5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

*gauging interest.. Chromed Intake Manifold and Valve Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

*gauging interest.. Chromed Intake Manifold and Valve Cover

I am getting in contact with my chrome guy about doing some mass quantity intake manifolds and valve covers for 5th gen and 4th gen guys. Seeing as how no one I know has yet done a fully chromed/polished manifold on a 5th gen it would be nice to get these going for you guys. I think the 5th gens will be easier because there will be less prep sanding than the 4th gens.

Pricing would be in the ball park of $350 for Intake Manifold and $250 for the Valve Cover + shipping and a refundable core swap charge.

To get the pricing down I could setup a group price that would be considerably less, but would need about 10-20 people.

Other things could also be done, but more money would apply and time would be another factor.

Just let me know what you guys think, and I will also be looking for someone to start me off with an intake manifold from a 5th gen (or 2 if possible) in which pricing would be much lower.

Jason Sadler
jason@evolution-autodesign.com

You will not be able to "reply" you must "reply to this thread" because of image size
Old 04-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

even for 2k2's? i know the manifold is a little different..or is that what you were reffering to?
Old 04-06-2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
even for 2k2's? i know the manifold is a little different..or is that what you were reffering to?
The manifolds can still be dipped, the finish will be taken off in an acid bath. And as far as a quote on the valve cover it's $250.00.

Jason Sadler
Old 04-06-2003, 12:41 PM

i know there are polished valve covers for the 2K-2K1s.

uhhh...the intake manifold? i'd rahter just bust out a box full of 2000grit sand papers and start sanding...
Old 04-06-2003, 01:38 PM

Isn't the 2k-2k1 intake manifold made of composite material (aka plastic)?
Old 04-06-2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
Isn't the 2k-2k1 intake manifold made of composite material (aka plastic)?
oops
Old 04-06-2003, 02:50 PM

how about an intake manifold that makes power?
Old 04-06-2003, 09:57 PM

i've been wanting my valve cover polished....more details on how this is gonna work?....i send u my valve cover, they polish it and send back to me....my car will be out of commision then? lmk....
Old 04-06-2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by myktek
i've been wanting my valve cover polished....more details on how this is gonna work?....i send u my valve cover, they polish it and send back to me....my car will be out of commision then? lmk....
No. I will have a core unit at all times. So you will pay for them, a week or so later you will get the fully chromed one and you will send your manifold back to me. That way people don't have down time, and if someone is a jackleg and decides to not send the core back I have myself covered with a core charge that I can spend on getting a new core unit.

The manifold is a composite plastic I believe which is why you can't polish it, but you can chrome it.

Just fyi - polished units after about 6-8 months in southern states will start to dull out and need repolishing, if you live where there is snow polished parts will need sanding a ton more often. Chrome pieces don't need refinishing as long as you clean the units every once in awhile and take care of them (look at chrome door handles, or emblems).

Jason Sadler
Old 04-06-2003, 10:58 PM

I'd be interested in a chromed or carbon fiber valve cover.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:10 AM

The manifold is a composite plastic I believe which is why you can't polish it, but you can chrome it.

Are you sure composite plastic can be chromed?
Also you keep saying the valve covers are polished,them you say you'll receive it chromed. Chromed and polished are two different things. Are the valve covers chrome dipped or polished to a shine? Thanks
Old 04-07-2003, 09:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thebigsadler
[B]

Are you sure you can chrome composite plastic?
Also you say you polish the valve covers and receive them chromed? Which one is it? Chromed and ploished are two different things.I just want to know because I had my valve cover polished and was told because of the material the cover is made of,it couldn't be chromed.Let me know about the composite exhaust manifold though.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:30 AM

5th Gen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pcante1
[B]
Originally posted by thebigsadler

Are you sure you can chrome composite plastic?
Also you say you polish the vale covers and recieve the chromed? Which one is it? Chromed and ploished are two diffent things.I just want to know because I had my valve cover polished and was told because of the material the cover is made of,it could nt be chromed.Let me know about the composite exhaust manifold though.
I'm interested in the 5th Gen Exhaust manifold chroming... I also want to hear how it will be done though...

Deac
Old 04-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Exhaust manifold?

Originally posted by Deac

I'm interested in the 5th Gen Exhaust manifold chroming... I also want to hear how it will be done though...

Deac
Old 04-07-2003, 12:18 PM

Re: 5th Gen

Deac
Who said anything about the exhaust manifold? Can you even see the exhaust manifold?? Its no problem to get it done, you would just need to pull it and if a bunch of people want it done I can do it, if it is just 1 or 2 people I won't be able to get a core piece and there may be down time.

