5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 08:13 PM

Hi,

I'm considering getting a Maxima in 2 months. I've been reading the forums and some issues have been giving me concern. Seems that quite a few people have problems starting the car and others say the engine is rough, had bent rotors, etc. Is this really a big problem?

Also.. I cant decide between a GLE and an SE/Anniversary Ed. The GLE seems a much better value, but the 17" Rims on the SE models look alot better. Someone did say that the 17" handle poorly in the snow. Any opinions on GLE/SE/Anniv?

Does anyone know if the GLE's come with the 16" 5 Spoked rims or the GXE bland hubcap looking rims?

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-14-2001, 08:37 PM

as far as the problems go, the starting problem is on all of them, i have a 2001 gxe and a couple weeks after i bought mine, it did that startup thing, its usually just the engine not catching the key code (its not a big deal, well to me it isn't). i also heard some problems about interior rattling and other small things, so far, i haven't noticed any of those problems, i think its mainly a 2k model problem, they might have fixed a lot of these small things in the 2001 models. and the tires, just remember, the bigger the rim (17", 18", etc.) the worst handling in the snow (and i think the rain too?), i got the 16" 9-spokes, and they handled pretty well in the snow this winter, but then again, i didn't go out that much. last thing, you mentioned wanting to buy a gle or a 20th a/e. first of all, there is a huge diff. in the price (gle is much cheaper) but they are diff. cars, the gle is the "luxury" edition, smoother ride, wood grain and chrome stuff (makes it look expensive) and no manual. and the se is the "sports" edition, 5-sp tranny, stiffer, more responsive ride, sporty interior (guages, shifter, seats - this is of course the 20th a/e). i mean its just your preference, but i would say, get a regular se instead of the a/e, it will be much cheaper and you can always add the cool things, the sill plates, shifter, engine cover, etc. i hope this REALLY long reply helps you in your maxima buying experience, hope to see you here soon with your new max.
Old 01-14-2001, 08:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am glad you are considering a Max. I know you have been reading about concerns with rough idle and starting probs. My opinion is this, I have been a Nissan fan for years and feel they produce some of the most reliable vehicles out there. If you read a forum or comments on any car maker you will read about problems, no car is perfect. I feel Nissan has far less problems and is far more reliable than most other makers.

As far as which model to buy, What are you looking for? The GXE is a base Max but comes with alot of standard features. The SE is for the perfomance minded, with firmer suspension and 17" wheels. The SE deletes alot of chrome for the sport look also has those black out tail lights. GLE, what I bought comes only in automatic but also is more for the luxury/elegant type, alot of chrome. The GLE having the most standard features. And yes the GLE comes with the 16" 5 spoke rims.

You make the choice, what is your flavor?

Mark

Old 01-14-2001, 09:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I drove 12 hours through the winter storm on the east coast 2 weeks ago. I have SE with 17" tires. The car handled perfectly. ABS is a lot better then the ones on the other cars. Get SE or GLE - do not pay all those extra money for AE.
Old 01-14-2001, 09:19 PM

You are probably right, the GLE is the better buy. The A/E has some nice little addons but its probably not worth an extra $4000. The last 5 cars we had were Nissan Sentra's, and so far have been very reliable. Only major problem I've had so far was the Airbag sensor constantly breaking and needing replacment.

Now a question about tinting. I would like a light tint on the windows. Do they sell them with that or is it an option and how much? My friend had tint put on and it was pretty lousy with tiny air bubbles. I know getting windows that were chemically tinted at the factory are much better, but I'm sure that comes with a price.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 01-14-2001, 09:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tint

Ask around and get tint done at a good shop. The dealership usually will refer a couple good tint shops. Look at there work and get a couple quotes, don't get the rip. Winter is a great time to get good prices on tint.

Mark
Old 01-14-2001, 11:12 PM

No prob so far ( fingers crossed )

I have had my 2K1 AE SE for 2 month now and have not had any problems yet. I picked the AE SE because of the stock skirt, 17" polished rims and add ons. All manufacturers have their problems, but Nissan seems to be the most consistant. My brother has worked at Toyota, Honda, VW and Nissan dealers. He highly recommended the Maxima, in fact, he would not let me buy any other car. I looked at the Acura TL, Lexus IS300, Toyota Camary, and the Honda Accord and choose the Maxima. Best bang for the buck! With any car in severe weather conditions ( rain or snow ), the more surface on the tire, the more surface for the car to slide on.
Old 01-15-2001, 09:09 PM

SE AE or GLE?

Ok, I am biased because I have a 2K1 SE AE 5 speed. I wanted a car I could "drive", therefore I searched for the 5 speed, and the looks of the AE just knocked me off my feet. As far as the criticism of the cost on the AE, when you consider part of the increased price is merely due to a couple of the "packages" being standard, then the price difference between a similarly equipped SE is marginal...plus you get the "legitimate" AE...not contrived by adding AE parts to an SE (not intended as an offense to those of you doing so...point being that if you're going to add on parts to resemble the AE...then just buy it outright if you have the opportunity to do so). Yes, most of the "extras" beyond the option packages are aesthetic, but you only get a 20th anniversary once, right?

