5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Maxima...new Compromises

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 12:07 PM

New Maxima...new Compromises

Max'ers:

I've been lurking through the posts while looking at new cars to buy. I finally went out last Friday and bought a new Y2K3 GLE, fully loaded (except Nav system).

I was quite a jump from a 95 Lincoln Continental (32 valve, Intech V-8, 260 HP, gobs of torque, “firm” air suspension setup) to go to a smaller car with a 6-cylinder. I am probably one of the older posters on this list and used to driving luxury cars that had tons of horsepower, but weren't very nimble. Continentals are faster than Town cars and Crown Victorias since they run in excess of 10:0 compression ratio and burn premium gas.

I know, I know what you're asking...why not buy the SE???

WITH MARRIAGE AND KIDS...SOMETIMES LIFE BECOMES A COMPROMISE.

I loved the SE-it handled flat around corners (like my worked, '83 original VW GTi). I really tore up the roads during a test drive (oops...back to my SCCA days over 32 years ago).

My wife HATED the ride of the SE, the look of the mags, the look of the car, the cloth interior, etc. It was too bumpy for my son in the back.

Both my wife and kids are prone to carsickness. I was tossing them around in their seats while flying over railroad ties, bumps, corners, etc. The SE was doomed.

To make a long story short...if I got leather, a sunroof (for my daughter), different rims, and a softer ride, she would reluctantly let me get it over a Cadillac CTS or the Infinity I-35.

So...the GLE looks great, car rides like the luxury car she wanted, my kids don't get sick riding in it, I have power to make up for the V-8 I gave up, and a car payment that is lower than a Cadillac CTS. I have already used the traction control pulling out from a side street in the rain.

By the way, I read some great advice. I tested the first Max and noticed the transmission slipped slightly from 3rd to 4th (of course, the salesman had no idea what I was talking about). I read about the problem here and wound up buying a diffent one with a perfectly-shifting transmission!! Thanks, guys (girls)!!

Keep the great advice coming! By the way, I may post a suggestion I am considering doing. It worked in my previous car.

thanks

Vic Vogel
Old 03-27-2003, 12:10 PM

glad to hear it. my dad has a 2k conti and i love the sound of that mustang engine and how smooth it rides, but it just handles like a boat.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:10 PM
jjs

Re: New Maxima...new Compromises

Originally posted by CVicVogel

I have already used the traction control pulling out from a side street in the rain.

Keep the great advice coming! By the way, I may post a suggestion I am considering doing. It worked in my previous car.

thanks

Vic Vogel
First advice. Get rid of the stock RE92's. SOON!!!!

Old 03-27-2003, 12:18 PM
vqman

Re: New Maxima...new Compromises

welcome to the org...glad we've been of some help to you.

The SE's also come with leather, I have a wife and kid, and went ahead and got the 6 speed with leather/sunroof, heated steering wheel, heated leather seats...everything the GLE has, except a sportier suspension...but like you, I do like the look of the GLE rims better, even though I have the Titanium Edition Tinted wheels...

you must really be old (i'm only 28) because I don't even think my SE handles "flat around the curves" but that's because you are comparing it to a Continental, and I am comparing it to my dream car...the BMW M3....

do you plan on doing any modifications to your car? or just hanging out here to find out good stuff like the tranny slipping from 3rd to 4th?

again, welcome, and hope you like your vq!

-vq

Old 03-27-2003, 12:28 PM
NT2SHBBY

Welcome to the .org and yes, you will see as many of us have, what torque steer really is!!!

I've only had mine a week now and I can see why people flock to these cars like insects to dropped food.

I appreciate the fact that as an older person you felt obliged to purchase the "softer" GLE as opposed to what most of us have, the SE's...I, on the other hand, am young (25) and like the tightness that the SE exhibits.

Good luck on your purchase and feel confident that you purchased a much more reliable and capable car than your previous 95 Conti.

Godspeed!

Old 03-27-2003, 12:33 PM

Re: Re: New Maxima...new Compromises

Originally posted by jjs

I think the GXE & GLE wear different brand of tires. I know mine had those crappy Goodyear RS-A...not sure about the GLE?
Old 03-27-2003, 12:35 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: New Maxima...new Compromises

Originally posted by VMaximus02

I think the GXE & GLE wear different brand of tires.
I think that was true in 2k and 2k1 models for GLE's (different brand and size).
Old 03-27-2003, 12:38 PM

All:

Sounds like I have 20+ years on most of you.

