 3rd gear, went into 5th. He started trying and caught me as we pulled up to the next red light.

This time I knew he was ready. We both launched hard, me with only a chirp. I pulled 3 cars on him by 70 and held that until I let off about 110. I kinda thought he would start to walk up on us but he didn't. I went West on Rt7, he did the ricer flyby and went East. Don't know if he was auto or manual, but I'm sure he was ****ed even though I chose not to hit the flashers.

Needless to say, I was pleased with whatever they did to my car at Rosenthal.

Anyway, jump in ride Sunday afternoon and BAM! SES! She's back at Rosenthal right now. I can't wait to hear this story.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:35 AM

Man this post is long. Does anyone have the the name of this "Update", that I can fead my dealer so he can fix my hesitation problem. Hesitation being, when i press the gas, there is a delay before it goes. Regardless of gear.

The lagging bopping when u let off the gas is typical in almost every manual car. I have had 5 in teh last 10 years. 4 of them proudly boggled alot, the 5, well, lets say, it wasnt near as bad, but it did it. Nature of the beast. VW's are least likely to do this by the way, dont ask me why....just added 2 cents.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:51 AM

Update:

I got the car back Fri night. It did seem smoother with almost no bucking. Also, I thought the wind noise TSB did make a difference. Saturday night I was cruising with my lady and we pulled up to a light next to a BMW 330 on Rt 28 at the Dulles Golf Center. I don't think he was ready, but I was so I launched hard (no hesitation), pulled several cars on him, then missed 3rd gear, went into 5th. He started trying and caught me as we pulled up to the next red light.

This time I knew he was ready. We both launched hard, me with only a chirp. I pulled 3 cars on him by 70 and held that until I let off about 110. I kinda thought he would start to walk up on us but he didn't. I went West on Rt7, he did the ricer flyby and went East. Don't know if he was auto or manual, but I'm sure he was ****ed even though I chose not to hit the flashers.

Needless to say, I was pleased with whatever they did to my car at Rosenthal.

Anyway, jump in ride Sunday afternoon and BAM! SES! She's back at Rosenthal right now. I can't wait to hear this story.
When was your car manufactured? I see you don't have the HLSD so I'm guessing sometime in 01, is this correct?

For everyone else, has there been anyone for which this TSB applies that has a HLSD equipped 6spd?
Old 03-24-2003, 07:54 AM

Re: NTB03-023 (AUTOS)

Originally posted by VQ35DE
Can someone please scan & post TSB# NTB03-023 (this is the one for autos)? My dumb dealers will have to see it to know what it is. THANKS
What is a TSB and how can i find it? Thanks. 2k3 auto
Old 03-24-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver

When was your car manufactured? I see you don't have the HLSD so I'm guessing sometime in 01, is this correct?

For everyone else, has there been anyone for which this TSB applies that has a HLSD equipped 6spd?
------------------

Check the sig. I do have HSLD.

The car is at the dealer right now so I can't be sure fo the manuf. date. I had to order it and I picked it up in early March so I think the manuf. date was 1/02.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:03 AM

------------------

Check the sig. I do have HSLD.

The car is at the dealer right now so I can't be sure fo the manuf. date. I had to order it and I picked it up in early March so I think the manuf. date was 1/02.
Sorry about that, you don't have that in your profile. I guess this sinks my theory on what cars have the ECM for which this applies. From what you have said, your car should be identical to mine as I got mine in March 02 and it had an 1/02 build date and yet this TSB doesn't apply to mine, but does for you. I'm confused now. I wonder if this is something I should take to another dealer or just accept it.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:20 AM
SMX

Ok I just got back from the dealer, had it done this morning….. They had no idea what I was talking about so I gave them a copy of the Service Bulletin they mad a copy of it. About 2 hours later they call me into the service dept saying the tech is done. He said the tech didn’t change the MAF but did reprogram the ECU. I can’t say that I felt the hesitation that many had complain about, but I can say that there is a slight difference in the car. It seem to be a little more responsive from the slightest pedal movement, It could be all in my head but like I said before I didn’t feel a problem to begin with, so the slightest change that they made was felt.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:12 AM

Where is a copy of this tsb. Please.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Greek to the Max
Where is a copy of this tsb. Please.
I don't want to be mean, but does anyone actually read through threads anymore? Here it is for those who just want quick replies to questions already answered in the same thread. This is for the 6spd. The auto TSB has yet to be posted.

http://www.scottsharkey.com/hesitation.pdf
Old 03-24-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver

I don't want to be mean, but does anyone actually read through threads anymore? Here it is for those who just want quick replies to questions already answered in the same thread. This is for the 6spd. The auto TSB has yet to be posted.

http://www.scottsharkey.com/hesitation.pdf
I'm with you everyone please read the thread before posting something!
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for this upgrade it would really help if someone could post the bulletin for autos. PLEASE!!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:36 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I'll be posting the automatic version of the TSB tonight when I get home from work. Be on the lookout for it about 5pm EST.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:39 AM

I'll be posting the automatic version of the TSB tonight when I get home from work. Be on the lookout for it about 5pm EST.
Thank You!!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, thank you much, much, very much!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:33 PM

it would take someone 20 minutes to go through it. Thanks for your kindness.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Greek to the Max
it would take someone 20 minutes to go through it. Thanks for your kindness.
It took me less than 2 minutes to find it and post my message.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:13 PM
BigCat44

So I call the dealership On today to set up an appointment for the TSB on my 2k2 Auto. Dealer tells me that they won't just do the TSB if I have no problems with the car so I tell them the car hesitates and he reluctantly schedules me an appointment. After pondering a few moments I call back and ask (anonomously)if having an aftermarket intake and exhaust would void a warranty, he suggests removing the items before coming in. Is there any dealership in or around New Mexico that won't cry about after market parts and just do some freakin work? Why is Nissan or this dealership so picky?

Old 03-24-2003, 02:54 PM

Where is the ECU located in the Maxima? I have a 2002 6spd but I would like to see if my ECM P/N matches the one on the Service Bulletin. I don't want to make an appointment and get angry or upset if I don't have to. Needless to say I am trying to be proactive. Any insight as to where I might look would be helpful....

Quick Reply: !!!ECU Update For Throttle By Wire!!!