5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k3 SE or 2k3 GLE

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2k3 SE or 2k3 GLE

In the process of buying a 2k3, was wondering if you guys/gals would give me some suggestion on whether a 2k3 SE with TE, ME, TCS is better of a choice than a 2k3 GLE ME, spoiler, TCS.

Also I'm trying to work down a dealer (Gerald Naperville IL) to 25000, any suggestion on a price range for these 2 cars would be appreciated.

Bill
Old 04-05-2003, 04:23 PM

You should be able to get either the SE or GLE for 25K for the features you want. Go to carsdirect.com and build the car you want and take that price to your dealer and have them beat that price. They will because the 2004 is out. As far as choosing which Maxima to get the SE or GLE...

Depends on if you think the interior look or the exterior look of the car is more important. I think the SE interior looks better over the GLE because of the Titanium Guages and trim.

I think the GLE exterior with the spoiler is better looking due to the GLE wheels and the chrome door handles. However if you can live with out the chrome door handles you can compromise and get a SE and add a molded wooddash kit to the interior like I did
Old 04-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Banned

I personally like the SE look both inside and out. I would say the biggest decision between the two trims would come down to this: do you want a somewhat stiffer ride, as in more sports-tuned, OR would you prefer a softer ride, more akin to a luxury car?

If you want a stiffer ride, go for the SE. If you want a more plush, soft ride, get the GLE. Bear in mind, however, that the SE's ride is not that stiff by most people's standards, so don't think that it's like riding on a wooden bench.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:23 PM

SE is generally more popular. The only diff is suspension. Not that great of a diff but noticeable. Do you like a more spirited ride or a more plush ride? Spirited =SE Plush =GLE
Old 04-05-2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by vito1281
I personally like the SE look both inside and out. I would say the biggest decision between the two trims would come down to this: do you want a somewhat stiffer ride, as in more sports-tuned, OR would you prefer a softer ride, more akin to a luxury car?

If you want a stiffer ride, go for the SE. If you want a more plush, soft ride, get the GLE. Bear in mind, however, that the SE's ride is not that stiff by most people's standards, so don't think that it's like riding on a wooden bench.

i tested both the se 6spd and the gxe today....the engine is superb but...there's just something it's lacking that mine has (3rd gen)...dont get me wrong, they are remarkable autos and i almost signed for a pewter 6spd with leather and hlsd for about 32k. But i took mine for a drive one more time and that sold me....there's just something it's missing....oh and btw...DAMN!! the salesguy was tripped when i chirped third gear
one major thing i noticed...my revs are usually at 2800 when i'm doing about 82 in 5th gear..on the 2k3 se however, it was at 3100 just over 70....i guess this is due to its having a 6th gear...might be the indepent susp that has me hooked...nice cars but i'm not ready for change yet.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lophix

i tested both the se 6spd and the gxe today....the engine is superb but...there's just something it's lacking that mine has (3rd gen)...dont get me wrong, they are remarkable autos and i almost signed for a pewter 6spd with leather and hlsd for about 32k. But i took mine for a drive one more time and that sold me....there's just something it's missing....oh and btw...DAMN!! the salesguy was tripped when i chirped third gear
one major thing i noticed...my revs are usually at 2800 when i'm doing about 82 in 5th gear..on the 2k3 se however, it was at 3100 just over 70....i guess this is due to its having a 6th gear...might be the indepent susp that has me hooked...nice cars but i'm not ready for change yet.
80 in 6th is about 2400-2500 rpms on mine.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:42 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

I hear ya on that, w/ a possibility of a better-paying job on the way, I too am torn b/w an SE and a GLE. From having a '98 SE w/ the OEM 16" 5-stars at the time, the ride was sporty but not harsh, so I'm banking that the SE w/ 17"s and the sport suspension may ride sportier than my '98 SE w/ 16"s, but shouldn't be completely punishing, given the nature of the road conditions here in metro Detroit. But, then again I'm inclined to have all the toys and have a combo of luxury & sport, so in this case, I'd get another SE, but then again GLE's have all the toys, and nice 17"s too, but w/ prob. a softer ride so for me it wouldn't matter if I had an SE or GLE, just as long as the deal is right, i'm in either one
Old 04-05-2003, 07:47 PM

Unless you want a 6sp tranny, it really doesnt matter which one you get. Outside of the tranny options, both share the same major features with some slight trim differences (wheel style, cloth/leather type, tires, etc,...) And with the 2K4 Maxima filling lots faster than the 2K3s are leaving the lots, you should be able to get a good deal on either trim level.

Regarding the SE vs GLE suspension differences, I really question whether or not my 2K2 SE can measurably outhandle the GLE; IMO the jury is out on that Sport Tuned Suspension of the SE.

Also, the only reason why the SE model is "so popular" is that only 5% of 2K2-2K3 Maximas are base GXE models; the idea being (per Nissan) that "GXE Buyers" would either go for a base SE or 3.5SE Altima as the alternatives.