Originally posted by pcante1

Are you sure composite plastic can be chromed?
Also you keep saying the valve covers are polished,them you say you'll receive it chromed. Chromed and polished are two different things. Are the valve covers chrome dipped or polished to a shine? Thanks
I don't ever remember mentioning a polished valve cover anywhere.. i just mentioned that polished stuff will dull out after time and chrome is the better way to go.

You can chrome plastic, it's not a secret it just take longer to get the chrome to take to it.

Jason Sadler
Old 04-07-2003, 12:24 PM

Hmmmmmn.....I think Kev

needs to take one(*cough**another one**cough*) for the team.

I'd really like to get rid of that FUGLY composite look, but I'd have to see one and know what's required to remove the manifold.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Hmmmmmn.....I think Kev

Originally posted by IceY2K1
needs to take one(*cough**another one**cough*) for the team.

I'd really like to get rid of that FUGLY composite look, but I'd have to see one and know what's required to remove the manifold.

Good luck!
I like the black manifold... it goes well with the black/silver/red theme.

Old 04-07-2003, 01:23 PM

hmm...

I'm interested in Carbon Fiber Valve Cover....but if they dont make that then, Chrome Valve cover will be awesome.....
Old 04-07-2003, 01:25 PM

i thought u could not chrome plastic....b/c it would melt....am i wrong?
Old 04-07-2003, 02:01 PM

Re: Re: 5th Gen

Who said anything about the exhaust manifold? Can you even see the exhaust manifold?? Its no problem to get it done, you would just need to pull it and if a bunch of people want it done I can do it, if it is just 1 or 2 people I won't be able to get a core piece and there may be down time.

I don't ever remember mentioning a polished valve cover anywhere.. i just mentioned that polished stuff will dull out after time and chrome is the better way to go.

You can chrome plastic, it's not a secret it just take longer to get the chrome to take to it.

Jason Sadler

INTAKE MANIFOLD man....you know I meant. Chrome 5th Gen intake manifold.

Deac
Old 04-07-2003, 02:29 PM

Re: Re: Hmmmmmn.....I think Kev

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

I like the black manifold... it goes well with the black/silver/red theme.

No need for NAWWWZ....just click click click...or is that snail too slow for boost?
Old 04-07-2003, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: 5th Gen

INTAKE MANIFOLD man....you know I meant. Chrome 5th Gen intake manifold.

Deac
I got you bro, I was just confused. I have the lower intake manifold for the 4th gen in my garage to get done for my car as well as the timing chain covers and the other valve cover, but I don't think people are as chrome crazy as I am.

Originally posted by myktek
i thought u could not chrome plastic....b/c it would melt....am i wrong?
It isn't done with heat it's done with electricity. And the only part that would melt anything is the acid bath, and that won't be done on plastic parts.

For all I know it may be a tad more expensive because more cadium with have to be used before chrome, but I am not sure.. I have a call in to the guy and I'll find out EXACT info.

And kevin, you can keep your matching black piping and still have chromed manifold

Jason Sadler
Old 04-07-2003, 08:08 PM

Re: Re: 5th Gen

Jason Sadler
I meant the intake manifold. And if the composite manifold can be chromed, i'm in!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:12 PM

Is that a 5th gen intake manifold?? If it is, that's sweet.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Maxman2000
Is that a 5th gen intake manifold?? If it is, that's sweet.
4th gen manifold, sorry.. I may get a 5th gen intake manifold done just to show off what work my guy can do and that it can be done.

Jason Sadler
Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5th Gen

Originally posted by IceY2K1

:shock :eek

No need for NAWWWZ....just click click click...or is that snail too slow for boost?:wall
Purge on IC and juice. Snail is fine... just want more power.

And kevin, you can keep your matching black piping and still have chromed manifold ;-)

Jason Sadler
Naw.........zzzzzzzzzz.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5th Gen

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Purge on IC and juice. Snail is fine... just want more power.
Make sure you get a nice video of your purge in action, when I can get the time to figure out where I want my bottles 100% of the time I'll full them and take a vid of my purge. Mine is Y'd off and has 2 lines that purge out the front grill and up.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5th Gen

Make sure you get a nice video of your purge in action, when I can get the time to figure out where I want my bottles 100% of the time I'll full them and take a vid of my purge. Mine is Y'd off and has 2 lines that purge out the front grill and up.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:31 AM

My chrome guy finally called me back and told me that he can't do composite chrome for a reasonable enough price (ie-he wanted $700)..

So it looks like the manifolds for the 2k-2k1 guys are out. I think the 2k2 and 2k3 manifold are not plastic, they are metal correct?? Make me wonder if you can bolt a manifold from those years on the 2k-2k1's??? Any insight on this..?

The valve covers are fine, and he said he would do strut bars with no problem and even brackets and bolts for real cheap if something else is also getting done.

Keep the questions coming and fill me in on the manifold.

Jason Sadler
Old 04-09-2003, 08:38 AM

bump