5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

That's weird...I expected a WRX would hand me my ***...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's weird...I expected a WRX would hand me my ***...

Short version: While out running around today, had a WRX pull up beside me at a light. On green we both roll out slowly to see who's going to go, then the 'X hits it. I do too, but since I'm reacting and so started a little later he's pulling. Then surprisingly, after shifting to 2nd (happened to be manual shifting), I reel him in and go ahead about 3/4 of a car, and he stays about there until we shut off at 70.

From the stories you hear about WRX's, I expected him to pull me hard all the way. Are their 0-60 times so good just because they can get a great launch with AWD? He didn't miss a shift, because if he had I would've just jumped past him. Could've just been a dork driving, I guess...
Old 04-05-2003, 10:19 PM

Funny that you stated that. That's basically my exact experience last night as well. I was cruising home at about 40 MPH when I needed to get over so I could turn right at the next light. There were 2 cars in the way, a Toyota Camry and a WRX in front of the Camry. I tried slowing down but they kept slowing down with me (down to 15 MPH), so I jumped the gas and figured I would go in front of them. When I got side-by-side with the WRX, he decided to floor it. Ok, well this messed up my getting over, so now I'm not very happy with him. We get to the next light (the one I'm supposed to be turning right at) and he revs the engine. I'm like "whatever". So I decide that I'll play with him. The light turns green, he peels out, and I'm still waiting. He gets a good car in front of me before I even start moving. Then, I decide that I'm not about to lose a race to a WRX and have him ruin my name here on the .org. So I floor it. I peel out in first gear, and shift to second. I chirped second pretty good, but by the time I was at 5000 RPMs in second, I was one car length ahead of him. Figuring that I had made my point, I made a U-turn and proceeded to head home.

I knew that the AWD was nice, but it seems like that's about the only thing they had going. They can definitely get off the line, and maybe even beat ya in the 60', but it seems to me that they would loose in the 1/4 mile.

The WRX had exhaust. I couldn't see anything else because his windows were up. But I saw and heard the exhaust. So I can't say that it was anything more than that. But at least I now know that I won't waste any more gas on the WRXs.

I had a WSP Y/B pipe, CarSound CAT, PR WAI, UDP, and Greddy E-Manage. So I don't think it was really fair to begin with, because I'm sure I had the upper hand in mods.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:21 PM

Re: That's weird...I expected a WRX would hand me my ***...

Originally posted by Maximax2
Short version: While out running around today, had a WRX pull up beside me at a light. On green we both roll out slowly to see who's going to go, then the 'X hits it. I do too, but since I'm reacting and so started a little later he's pulling. Then surprisingly, after shifting to 2nd (happened to be manual shifting), I reel him in and go ahead about 3/4 of a car, and he stays about there until we shut off at 70.

From the stories you hear about WRX's, I expected him to pull me hard all the way. Are their 0-60 times so good just because they can get a great launch with AWD? He didn't miss a shift, because if he had I would've just jumped past him. Could've just been a dork driving, I guess...
yes their awd is what gives them their 0-60. and he cant drive his wrx good because if he had that lead and by 60 mph you were that far ahead he cant drive. they have great midrange. i have a 2k2 auto myself and raced one from a stop, 5 mph, and 2 highway races with a 5 speed wrx and won 1 highway race barely and lost all the other races. but i left mine in 3rd. so if the wrx was driven better by 60 you may have been even with him at best imo.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:35 AM
Wat

Ive raced a few of these things myself, and they arent all that fast. If you read car and driver, you'll notice that to get the 5.4 second 0-60 run, they got to do some serious drop clutchin.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:09 AM

AWD is awesome off the line but after that, it's actually a hinderence because of drivline loses and extra weight. Like you mentioned, he didn't launch at all, he took off easy, so he lost his AWD advantage.

My other car is a FWD Talon turbo. I remeber the specs on those and the AWD actually had a slower 0-60. That's why I bought the FWD at the time. But that was a rookie mistake because as I'm finding out now, modding my FWD any further than it is will be waste of time because I simply can't hook the car. Hence I got the max with HLSD

My brother-in-law just a got a WRX, seat of the pants his car does feel faster, but not by much. So it all comes down to driving.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:56 AM
JET Speed Lab

Maybe you guys raced a 2.5 RS
Old 04-06-2003, 11:00 AM
ABS

I have a stock 2K2 6SPD and I've raced my buddy in his MY02 WRX. He drives his card hard and is good with the stick. He got a better launch than me, but my low end torque balanced that out. By about 20 MPH, we were neck and neck, and pretty much stayed that way up to about 80 MPH at which point I bailed because of the crappy handling in the stock Max suspension. A stock WRX will beat a stock Max on the twisties any day. In a straight line, it is a pretty even match.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
Maybe you guys raced a 2.5 RS
Old 04-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Probably stock and automatic
Old 04-06-2003, 01:37 PM
VQ Wizard

Stock for stock the WRX is inferior to the 3.5 Maxima on a roll and in straight lines of course.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by itdood
AWD is awesome off the line but after that, it's actually a hinderence because of drivline loses and extra weight.
End of story!