In your instance, I'd go for the GLE only because they're not as common as the SE. (When I see a GLE, I personally consider it an Infiniti I35 in Maxima sheetmetal. NOT a bad thing!! )

Peace.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:40 PM

New member here

I just bought a new 2003 Maxima SE today. About the only option it has is a sunroof and rear spoiler. I paid $22,400 for it which is $4,767 under the $27,167 msrp for this car. It had 9 miles on it when I test drove it and still had the plastic sheeting on it from shipping.

I love this car!

Anyone know where to get aftermarket accessories for it? I'm thinking of tinting the windows and possibly adding a wood dash kit.

Did I mention that I love this car???
Old 04-05-2003, 09:53 PM

id take the se.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:13 PM

Now hold on a second... if you're really not into the "sporty" nature of the SE auto... go w/ the GLE .. the rims are sweet, 17" .. you can add the spoiler to the GLE and make it look sportier and more complete (as far as the rear end is concerned) ..

I live and drive on the rugged streets of Chicago... while I love having the sport suspension (if you can even call it that) of the SE, sometimes I wish I had a cushier suspension to soak up all the city bumps and potholes .. maybe I wouldn't hear as many rattles and creaks ...

do take this into consideration..
Old 04-06-2003, 09:21 AM
BiggD23

Re: New member here

Originally posted by Jules Maximus

Anyone know where to get aftermarket accessories for it? I'm thinking of tinting the windows and possibly adding a wood dash kit.

Try www.custommaxima.com. A little pricey sometimes, but they have plenty of good stuff. Congrats on the purchase...I just got my 2k3 SE on Thursday!

Old 04-06-2003, 12:42 PM

small world

Hey,
I live in Naperville. I was looking at Gerald as well, but ended up buying from Continental Nissan. I just installed a molded Oxford Burlwood 9 piece dash kit from Joshua tree and love it ( Woodtrim.com). It is identical to the OEM GLE kit which is also synthetic. It matches my frost leather interior perfectly.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2k3 SE or 2k3 GLE

Originally posted by Jo Jo Dawg
In the process of buying a 2k3, was wondering if you guys/gals would give me some suggestion on whether a 2k3 SE with TE, ME, TCS is better of a choice than a 2k3 GLE ME, spoiler, TCS.

Also I'm trying to work down a dealer (Gerald Naperville IL) to 25000, any suggestion on a price range for these 2 cars would be appreciated.

Bill
Tough to argue something subjective - as you've read above, you can option them up to pretty much identical except for 6spd and suspension. I bought the SE because:

a) that's what I had before,
b) they come stock with V rated tires, which (supposedly, per Nissan) means they aren't electronically limited to 130

There's been a TSB running around about GLE rear suspension (think it's because it bottoms out too easily, and the fix is apparently putting SE suspension in the back. Not sure why they bothered, my SE still bottoms on speed bumps above 5 mph...

Anyway, good luck with either - great cars!
Old 04-06-2003, 03:17 PM

Re: New member here

Originally posted by Jules Maximus
I just bought a new 2003 Maxima SE today. About the only option it has is a sunroof and rear spoiler. I paid $22,400 for it which is $4,767 under the $27,167 msrp for this car. It had 9 miles on it when I test drove it and still had the plastic sheeting on it from shipping.

I love this car!

Did I mention that I love this car???
Have identical car and purchase condition.

I've added 3M Invincia Shield protection to front of Maxima SE (with MT) to protect paint from chipping. Expect to pay about $400.

Graet car. Hard to pass through the break-in period.

Love mine too which I got for $23K, but it had
matts, trunk matt and splash guards. Plus they gave me a terrific trade-in amount.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks all for your replys. Waiting on the dealer on getting back to me. I'm making him look for a Majestic Blue with black leather since they didn't have one. Might have to go with the Lustre they have on the lot.

Jhmh8 we might cross paths in our max's

RT03SE can you apply the 3M Shield yourself or just at the dealer?

I will let you all know when I get the car.. thx again for info.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:07 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Re: Re: 2k3 SE or 2k3 GLE

Originally posted by Maximax2

There's been a TSB running around about GLE rear suspension (think it's because it bottoms out too easily, and the fix is apparently putting SE suspension in the back. Not sure why they bothered, my SE still bottoms on speed bumps above 5 mph...
you're kidding?!?!? If I do end up going w/ the '03 GLE, is this something to take care of immediately or will the service dep't take care of that, and any other '03 TSB's considering the car is still sitting on thier lot, waiting to be sold?

At this moment I'm still debating on an SE or GLE, however I do start a new job Monday 4/14 w/ better pay so i'll have to give it time for a while, I will keep you guys updated when I do make the final decision.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Jo Jo Dawg

Bill
take the invoice
subtract 2,000$ cash back
and subract 550$ for dealer hold back
and u should be somewhere close
we bough a 03 GXE which sticker was
MSRP Price: $25,647
Invoice Price: $23,589
we got it for 21,100+tax
we got it at evanston nissan, we might of gotten one maybe for cheaper but the color was the one my dad wanted so we got it
Old 04-08-2003, 10:57 PM
VTEC This!

i just bought a 2k SE, and realized i dont have TCS...whats the deal?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Wat

SE, w/o Question