5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OH God NO!!! I got swirls???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:38 PM

OH God NO!!! I got swirls???

I took my baby to the local Hand wash place a few days ago.. and today I notice Swirls on my hood...what can I do?? what works?? Help me PLEASE!!!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 12:45 PM
NT2SHBBY

Re: OH God NO!!! I got swirls???

Originally posted by Born420
I took my baby to the local Hand wash place a few days ago.. and today I notice Swirls on my hood...what can I do?? what works?? Help me PLEASE!!!!!

try Meguiar's Scratch-X.... I wash my car myself....I hate car washes....

Old 03-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go to [http://www.zainobros.com] and order some of their products for your car.

THE most important thing about swirls to understand is that you have to water your car down BEFORE washing with soap. The water will get rid of large deposits that can swirl even as you clean with the soapy sponge.

Use quality products (like Zaino) that won't damage you car and will help contribute to keeping it looking good.

Also, get a good clay bar and use it to help alleviate the swirls.

-R
Old 03-31-2003, 02:11 PM

Zaino & Clay won't help swirls. The Z has no cleaning/abrasive agent in it & clay just cleans out surface containments.

If you really want to remove them, I would recommend something like 3m swirlmark remover then step it something more abrasive if that don't work. Also, if you can get hold of obrital buffer like a Porter Cable 7336, that would help.

If you just want to not see them and cover them up then you can use a glaze or so other wax with fillers.

Also be careful with your drying techniques because that is really where a lot of the swirls come from. Use a Microfiber towel, 100% (soft) cotton, or something like the absorber to dry your car.

Check out this site for other tips:

http://www.autopia.org/
Old 03-31-2003, 02:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MarcusJY
Zaino & Clay won't help swirls. The Z has no cleaning/abrasive agent in it & clay just cleans out surface containments.

I would recommend something like 3m swirlmark remover then step it something more abrasive if that don't work. Also, if you can get hold of obrital buffer like a Porter Cable 7336, that would help.

Also be careful with your drying techniques because that is really where a lot of the swirls come from. Use a Microfiber towel, 100% (soft) cotton, or something like the absorber to dry your car.

Well said... I forgot all about the 3M product. Orbital buffer would really help, but if you can't get your hands on one (and can't pay the professional price for someone else to do it), then go in slow, small circles.

And I recommend the absorber... I use it all the time, and it takes most of the water off in drying without any effort.

R
Old 03-31-2003, 04:30 PM

You can use Zaino's Z-5 Polish For Swirl Marks & Fine Scratches. Also, visit Sal's "Trick & Tips" section at:

http://www.zainobros.com/files/tips.htm

Always use a linear motion to apply and remove all waxes and polishes- NEVER circular motion (unless you're dealing with yellow snow rubbed into your eyes by someone named Nanook. If you're a Frank Zappa fan, you'll know what I'm talking about here). This seems to work well. I have a 2k1 Gray Lustre SE and so far no swirls, per Mr. Zaino's instructions.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:49 AM

All Z-5 does is hide minor swirls, it has no abrasive in it so it really does not remove swirls. Even Sal (Zaino guy) will tell you to use 3m swirl remover for real swirls.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:04 AM
lcf

Here's a tip: Wash/wax/whatever the car in lines instead of in a circular motion. You remember, Karate Kid right? Well, they were giving misinformation. Instead of wax[ing] on, wax[ing] off (in the circular motion like in the movie), on the hood, roof, and trunk, you want to wax in lines that follow the current of air over the car when in motion; "front to back" if that makes sense. Waxing in straight lines will prevent swirlmarks.

For the side of the car, the doors, etc., you're supposed to wax up and down. Orbital polishers, contrary to popular belief, follow a random orbit as to prevent swirlmarks. Be careful with some orbital polishers though, the cheap ones only go in circles and you will swirl your car like mad. I prefer handwaxing... but damn it makes your forearms sore.

Old 04-01-2003, 06:36 AM

listen to MarcusJY and LCF. they sound like they know what they are doing.

the way to get rid of them is to use the 3M and a porter cable.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:45 AM

3m stuff does wonders, even with my Craftman's Orbital on my old black 95
Old 04-01-2003, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by MarcusJY

If you really want to remove them, I would recommend something like 3m swirlmark remover then step it something more abrasive if that don't work. Also, if you can get hold of obrital buffer like a Porter Cable 7336, that would help.

If you just want to not see them and cover them up then you can use a glaze or so other wax with fillers.

You beat me to it!

seriously though, you need to polish them out not just cover it.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:45 AM
JUVIN's ride

After you remove the swirls go to zainobro.com and it tells you how to prep & wax. It will expalin to you the step by step procedure from clay to polish.

take a look at my ride. This is after about 15 coats of zaino.

http://community.webshots.com/sym/im...0vqVVSX_ph.jpg

Keep in mind when I bought the car, for the first 3 days I had it in my garage doing the Zaino thing. I follwed the directions to the T. On a weekly basis, depending on weather, I wash the car 2 or 3 times a week and use detail spray right after, that is the key in keeping the shine.

The big key is to wash the car yourself. No one will care for the look as much as you. All my cleaning rags and washing mitts are all microfiber. These rags are bada$$. You can go to, http://www.properautocare.com/index.html.

This site has all kinds of info, products, method of procdures for anything that has to do with cleaning what ever on your car. You can also get the microfiber rags etc, you get the picture.

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck.

One............Jr
Old 04-03-2003, 02:27 AM

3M

Try the 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover - it works very well. Available for both dark and light cars.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:32 AM

My max hasn't ever seen a car wash. I always washed my car myself. Spend about two hours detailing in (in the summer not the winter). I was starting to get little swirls but got them out with my Porter cable buffer. I used Zimole polish .