5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

B-pipe Resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 09:40 PM

B-pipe Resonator?

I have a 2k2 maxima and im thinking to buying a b-pipe... my questions is... b-pipe with resonator or with no resonator? If i will
buy a b-pipe with no reasonator... I should afraid about emissions?
Old 03-20-2003, 09:56 PM

a b-pipe doesn't change emissions, it just has that resonator in there to keep it uber-oem-quiet because for some silly reason car manufacturers think we like silent cars..

if you like the throatier sound, don't put a resonator on it.. but it won't harm emissions.. a resonator is literally just a chamber with some twists in it that muffles the sound.. and in this case, increases backpressure, which might hurt your top end power..
Old 03-20-2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by maxcosity
a b-pipe doesn't change emissions, it just has that resonator in there to keep it uber-oem-quiet because for some silly reason car manufacturers think we like silent cars..

if you like the throatier sound, don't put a resonator on it.. but it won't harm emissions.. a resonator is literally just a chamber with some twists in it that muffles the sound.. and in this case, increases backpressure, which might hurt your top end power..
The whole reason for back pressure is low end torque. At the high end you want less back pressure.
I say it is all about the sound. The aftermarket resonaters aren't restrictive enough to make a difference.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Trust me and just get 1 with a resonator. If u dont ur gonna get 1 with a resonator later on anyway, just do it right the 1st time.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:53 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Get it without a resonator. If your a big WUSS and dont like the sound, you could always add a resonator later. If you dont like increased sound, dont touch your exhaust !
Old 03-20-2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Get it without a resonator. If your a big WUSS and dont like the sound, you could always add a resonator later. If you dont like increased sound, dont touch your exhaust !
I have a muffler and i like the noise...
Old 03-20-2003, 10:57 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by GreekMaxima

I have a muffler and i like the noise...
Then you are no WUSS! I am getting a B pipe from warpspeed , with no resonator and the Y pipe... !
Old 03-20-2003, 11:01 PM

Then you are no WUSS! I am getting a B pipe from warpspeed , with no resonator and the Y pipe... !
we'll see how long u like it.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:02 PM

Last week i ordered y-pipe from warpspeed... I dont want warpspeed b-pipe because is not SS... im thinking about budget b-pipe
Old 03-20-2003, 11:03 PM

Thats what I plan on doing once stillen gets done with the freakin headers.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:24 PM

The myth that just won't die . . .

Originally posted by pimpjuice

The whole reason for back pressure is low end torque.
That is just plain wrong. There is NO SUCH THING as "good" back pressure . . . period.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think you are wrong, certain cars need backpressure. ohterwise , everyone would just run 3in without cats all the time.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:12 PM

Y2KSE is right

Originally posted by ToasterMax
i think you are wrong, certain cars need backpressure. ohterwise , everyone would just run 3in without cats all the time.
Sorry, backpressure in a system is bad for performance. Check out the book "maximum boost" by Corkey bell. "Back pressure keeps the burned, hot gas in the combustion chamber. A failure of any sort that increases backpressure seriously aggrivates the detonation characteristics of an engine."
RULE-backpressure in an exhaust system is EVIL!

See if you keep pressure in a system you create heat build up and that shortens the life of components. Basically your engine is an air pump. Air in- air out. The faster you do that the more HP you make. This is why we like turbos, you "Force" air into the engine. This is why a turbo needs 3" dia. exhaust, so you get it out (exhaust gas) faster, so you can alow the intake to get more in.
Now if you put a 3" exhaust ona 2.5 liter honda, you get a vaccum and you reduce exhaust velocity to whre it has to fill up the piping before it can get out, and that is just as bad as having too small of piping.

VRRoommm!

Old 03-21-2003, 06:00 PM

Re: Y2KSE is right

Originally posted by VQ30GTR

Sorry, backpressure in a system is bad for performance. Check out the book "maximum boost" by Corkey bell. "Back pressure keeps the burned, hot gas in the combustion chamber. A failure of any sort that increases backpressure seriously aggrivates the detonation characteristics of an engine."
RULE-backpressure in an exhaust system is EVIL!

See if you keep pressure in a system you create heat build up and that shortens the life of components. Basically your engine is an air pump. Air in- air out. The faster you do that the more HP you make. This is why we like turbos, you "Force" air into the engine. This is why a turbo needs 3" dia. exhaust, so you get it out (exhaust gas) faster, so you can alow the intake to get more in.
Now if you put a 3" exhaust ona 2.5 liter honda, you get a vaccum and you reduce exhaust velocity to whre it has to fill up the piping before it can get out, and that is just as bad as having too small of piping.

VRRoommm!

