5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen XD rotors/MM pads??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Despite Max, women still avoid him

Stillen XD rotors/MM pads??

Just curious if anyone has the Stillen cross-drilled rotors and metal matrix pads. How much better than stock on a 2K SE? Worthy of the $500 upgrade? Thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 02:29 AM

Re: Stillen XD rotors/MM pads??

Originally posted by stlkcdc
Just curious if anyone has the Stillen cross-drilled rotors and metal matrix pads. How much better than stock on a 2K SE? Worthy of the $500 upgrade? Thanks
I just took off my $tealin' cross drilled rotors, because they CRACKED. There were cracks all over them. I was running them with Axxis Ultimate pads. It is deffinitely not worth spending a bunch of money for stillen rotors; you are just paying for the name and that name is incredibly overpriced.

I replaced my $teallins with Race Concepts slotted rotors and SS brake lines with ATE fluid and axxis ultimates. They are really nice, I just broke them in. RaceConcepts.com sells two rotors done any way you want for $100 and lines for $85. Hope this helps..
Old 03-31-2003, 07:15 AM
Despite Max, women still avoid him

Thanks for that info. Makes me glad I asked. $500 for cracked rotors I can do without!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:00 AM
Boost.....

I've had my X-Drilled Stillen's for a couple of months now. I love them. A much better improvement.

No problems with warping, cracking or anything. But I did spend a great amount of time and care breaking them in.

Pssssst. Alex at Southwest auto.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:53 AM

Re: Re: Stillen XD rotors/MM pads??

how long did u have them for?

Originally posted by 2kGLE

I just took off my $tealin' cross drilled rotors, because they CRACKED. There were cracks all over them. I was running them with Axxis Ultimate pads. It is deffinitely not worth spending a bunch of money for stillen rotors; you are just paying for the name and that name is incredibly overpriced.

I replaced my $teallins with Race Concepts slotted rotors and SS brake lines with ATE fluid and axxis ultimates. They are really nice, I just broke them in. RaceConcepts.com sells two rotors done any way you want for $100 and lines for $85. Hope this helps..
Old 03-31-2003, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the stillens x-drilled rotors with metal matrix pads, Goodridge Stainless Steel brake lines, and Motul 600 brake fluid. This setup performed much better than OEM, which developed the groaning noise (warpage) at about 36K miles like most 5th gen maxima owners or familiar with. I replaced my OEM with the the x-drilled setup at about 60K miles. I did the recommended breakin process to settle in the brake pads and rotors. Right now I have 98K miles (about 4 months later) and I have no noticable problems. Brake pedal is firm, the rotors shows no signs of stress marks, and fade is minimized from repeated stops. My opinion is, this was worth the $$$.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Stillen XD rotors/MM pads??

Originally posted by max...to the ma
how long did u have them for?

They cracked VERY fast. I think they were developing cracks before 5000 miles. And yes, I broke them in VERY carefully.
If you drive like a grandmother then you probably wont have this problems, but then again, if you drive like a grandmother, you dont need a brake upgrade (and you certainly dont need to give stillen five bills). I am quite hard on my brakes, but I expect some stardard of durability. I can post some pics if you guys like, I need to borrow a digital camera though.

Omegasrk,
How are the Goodridge SS lines? Were you able to use the braket on the front calipers to hold them in place while you screwed them on? Just wondering because I couldnt use it with the RC lines and Im wondering if thats normal for lines.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:22 PM
wat

Me gots em tooo....no issues so far.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Boost.....

Originally posted by look2me40
Me gots em tooo....no issues so far.

Your wheels are purdy.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:31 PM
wat

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

Your wheels are purdy.

Don't be undressing her with your EYES!

Old 03-31-2003, 12:33 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

Your wheels are purdy.
woulda been purdier if they were chrome!!

Old 03-31-2003, 12:36 PM
Boost.....

Originally posted by look2me40

Don't be undressing her with your EYES!

:squin:
Old 03-31-2003, 12:38 PM
wat

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

My gurl is not a *****. Chrome is
Old 03-31-2003, 12:38 PM
Boost.....

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

Old 03-31-2003, 05:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stillen XD rotors/MM pads??

They cracked VERY fast. I think they were developing cracks before 5000 miles. And yes, I broke them in VERY carefully.
If you drive like a grandmother then you probably wont have this problems, but then again, if you drive like a grandmother, you dont need a brake upgrade (and you certainly dont need to give stillen five bills). I am quite hard on my brakes, but I expect some stardard of durability. I can post some pics if you guys like, I need to borrow a digital camera though.

Omegasrk,
How are the Goodridge SS lines? Were you able to use the braket on the front calipers to hold them in place while you screwed them on? Just wondering because I couldnt use it with the RC lines and Im wondering if thats normal for lines.
The Goodridge SS lines fit the braket just fine. Just remove the old ones and screw the new SS lines in. No fitment issues. Performance wise, the brake pedal feels firm and reassuring during stops. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stillen XD rotors/MM pads??

Originally posted by Omegasrk

The Goodridge SS lines fit the braket just fine. Just remove the old ones and screw the new SS lines in. No fitment issues. Performance wise, the brake pedal feels firm and reassuring during stops. Hope this helps.
Hmm, interesting, thanks for the info. The race concepts lines wouldnt fit in between the notch on the caliper, so when i scewed them in they turned a little. No big deal as far as function and performance, but they are poorly designed. How much were the Goodridge lines for all four?
Old 04-01-2003, 07:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stillen XD rotors/MM pads??

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the info. The race concepts lines wouldnt fit in between the notch on the caliper, so when i scewed them in they turned a little. No big deal as far as function and performance, but they are poorly designed. How much were the Goodridge lines for all four?
The Goodridge lines were part of my brake package deal. I can't seem to find my receipt for the package deal, but if I recall, my Stillen rep. offer them for $110 as part of the package. Give me some time to find the receipt and I could confirm that for you if you wish. I don't even recall who was my rep at Stillen too.