5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SE suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by CVicVogel

I am looking for and will pop in 2K2/2K3 SE springs into my GLE and leaving everything else stock (so I don't upset my wife too much). In the meantime, I have a very confortable ride. Remember I just sold a Lincoln Continetal with 116K on it. I was used to a soft ride!

thanks

Vic

thanks

Vic
I think there's a TSB out about GLE's bottoming, and the fix is swapping in SE springs - you might check, and then if you complain to your dealer that your car is "bottoming on bumps" they may do the swap for you for free

EDIT: You can find the TSB at this site, helpfully posted by one of the other .org members:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...x.asp?mscssid=
Old 04-10-2003, 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by Maximax2

I think there's a TSB out about GLE's bottoming, and the fix is swapping in SE springs - you might check, and then if you complain to your dealer that your car is "bottoming on bumps" they may do the swap for you for free
i had that TSB done, i didn't realize they were SE springs out back! just tell your dealer that your car is bottoming out with people or luggage in the car, and my dealer fixed it, no questions asked.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:37 AM

handling??

It is very funny that some people think that the 5th gen Max SE has a sporty suspension.

The Max is not a sports car.
It is a family sedan with a big motor.

I'd go for the tire with the most comfortable ride and stop sweating the "but I'll lose the sport handling" non-sense.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:33 AM

Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by Young04

i had that TSB done, i didn't realize they were SE springs out back! just tell your dealer that your car is bottoming out with people or luggage in the car, and my dealer fixed it, no questions asked.
You were right. However, it applies only to the 2000-2001 GLE.

They changed the calibrations in 2002.

thanks

Vic
Old 04-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by E55AMG2
OK, I have had both a 2k1 and 2k3 SE. The difference is not that the 2k3 is softer, just damped better. IE, when you hit a pothole in a 2k1, you feel sharp concussions from the suspension. Hit the same hole in the 2k3 and you feel it, but they took the sharpness out with better dampers.
What do you think is different? the strut mounts?
Old 04-10-2003, 11:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by maxman00

What do you think is different? the strut mounts?
I have no facts. I speculate that the 2K2-2K3 have a stiffer suspension since they upgraded the tires and wheels for a sportier feel.

The GLE rides a little tighter than the 2000-2001 models.

thanks

Vic
Old 04-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by CVicVogel

You were right. However, it applies only to the 2000-2001 GLE.

They changed the calibrations in 2002.

thanks

Vic
Nope, read the TSB - 2002 also, and dealers could probably be talked into 2k3.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Wat

Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

well, the engine is different, and more likely heavier. They probably changed out the bushings in the suspension for ones to handle greater weight, but not punish the ride. Also, the seats are softer. Now you might not think it makes a difference, but drive em back to back and you'll see. The shock valving is probably slightly different as well.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:32 PM

Re: handling??

Originally posted by TitaniumSE_MAX
It is very funny that some people think that the 5th gen Max SE has a sporty suspension.

The Max is not a sports car.
It is a family sedan with a big motor.

I'd go for the tire with the most comfortable ride and stop sweating the "but I'll lose the sport handling" non-sense.

Enjoy the ride!
Right, its not a sports car. It does have sporty handling relative for a mid-sized family sedan. Whats your point? Whats sporty to someone may not be sporty to you, I don't find that making fun of others funny and find it rather insulting.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Wat

Re: Re: handling??

To the guy who doesnt think the maxima is a sporty car. Go look at ANY other car in its class....NONE of them can even touch the maxima's handling and power. The accord has a new engine and "precise handling" but your non sporty maxima can still outrun it. Now if you compare the Maxima to say, a BMW 540i or Mercedes E430, you are right. It is just another family hauler with alot of motor. As a .org member, I'd recommend NOT knocking the maxima on the forums. You just might get *****ed at.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:09 PM

