5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SE suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 06:14 AM

SE suspension

Hi,
I've heard that the suspension is different in the SE vs the GLE/GXE and that the GLE/GXE is softer.
Does anyone know the difference?
I have an SE and I was wondering if it is possible to modify the SE so its softer like the GLE/GXE?
Old 04-09-2003, 06:35 AM

I have read that as well and am sure it is true. But if the SE is tighter, then it must shake you around pretty good because my GLE is no luxury ride.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:52 AM
jjs

Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by tecman4
Hi,
I've heard that the suspension is different in the SE vs the GLE/GXE and that the GLE/GXE is softer.
Does anyone know the difference?
I have an SE and I was wondering if it is possible to modify the SE so its softer like the GLE/GXE?
What year car are you talking about. Word has it that 2k-2k1's had a wider difference between the SE's and others. More taught and firm. People have said the 2k2-2k3 SE's are actually 'softer' than before.

Unless you plan on autocrossing, etc. a simple change would be to go with a taller tire, maybe a 55 series.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:03 AM

Re: Re: SE suspension

I have a 2003 SE
I've read on autos.msn.com that the SE had a hard suspension vs GLE/GXE

Originally posted by jjs

What year car are you talking about. Word has it that 2k-2k1's had a wider difference between the SE's and others. More taught and firm. People have said the 2k2-2k3 SE's are actually 'softer' than before.

Unless you plan on autocrossing, etc. a simple change would be to go with a taller tire, maybe a 55 series.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:05 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

I have a 2003 SE
I've read on autos.msn.com that the SE had a hard suspension vs GLE/GXE

Have you actually driven a GLE/GXE? If not I suggest you head to a dealer before they are all sold out and try one to see if you can really tell a difference (as opposed to what you have read). If you still want softer, go with a taller tire or maybe a touring type tire.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

I've never personally drove the GLE/GXE but I've heard from many different sources that the GLE/GXE is softer.
SO does anyone know how to modify the SE suspension to ride like the GLE/GXE?
I don't think that a simple tire change will help.

Originally posted by jjs

Have you actually driven a GLE/GXE? If not I suggest you head to a dealer before they are all sold out and try one to see if you can really tell a difference (as opposed to what you have read). If you still want softer, go with a taller tire or maybe a touring type tire.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:18 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

I've never personally drove the GLE/GXE but I've heard from many different sources that the GLE/GXE is softer.
SO does anyone know how to modify the SE suspension to ride like the GLE/GXE?
I don't think that a simple tire change will help.

Uh, ok. So much for advice.

I am running 225 55/17's and it HAS made a difference, but what do I know.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

It said on the nissan web site that the SE has a sports tuned suspension

Originally posted by jjs

Uh, ok. So much for advice.

I am running 225 55/17's and it HAS made a difference, but what do I know.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:32 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

It said on the nissan web site that the SE has a sports tuned suspension

Go here and check out what they say about RE-92's.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com

You can't always trust what you read. Also, 'sports tuned' can cover a very wide range of suspensions, from only slightly firmer than 'ordinary' to rock solid.

The big issue which I don't think you indicated is whether you are unhappy with your car or if you are trying to follow what you have read. If you are no unhappy, why worry about what GLE/GXE's are like?
Old 04-09-2003, 07:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by jjs

i've driven both, and there is a definite difference (both '02). that being said, the 02 GLE can get very bumpy and unstable. the SE, while it is more bumpy, seems a bit more stable, more planted, while going down those bad roads. in either car, the stock suspension is disappointing. my buddy's '01 540i is smoother than my '02 GLE even with the sport package outfitted, and it goes without saying that the bimmer is infinitely more planted to the ground.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

I'm a little disappointed with the SE's ride.
Its seems to send every little road imperfection right through
Originally posted by jjs

Go here and check out what they say about RE-92's.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com

You can't always trust what you read. Also, 'sports tuned' can cover a very wide range of suspensions, from only slightly firmer than 'ordinary' to rock solid.

The big issue which I don't think you indicated is whether you are unhappy with your car or if you are trying to follow what you have read. If you are no unhappy, why worry about what GLE/GXE's are like?
Old 04-09-2003, 07:44 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

I'm a little disappointed with the SE's ride.
Its seems to send every little road imperfection right through
OK, don't underestimate tire choice. That or you can start swapping out you suspension parts for GLE/GXE parts and may still not get you where you want to be. Face it, Max's are not Camry's, etc.

Also, what tire pressure are you running? The recommended 32 or so, or higher?
Old 04-09-2003, 07:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

I have mine set at 32psi
Originally posted by jjs

OK, don't underestimate tire choice. That or you can start swapping out you suspension parts for GLE/GXE parts and may still not get you where you want to be. Face it, Max's are not Camry's, etc.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:56 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by Young04

i've driven both, and there is a definite difference (both '02). that being said, the 02 GLE can get very bumpy and unstable. the SE, while it is more bumpy, seems a bit more stable, more planted, while going down those bad roads. in either car, the stock suspension is disappointing. my buddy's '01 540i is smoother than my '02 GLE even with the sport package outfitted, and it goes without saying that the bimmer is infinitely more planted to the ground.
and a partial reason for the ride difference between the 540i and the Maxima is probably because:

the Maxima is $30k and the 540i is like $50k

Old 04-09-2003, 08:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

Originally posted by jjs

I own a 2K3 GLE with 1,200 miles on it. Bought it less than 2 weeks ago!!!