After driving a Conti and an Expedition...I think the SE really handles flat. However, I do notice a little bump steer when encountering any type of pavement undulation going around a curve.

Tonight...I am going to go home and play around with the tire pressures...probably do the opposite of what the factory recommends. That usually works!

I am interested in the horn mod. I blew it last night at a Jeep Laredo...and I don't know who laughed more...him or me. Horrible horn! I'm used to the Continental horn.

Vic

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
Welcome to the .org and yes, you will see as many of us have, what torque steer really is!!!

I've only had mine a week now and I can see why people flock to these cars like insects to dropped food.

I appreciate the fact that as an older person you felt obliged to purchase the "softer" GLE as opposed to what most of us have, the SE's...I, on the other hand, am young (25) and like the tightness that the SE exhibits.

Good luck on your purchase and feel confident that you purchased a much more reliable and capable car than your previous 95 Conti.

Godspeed!
Old 03-27-2003, 12:43 PM
NT2SHBBY

I am interested in the horn mod. I blew it last night at a Jeep Laredo...and I don't know who laughed more...him or me. Horrible horn! I'm used to the Continental horn.
haha...welcome to the world of JAPANESE cars!

Old 03-27-2003, 12:45 PM

haha...welcome to the world of JAPANESE cars!
yeah the horn is pathetic. i rarely use it. i just use my finger.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:47 PM
jjs

Originally posted by slickrick

Cultural thing I guess. There using a horn might be considered somewhat rude and as such they make them sound more like suggestions. Here it is "Get the #&*$ out of the way" usually.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:48 PM
NT2SHBBY

that works....so does a good old Louisville Slugger aluminum baseball bat!

Old 03-27-2003, 12:54 PM

Old 03-27-2003, 01:15 PM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by VMaximus02

I think the GXE & GLE wear different brand of tires. I know mine had those crappy Goodyear RS-A...not sure about the GLE?
SE: Bridgestone Potenza RE 92 (225/50/17)
GLE: Bridgestone Turanza (215/55/17)
Old 03-27-2003, 01:21 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima...new Compromises

Originally posted by PrinzII

SE: Bridgestone Potenza RE 92 (225/50/17)
GLE: Bridgestone Turanza (215/55/17)
ah, thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 01:22 PM

One of my first mods was replacing both stock horns with ones I bought at Autozone. Instead of "meep meep" they sound "honk honk" like domestic horns.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:43 PM

that works....so does a good old Louisville Slugger aluminum baseball bat!
yeah but dont keep the bat in the trunk unless you have a glove next to it.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:43 PM
vqman

However, I do notice a little bump steer when encountering any type of pavement undulation going around a curve.
ahhhh, the grand ole rear beam suspension....get you every time in a bumpy curve...

darn trunk enlarger/cost cutter....that is what it was good for...bad for handling though.

my Mom has a 2k2 SE...she just turned 51...

but she's cheap, and got cloth, no BOSE, and not even a sunroof...

-vq

Old 03-27-2003, 01:46 PM
vqman

and make sure the glove is REALLY tight...

if the glove don't fit, you must aquit!

-vq

Old 03-27-2003, 01:51 PM

Re: Re: New Maxima...new Compromises

Originally posted by jjs

What do you recommend as a replacement and why?
Old 03-27-2003, 01:52 PM
NT2SHBBY

bats on the floor in the back seat....no need for glove....bats are PERFECTLY legal to carry

I've had cops stop me before for unrelated issues and they have seen the bat and out of curiosity ask me what I'm doing with it. I just say "Oh I play baseball" with that huge grin on my face. I've had cops answer me back "Baseball eh?, you mean baseball with regular ***** or people's heads?"

haha....gets em every time..

Old 03-27-2003, 01:54 PM
jjs

Originally posted by grey wolf2

What do you recommend as a replacement and why?

Just about anything would be better. A lot of us think they are just plain dangerous in the wet. I know I got to about 18K on mine and could not live with them any longer, even though they still had some decent tread left. Got sick of sliding, hydroplaning, etc. with them.

As for replacements, I went to a more touring type 55 series tire, however a number of members here lean toward the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's and other lean toward the cheaper Sumitomo's. These are but 2 of a number of tires discussed here.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by VQMAN

my Mom has a 2k2 SE...she just turned 51...

but she's cheap, and got cloth, no BOSE, and not even a sunroof...

-vq
You're talking about the car, right?