SE vs GXE/GLE Suspension

I did some research on this when I bought my 2000 GXE. It looks like there has been a suspension difference between the SE and other models for a long time. Up to and including 4th Gen, on an SE the Front Stabilzer bars and the Rear Springs are stiffer. The shocks however appear to be the same. Tire size varies by year, usually 215/16 on a SE vs 205/15 on GXE/GLE, but sometimes the GLE had 16s as well. For 2000-2001 the difference is much greater, firmer rear springs, front struts, and rear shock absorbers, liquid-filled tranverse-link compression bushings and larger front stabilizer bars. In addition, the SE's come with 215/16s, while the GXE is 205/15. I would really like to get under a 2000 GXE and a 2000 SE with a micrometer and measure the difference, but haven't been able to get to that point yet. Newer than 2002 I am honestly not sure.

That is why my spring project is to find a wrecked 2000 SE and strip the suspension.

BTW, you can check out the following for more details.
http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/maxspecs.html
http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/2000max.html
Old 04-11-2003, 02:11 PM
jjs

Re: SE vs GXE/GLE Suspension

Originally posted by jack63ss
I did some research on this when I bought my 2000 GXE. It looks like there has been a suspension difference between the SE and other models for a long time. Up to and including 4th Gen, on an SE the Front Stabilzer bars and the Rear Springs are stiffer. The shocks however appear to be the same. Tire size varies by year, usually 215/16 on a SE vs 205/15 on GXE/GLE, but sometimes the GLE had 16s as well. For 2000-2001 the difference is much greater, firmer rear springs, front struts, and rear shock absorbers, liquid-filled tranverse-link compression bushings and larger front stabilizer bars. In addition, the SE's come with 215/16s, while the GXE is 205/15. I would really like to get under a 2000 GXE and a 2000 SE with a micrometer and measure the difference, but haven't been able to get to that point yet. Newer than 2002 I am honestly not sure.

That is why my spring project is to find a wrecked 2000 SE and strip the suspension.

BTW, you can check out the following for more details.
http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/maxspecs.html
http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/2000max.html
Don't forget the 17"s...
Old 04-17-2003, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: SE vs GXE/GLE Suspension

Originally posted by jjs

Don't forget the 17"s...
True. 17" wheels are an option on the SE not available on the GXE.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:54 AM

Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by tecman4
Hi,
I've heard that the suspension is different in the SE vs the GLE/GXE and that the GLE/GXE is softer.
Does anyone know the difference?
I have an SE and I was wondering if it is possible to modify the SE so its softer like the GLE/GXE?
I was somewhat surprised at how firm the ride was in my wife's '03 Maxima SE.. The car is definitely "sports tuned" suspension wise. Of course, I specifically ordered it like that I did not want a mushy, imprecise ride. With the 6 speed, limited slip diff and everything else except heated seats and nav, I expected to get a pretty confortable GT style car... It's no E class Mercedes or 541 BMW, but it's quite nice and $30K less....
Personally, I'd leave the suspension alone and maybe try more comfortable tires (a shade taller?).... Other wise, best trade it in on something more to your liking...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:19 AM

Sporty is a VERY relative word... For a large 4 door sedan the suspension IS sporty... BMW, Mecedes, you pay $$ you had BETTER get sporty, or else your getting ripped On the other side of the scale, I test drove Grand Prix GTPs and Monte Carlo SS, and the Maxima SE suspension was day and night better than those cars... Intrepid (was a rental) same deal... I've been impressed with the stock suspension thus far... Its by no means Corvette or Ferrari handling, but for a 4 door seden is very good, it makes the dean feel sporty...

I also prefer a little plushness to the suspension as opposed to my friends MazdaSpeed Turbo Protege.. The suspension is very tight, but it feels like your riding along in a tin can on a cobblestone road... its not comfy and the handling isn't much better than the max. The body may not roll as much but you break traction much easier...

My 0.02c
Old 04-17-2003, 06:43 PM

Overall I like the ride of the SE, Its ok over big bumps its just that over small imperfections it feels more bumpy than it should
maybe I'll go for more of a touring tire.
Any suggestions?
I feel kind of funny removing new tires to put more new tires on.
I've always waited until the tires were almost gone before I replaced them.