5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stock Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stock Resonator

How restrictive is stock resonator? I knew crushed section is really bad on stock B-pipe. Will I get any gains if a have a muffler shop change section from resonator to muffler?
Old 03-19-2003, 01:49 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Stock Resonator

Originally posted by NikaL
How restrictive is stock resonator? I knew crushed section is really bad on stock B-pipe. Will I get any gains if a have a muffler shop change section from resonator to muffler?
you would see slight gains, im thinking 3-5hp for replacing the two crushes in the piping. my local meineke replaced mine with 2.25 piping for 40 bucks, so for that price i didnt mind. i checked your sig and i would get a y pipe before i got the b pipe. you will see better gains from freeing that up espically if you are fed spec 2000. then doing the b pipe after might rise the gains of the b pipe a littler more.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Stock Resonator

Originally posted by sloppymax

you would see slight gains, im thinking 3-5hp for replacing the two crushes in the piping.
Your estimate is too optimistic, sloppymax. An entire pre-production HKS catback only produced 5 hp on a 2K Maxima. Simply removing the resonator would not produce the same results.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:31 PM

Re: Re: Stock Resonator

Thanks Sloppymax.
I'm waiting for Catttman's headers. When it comes out, I'll be getting headers and Y-pipe. Did you keep you stock resonator? I don't want to remove it, because of noise. $40 is a good deal, even for 1-2 hp.

Originally posted by sloppymax

you would see slight gains, im thinking 3-5hp for replacing the two crushes in the piping. my local meineke replaced mine with 2.25 piping for 40 bucks, so for that price i didnt mind. i checked your sig and i would get a y pipe before i got the b pipe. you will see better gains from freeing that up espically if you are fed spec 2000. then doing the b pipe after might rise the gains of the b pipe a littler more.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Stock Resonator

Thanks Sloppymax.
I'm waiting for Catttman's headers. When it comes out, I'll be getting headers and Y-pipe. Did you keep you stock resonator? I don't want to remove it, because of noise. $40 is a good deal, even for 1-2 hp.

I'd strongly recommend AGAINST removing the resonator from your B-pipe, NikaL, particularly given the fact that you're planning to install headers and a Y-pipe. I'd suggest you replace your OEM resonator with a Magnaflow resonator instead.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stock Resonator

Originally posted by y2kse

I'd strongly recommend AGAINST removing the resonator from your B-pipe, NikaL, particularly given the fact that you're planning to install headers and a Y-pipe. I'd suggest you replace your OEM resonator with a Magnaflow resonator instead.
I don't want to take off the resonator either. I want my car to be as quiet as possible, while still gaining hp over stock. Will Magnaflow make my car louder?
Old 03-19-2003, 03:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stock Resonator

I don't want to take off the resonator either. I want my car to be as quiet as possible, while still gaining hp over stock. Will Magnaflow make my car louder?
Not in and of itself. But keep in mind that what you have planned will increase the amount of sound your exhaust produces. There's simply no way around that. The idea isn't so much to prevent noise altogether but to prevent resonance (aka droning). Do what I did and you'll be all right. Check my sig for details.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:08 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Re: Re: Stock Resonator

Thanks Sloppymax.

i wouldnt remove it in your case either. i have no plans for headers and kept the stock muffler so getting rid of the resonator was not a big deal. there is a slight louder grumble at idle but nothing annoying and driving around i cant tell a difference. actually i would think about headers if obx would ever produce them. my estimates for the 3-5 were for replacing all the piping cat back to stock muffler. maybe it still high, i have not dynoed yet but i should have the numbers this weekend. id stick with what y2kse says, he has been through more exhaust combos than i would ever want to venture into.