5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

brake judder (yes another topic about it)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 09:50 PM

brake judder (yes another topic about it)

I'm starting to experience brake judder. high speeds when i press hard on the brake, steering wheel is shaking, and i'm noticing pulsing in my braking. my biggest problem is i just hit the 40k mark so i past my warrenty. i've already made an appointment for the dealership to look at it (and i'm gonna show them the tsb) but is it worth my time? i got friends saying i shouldn't bother, they say just get new rotors/brakes cuz the dealer is gonna charge me tons of money. any suggestions would be great.

(technical question) why is it i don't always feel the pulsing?

does anyone know how much stock brake pads and rotors cost?

thanx
Old 04-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: brake judder (yes another topic about it)

Originally posted by Trunksu

(technical question) why is it i don't always feel the pulsing?

does anyone know how much stock brake pads and rotors cost?

thanx
When you're braking from high speed, your brake pads get hot and they release gas, known as gassing. This will cause your steering wheel to vibrate. This is the reason why you don't feel the pulsing at all times. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't get stock pads and rotors cause you'll be experiencing the same problem soon. Get better pads like Porterfields R4S or Performance Friction Carbon Metallic (cost about $35 from AutoZone). As for rotors, you can find Power Slots, Brembo X-drilled/slotted, Disc Brake Australia from Precisionbrake, etc.

Don't waste your money at the dealer to do a check up. Get some pads and rotors for your weekend project.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:03 PM

Re: Re: brake judder (yes another topic about it)

Originally posted by bsetiawan

When you're braking from high speed, your brake pads get hot and they release gas, known as gassing. This will cause your steering wheel to vibrate. This is the reason why you don't feel the pulsing at all times. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't get stock pads and rotors cause you'll be experiencing the same problem soon. Get better pads like Porterfields R4S or Performance Friction Carbon Metallic (cost about $35 from AutoZone). As for rotors, you can find Power Slots, Brembo X-drilled/slotted, Disc Brake Australia from Precisionbrake, etc.

Don't waste your money at the dealer to do a check up. Get some pads and rotors for your weekend project.

if i got brand new stock rotors/brakes it will still have problems? i honestly thought they would have fixed the stock rotors from this happening again.

so simply getting new rotors and brakes will fix brake juddering correct? where's a good place to get these rotors for a good price? tryin to save money but i obviously want something good. thanx
Old 04-06-2003, 11:35 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Re: Re: brake judder (yes another topic about it)

Originally posted by bsetiawan

Modern pads don't really gas out like the old ones did. Now, crossdrilling and slots are really for venting and cleaning the pad surface. However, if you get them hot enough you can glaze them. I almost melted my rears in the mountains.

I agree, dont waste your time with turning at the dealer. If your rotors are that bad off, turning will only be a temp fix.

Now for your new rotors, I wouldnt use stock pads as they are suspected to be generating excess heat. I would recommend Raybestos QuietStop Ceramics if you can find them.

But the single most important thing you can do to make sure your rotors dont warp again is to buy a torque wrench for your lugs. You can get them at Harbor Frieght for <$20
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=239

Seriously, you will be throwing away your money if you get new rotors and dont use proper torque. My rotors were warped last time because I didnt double check behind NTB. Big mistake, they were warped in about 4 days after. I found the lugs were way over 100ft lbs, even tho they promised to hand torque when I asked.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: brake judder (yes another topic about it)

if i got brand new stock rotors/brakes it will still have problems? i honestly thought they would have fixed the stock rotors from this happening again.

so simply getting new rotors and brakes will fix brake juddering correct? where's a good place to get these rotors for a good price? tryin to save money but i obviously want something good. thanx
Don't forget to break in the rotors and pads properly before you do any hard braking. As for good price, try the group buy section, Ebay or groupbuycenter.com. I got a pair of DBA slotted and X-drilled for around $140 shipped.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:10 AM

the rotors didnt "warp" due to the torque of the lugs or the gassing of the pads but to improper break in

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Old 04-07-2003, 04:31 AM

After a long period of braking, your rotors heat up alot and after stoping at a stop sign or light the pressure of the caliper skeazes on the rotor and warps them. Which is what happened to mine twice .
Old 04-07-2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by silverkorn
the rotors didnt "warp" due to the torque of the lugs or the gassing of the pads but to improper break in

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Nissan rotors are notoriously bad. I noticed mine were warped at 1000 miles - when I actually pressed them hard above 60 MPH. With proper break-in, I have never had this happen so soon on any other car.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That is such a great piece of information. That link should be put into a sticky someplace on here.