I test drove the 2K3 SE. It was too hard for my wife (I loved it).

The front springs are the same rate. The rears are stronger. Go to a dealership and press hard on both bumpers and you can actually feel the difference.

The SE has a larger front sway bar. The SE has a slight difference in the valving of the struts (not a huge difference).

The SE has a slighly lower 17" profile tire (.50 versus .55) to give you a tighter initial turning feeling. I think they have a large impact on transmitting that road feel directly into the car.

You could actually swap out the rear springs and leave everything else alone and may experience some comfort.

I am looking for and will pop in 2K2/2K3 SE springs into my GLE and leaving everything else stock (so I don't upset my wife too much). In the meantime, I have a very confortable ride. Remember I just sold a Lincoln Continetal with 116K on it. I was used to a soft ride!

thanks

Vic

thanks

Vic
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

and a partial reason for the ride difference between the 540i and the Maxima is probably because:

no doubt. i just want one. i would love to get an E500 sport or the new bmw 545i.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 AM

also, the 540i has a curb weight of 3800 lbs.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:10 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

no doubt. i just want one. i would love to get an E500 sport or the new bmw 545i.
most def!!!

M5..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 04-09-2003, 08:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

most def!!!

M5..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
maybe when we're older
Old 04-09-2003, 08:14 AM

Try to find one car where on the manufacturers website its doesn't say "sport tuned suspension" even SUVs and minivans say that crap these days... I test drove my 2000 SE (amongst other SE's) and a GXE, and was there ever a difference especially going over bumps... Like someone pointed out before, feeling the car planted to the ground... The GXE was very "bouncy" where the SE was rougher over the same bumps but more controlled..

Its hard to describe... if you want a softer ride just go up to 55 profile.. it won't look like much of a difference, but you'll feel a VERY noticable ride difference...
Old 04-09-2003, 08:15 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Phoenix1911
Its hard to describe... if you want a softer ride just go up to 55 profile.. it won't look like much of a difference, but you'll feel a VERY noticable ride difference...
Thank you!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 08:15 AM

I'm happy with my SE. The ride is perfect for me.

Does upgrading the shocks and putting in lowered springs change this???
Old 04-09-2003, 08:18 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE suspension

maybe when we're older
sure..maybe when YOU ARE older...when I'm older I'll still have this maxima...

I hope to get outta my parents house ONE of these days...

Old 04-09-2003, 08:21 AM

I'm at a loss,
how does having a higher tire make a softer ride?

Try to find one car where on the manufacturers website its doesn't say "sport tuned suspension" even SUVs and minivans say that crap these days... I test drove my 2000 SE (amongst other SE's) and a GXE, and was there ever a difference especially going over bumps... Like someone pointed out before, feeling the car planted to the ground... The GXE was very "bouncy" where the SE was rougher over the same bumps but more controlled..

Old 04-09-2003, 08:28 AM
jjs

I'm at a loss,

Check out the part on Aspect Ratio.

http://www.automedia.com/xml/res/res20010101ts.xml
Old 04-09-2003, 08:31 AM

I'm at a loss,

if the sidewall is higher, there is more "tire" to absorb the bumps in the road, and less of stress is put on the shocks/springs, and thus less intrudes into the cabin. they're very right. slight changes in tire profile can have huge effects. not to keep talking about my friends' cars (i'm envious, can't you tell?), when my friend took off his aftermarket 255/35/18's from his A4 sport, and stuck on 215/45/17 snow tires, it felt like a completely different car, even with sport springs.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:41 AM

Very interesting,
I stand corrected...
Whats the best tire as far as soft ride while still having good road grip?
Originally posted by jjs

Check out the part on Aspect Ratio.

http://www.automedia.com/xml/res/res20010101ts.xml
Old 04-09-2003, 08:44 AM
jjs

Very interesting,
I stand corrected...
Whats the best tire as far as soft ride while still having good road grip?

I would check out TireRack's customer surveys on touring tires. You will give up some of the cornering sharpness, etc. but get a more compliant ride.