You are correct, of course. The idea that engines need some backpressure to work properly and make torque simply isn't true. What engines need is low backpressure but high exhaust stream velocity. A fast-moving but free-flowing gas column in the exhaust helps create a rarefaction or a negative pressure wave behind the exhaust valve as it opens. This vacuum helps scavenge the cylinder of exhaust gas faster and more thoroughly with less pumping losses. An exhaust pipe that is too big in diameter has low backpressure but lower velocity. The low velocity reduces the effectiveness of this scavenging effect, which has the greatest impact on low-end torque.

Low backpressure and high exhaust stream velocity can be achieved by running straight-through free-flowing mufflers and small pipe diameters. The only two exceptions to this are turbocharged engines and engines optimized for large amounts of nitrous oxide. Both of these devices vastly increase the exhaust gas volume and simply need larger pipes to get rid of it all.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:06 PM

I say a B-Pipe without a resonator. So we all know when "GreekMaxima" is at the pike. "VROOOM"....
Old 03-21-2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by clipse
I say a B-Pipe without a resonator. So we all know when "GreekMaxima" is at the pike. "VROOOM"....
HAHAHA E-Clipse
Old 03-21-2003, 09:58 PM

HAHAHA E-Clipse
"NOT".... Hey you said you like the noise, So I say go with no resonator.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:04 PM

"NOT".... Hey you said you like the noise, So I say go with no resonator.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:09 PM

Old 03-21-2003, 10:11 PM

WOWWW you are sooooo pretty...
Old 03-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

WOWWW you are sooooo pretty...
Old 03-22-2003, 04:30 AM

In a conversation with Warpspeed...

They said a resonator isn't too important on the stock muffler. However, if you have an after market muffler he said the resonator is a MUST!
Old 03-22-2003, 04:56 AM

Re: In a conversation with Warpspeed...

Originally posted by spta97
They said a resonator isn't too important on the stock muffler. However, if you have an after market muffler he said the resonator is a MUST!
I agree with Warpspeed, and I've had more exhaust combos on my car than probably anyone else on this forum.

If you want loud and maximum performance, the ultimate combination is a Y-pipe, a B-pipe with no resonator, and a straight-through muffler. But don't expect to carry on a quiet conversation under 3,000 rpm. And do expect to gain a close relationship with your local constabulary.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:07 AM

Re: Re: In a conversation with Warpspeed...

Originally posted by y2kse

I agree with Warpspeed, and I've had more exhaust combos on my car than probably anyone else on this forum.

If you want loud and maximum performance, the ultimate combination is a Y-pipe, a B-pipe with no resonator, and a straight-through muffler. But don't expect to carry on a quiet conversation under 3,000 rpm. And do expect to gain a close relationship with your local constabulary.
They also said that the stock muffler on the 2k2&2k3's out performs most after market mufflers. That's why they buy them back and sell them.

Why are we up so early on a Saturday?
Old 03-22-2003, 06:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: In a conversation with Warpspeed...

Originally posted by spta97

They also said that the stock muffler on the 2k2&2k3's out performs most after market mufflers. That's why they buy them back and sell them.
I'm afraid I have to take exception to that statement, spta97. A variable capacity muffler may perform nearly as well as a straight-through muffler, but a straight-through muffler by design is less restrictive. Keep in mind, however, that removing the OEM muffler entirely from a 2K Maxima only yielded a 2-3 hp increase on a dyno plot. So we're definitely splitting hairs here.

I replaced my OEM muffler with a DynoMax Super Turbo for two reasons. The first was to increase the diameter of the muffler's internal piping to match the diameter of my B-pipe. And the second was to deepen the exhaust tone without increasing the overall noise level of my exhaust system. I succeeded at doing both.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: In a conversation with Warpspeed...

Originally posted by y2kse

I replaced my OEM muffler with a DynoMax Super Turbo for two reasons. The first was to increase the diameter of the muffler's internal piping to match the diameter of my B-pipe. And the second was to deepen the exhaust tone without increasing the overall noise level of my exhaust system. I succeeded at doing both.
you don't have any sound clips from that do you?
i had the Dynomax Super Turbos on my last car (99 Grand Prix) and they sounded great. I was originally interested in installing them on my max, but i read posts stating the efficiency of the stock muffler.
the sound on the ST's is great, nice low rumble, not flomaster loud.
hmm new muffler now?
Old 03-22-2003, 06:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In a conversation with Warpspeed...

Originally posted by sand2kmax

you don't have any sound clips from that do you?
i had the Dynomax Super Turbos on my last car (99 Grand Prix) and they sounded great. I was originally interested in installing them on my max, but i read posts stating the efficiency of the stock muffler.
the sound on the ST's is great, nice low rumble, not flomaster loud.
hmm new muffler now?
Nope. No sound clips. But CIRCO just installed a Super Turbo on his Maxima and he LOVES IT! That's two Super Turbos and two BIG .