GLE is a great car, but doesn't have the panache of the SE among the enthusiasts. But at the end of the day it is a matter of what YOU will be happy driving, cleaning, maintaining, and writing a check for every month. Advice...test drive the heck out of all of them until you find what is right for you. Then sit back and "enjoy the ride" as they use to say. Whether its the GXE, SE, SE-AE or top-of-the line GLE, you're still getting the Maxima soul! so enjoy! srm
Old 01-16-2001, 05:59 AM
RussMaxManiac

You know, my 2000 had the start issue when it was bran new, after about 2000 miles it went away and ever since after that it never had a single problem in that department. Yep it had a few rattles got those fixed, and a few suspension noises and tranny died, other than that it wsa fine after all that was fixed!

Originally posted by slick
as far as the problems go, the starting problem is on all of them, i have a 2001 gxe and a couple weeks after i bought mine, it did that startup thing, its usually just the engine not catching the key code (its not a big deal, well to me it isn't). i also heard some problems about interior rattling and other small things, so far, i haven't noticed any of those problems, i think its mainly a 2k model problem, they might have fixed a lot of these small things in the 2001 models. and the tires, just remember, the bigger the rim (17", 18", etc.) the worst handling in the snow (and i think the rain too?), i got the 16" 9-spokes, and they handled pretty well in the snow this winter, but then again, i didn't go out that much. last thing, you mentioned wanting to buy a gle or a 20th a/e. first of all, there is a huge diff. in the price (gle is much cheaper) but they are diff. cars, the gle is the "luxury" edition, smoother ride, wood grain and chrome stuff (makes it look expensive) and no manual. and the se is the "sports" edition, 5-sp tranny, stiffer, more responsive ride, sporty interior (guages, shifter, seats - this is of course the 20th a/e). i mean its just your preference, but i would say, get a regular se instead of the a/e, it will be much cheaper and you can always add the cool things, the sill plates, shifter, engine cover, etc. i hope this REALLY long reply helps you in your maxima buying experience, hope to see you here soon with your new max.

Old 01-16-2001, 06:07 AM

2 TCMs
fixed rotors.
Cheap paint.

Other then that I like my car.

Would I buy another nissan?
30% chance
Old 01-16-2001, 06:13 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by yongjun
2 TCMs
fixed rotors.
Cheap paint.

Other then that I like my car.

Would I buy another nissan?
30% chance
So your blaming the car for your mishap? Okay, TCM no big deal we all had that problem.

Warped rotors = driver abuse..... (Mien after 20k even with some highspeed slamming never had a problem)

Paint, hmm the paint on my 2k wasn't as good as the Sentra but it was alot better than my 98 maxima!

Old 01-16-2001, 07:20 AM
Sherwood

Don't forget about the LSD

A quick note about the AE is that it includes standard the viscous limited slip differential. I don't know what additional cost this would add to the SE but it doesn't even appear to be offered as an option. That option would go a long way to solving some of the weather handling issues SE owners complain about. I admit that I love some of the cosmetic additions it includes also, and in fact I just ordered the sill plates from an AE for my SE.

Old 01-16-2001, 09:00 AM

I'm in agreement that Nissans are one of the better cars produced. We've had Nissans for years with little problems that could be fixed. The Maxima is a really fun car to drive, and a lot of the people here drive the heck out of their cars. I personally don't race my car since I have no money to do so, but it's a nice car that handles well and rides smoothly. I don't think there's a differnce in the ride of an SE or a GLE, but the handling is different. I haven't had that many problems with the Max. I've had he starting problem occasionally, but nothing major. I got my windows tinted at 35%. It's reflective tint and not too dark that you can't see out at night. Good luck on your purchase!
Old 01-16-2001, 03:35 PM
DOM

1. Car cold in the morning drives rough. Once it warms up it is fine.
2. Heater isn't that strong.
3. Creaks in the cabin sometimes drives me nuts when there is no passenger.
4. NISSAN SERVICE IS THE WORST.
The horrible sevice from Nissan is making me think about buying a different car next time. It is just too much of a hassle for me to work with these idiots!

BTW, the paint isn't cheap. Mine is great. No chipping at all. no rotor problems
Old 01-16-2001, 07:12 PM

cool

The Maxima is an incredibly cool, classy car.

The ride in the SE AE is great. Stiff enough for me to have some fun but forgiving enough for my wife to enjoy the ride.

The fit/finish of the interior is perfect.

The car is very quiet. Much more so than the Acura TL and nearly as good as the Toyota Avalon.

Angela and I love the style and color. The car continues to get looks everywhere we go. Our realtor spent a half an hour looking over our car. She drives a Caddy.

Multiple females have stopped us to say how much they like the car.

The seats are very comfy. Get the leather seats. They are worth the money.

The ride is sporty. The back end only comes around if you really let off the throttle mid-corner. Decent weight transfer in corners. Very predictable.

So far we are very happy with the car. I expect it will be as good as the Sentra we got rid of. It lasted 10 years with no repairs other than normal wear and tear.
Old 01-16-2001, 08:00 PM

Get one!

If you experience these problems, there are some quick fixes. A-pillar rattle. I just stuck some papper towels where the dash/Apillars meet. Cheap and quick. Can't even see the papper towel in there. Trunk rattling over bumps or when the stereo is on? Well, mine turned out to be the jack. Cover the jack with some towels Glove box rattle, Mine went away, but you can stick some insulation on it. Bose faceplate, well just hope your car is still under warranty. I never had a starting proble, always starts the first time.

I would tell you the pros and cons for this car, but thats my opinion and yours would probably be different.