After reading that article I feel there are two reasons the Maxima is prone to brake judder.

1) Improper break in procedure
2) OEM Pads

I'll bet the OEM pads are leaving material on the rotors. That article stated it's possible to fix brake judder by just replacing the pads with more agressive pads and performing a bedding in process. The more agressive pad will clean up the rotor.

My thoughts are that switching to Axxis Metal Masters, or Ceramic pads which are more agressive, may cure brake judder on some cars.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Zog

Pepboy's is running a deal right now on Raybestos Quiet Stops. $124 for new pads and turning your rotors if they need it.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:22 PM

break in period

i read the article and it was very informative. i never even knew there was a break-in period. question, so everytime i replace the pads i'm suppose to do 10 hard brakes like the article says?

my main concern is i'm getting this done at my friends place but there are no clear roads where i can just accelerate to 60 and brake, etc. without hitting a light or without coming to a complete stop.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:40 PM

silverkorn, That is the most informative link I have ever read on this subject. Thanks for the link. I had just passed 37000 when it hit my Max bad. I am going to upgrade my pads asap. Still undecided on the brand or type. Let me know if any of you guys have had experiences with any particular pads, good and bad are both appreciated.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:08 AM

Re: break in period

my main concern is i'm getting this done at my friends place but there are no clear roads where i can just accelerate to 60 and brake, etc. without hitting a light or without coming to a complete stop.
its not so much that you cant hit your brakes what-so-ever without a break-in. its just when your sitting at a light dont keep your foot on the pedal, use the e-brake. this helps stop the brake pad footprint from being placed on your rotors. this is the main cause of having the "warped" rotors, you brake very hard and get the pads a little over heated, then sit there at the light with the pads melting onto your rotors.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:59 AM

Re: Re: break in period

its not so much that you cant hit your brakes what-so-ever without a break-in. its just when your sitting at a light dont keep your foot on the pedal, use the e-brake. this helps stop the brake pad footprint from being placed on your rotors. this is the main cause of having the "warped" rotors, you brake very hard and get the pads a little over heated, then sit there at the light with the pads melting onto your rotors.
thanx. gonna get my ride back today. i'll try to remember e-brake only
Old 04-20-2003, 11:28 AM

im waiting for stilen cross drilled rotors right now, when i install them and replace my pads do i still need the spacer kit?
Old 04-20-2003, 02:42 PM

Re: Re: break in period

I think, this is very pad dependent. I have auto and do this all the time and has no problems since I put R4S more then 2 years ago on the new set of stock rotors. I don't know for sure what happens with rotors when I used stock pads but they were not "warped" whatsoever and my steering wheel was shaking like hell. The most reasonable explanation I came across was that iron carbid build up theory from provided link.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the problem at 1500 Mi. on a 2003 SE. I m trying to line up my observations with the theory expressed in the stoptech white paper.

I notice the following:

1) My lugs are all carefully torqued to 80nm.
2) Only happens at high speeds (over 60)
3) The judder is more pronounced when breaking hard. If I touch the breaks very litely, there is hardly any judder even at 100mph.
4) It gets progressively worse the longer I break.
5) I do notice some uneven looking streaking on the rotor surface, front and back. Looks very different from my old Infinity G20, where the rotors have a miror-like bluish finish.

What I see seems to be in-line with the
theory. Esp. suspicious is #3. If the rotors were simply warped, I would expect them beat against the pads even if I just touch the breaks.
It seems the vibration is caused by sticky and less sticky spots on the rotor surface.

The next logical step is xperimentation,
based on the theory.

a) Just switching pads may cure things.
If it does, the theory is as good as proven. On the other hand, if the rotors are truly warped, it is probably money thrown away.
b) Turning the rotors and switching pads should definitely fix things. I have an app with the local dealer, I am tempted to buy the hi-perf pads and just give it to them to put in.