I am running Yokohama YK420's through Discount Tire and like them well enough. They were fairly cheap (I think around $95.00 a tire when I bought them) and seem to do well in dry and wet conditions. Since I am in Houston, I have no idea what they would be like in snow, etc.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:14 AM

Get the good tires that provide a soft ride.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:21 AM

Performance tires have much stiffer sidewalls whereas a touring tire is softer so its more forgiving over bumps... but you lose that sharp responsivness when cornering at higher speeds... Increasing profile gives the same effect... my snow tires give a better more comfy ride than my stock potenzas, but don't feel sporty. Check out my homepage for pics of my snow tires.. they are 15" and I can't recall the exact dimensions... 205/60/15 perhaps?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:25 AM

I didn't realize how much tires affect performance
Snow tires...
Are they really that much better in snow?
what makes them better?
I've always kept the stock all season tires on for all my cars

Performance tires have much stiffer sidewalls whereas a touring tire is softer so its more forgiving over bumps... but you lose that sharp responsivness when cornering at higher speeds... Increasing profile gives the same effect... my snow tires give a better more comfy ride than my stock potenzas, but don't feel sporty. Check out my homepage for pics of my snow tires.. they are 15" and I can't recall the exact dimensions... 205/60/15 perhaps?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:26 AM
jjs

Snow tires...
what makes them better?

At the risk of flaming...how long have you been driving cars?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:29 AM

flaming? whats that?
10 years

Originally posted by jjs

At the risk of flaming...how long have you been driving cars?
Old 04-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Wat

Re: Re: SE suspension

OK, I have had both a 2k1 and 2k3 SE. The difference is not that the 2k3 is softer, just damped better. IE, when you hit a pothole in a 2k1, you feel sharp concussions from the suspension. Hit the same hole in the 2k3 and you feel it, but they took the sharpness out with better dampers. If anything, the 2k3 handles better and rolls less.

Now, as for the se/gle comparo. The GLE/GXE are a ton softer. You dont notice so much over bumps, but you will in transient response. Basically, the cars are just about the same on a straight road (SE a bit stiffer), but take to the corners and the SE stays flat while the GXE/GLE rolls alot more. I know this because I drove my friend's GLE. After driving the SE, the GLE feels soft.

As to the getting tossed around issue, both ars are about the same in everyday driving. The SE's susp is calibrated to damp out the body motions more than the GLE, b/c of the stiffer springs.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:03 PM

Snow tires...
what makes them better?

Yikes.. My personnel opinion is All seasons are summer tires only You cannot have the best of both worlds... All season sacrifice to much winter driving and too much summer driving characteristics to be useful for either.

I have Michelin Alpines for winter.. Awesome tire, unidirectional tread, nice and quiet on the highway. Stick like glue in the snow.. My ABS never once kicked in, cornering there was no lateral sliding, and accelerating was just like on pavement... You still can't go driving like a mad man in the snow but thats just common sense...

The winter tire has sipes (small grooves) that mimick the tread pattern and give you more surface area to contact snow with. They also don't freeze solid like a summer tire or all season will... Problem there is you shouldn't drive them when its really warm out because you'll eat tread like mad. I never got stuck this winter whereas my neighbour in his brand new Expedition had to shovel his SUV out after a large snowfall I don't know how many times!

Bridgestone Blizzacks are Michelins competitor snow tire and its very good as well...
Old 04-10-2003, 04:34 AM

Owning both a Maxer and an Expedition, I must say your neighbor (with the Expedition) must not be the greatest snow driver in the world.

This past winter, we had the Expedition in heavy Vermont snow, minus 19 degree temperatures, and heavy snows in Joisey. With the optional positraction, its doggone hard to get it stuck.

Thanks

Vic
Old 04-10-2003, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Maxman2000
I'm happy with my SE. The ride is perfect for me.

Does upgrading the shocks and putting in lowered springs change this???
Usually by upgrading the shocks / struts and installing lowering springs you will get a rougher ride. It's really like a sliding scale:

Soft comfy ride <------------------------------------------> Better handling

Unfortunatly, there is no perfect product for one or the other. If you want a softer ride you will give up performance. If you want performance you will give up comfort. I'm really thinking about lowering my car with some new struts and springs but I fear that the ride will be harsh like my old T/A. I really liked the Max because of the smooth ride and if I loose that I might start to hate the car and wonder if I should have bought something sportier instead.

On the .Org there are many opinions / reviews on how different springs effect the ride comfort. Some are worse than others, but again these are just people's opinions which vary greatly. The thing that's hard about it is you only want to do it once but there is no way to test until it's on the car.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:18 AM

I can speak from experience on the difference in a car after a tire change: Installed Cooper Lifeliner SLE Touring in the stock size last November on our 2k SE. Can you say "night and day" or "evil and good"? Better cornering (sticks very well even on wet roads at high speeds.... no sliding on curves or ramps and the traction control does not come on all the time like it did), MUCH quieter ride (no more singing roads ) and a better ride. I think it is a hard tire to beat for $110/piece (I got them for less than that). Add on top of all of the above mentioned pluses that she much happier with her car after the tire change.

Two more examples of the night/day difference of a tire change is my 68 Fury and my 94 Dakota but I will not bore you with that.

Travis
Old 04-10-2003, 06:25 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Anyone who is deciding between an SE & GLE has to drive them both themselves. Perception of ride & handling traits are very personal, as are whether you like more chrome & fake wood or not.

That being said, I would not ever even remotely consider a GLE. The only time a GLE's suspension actually feels smoother than an SE's is on roads that are already very smooth. Once the road gets rough, the lack of damping gets the suspension very upset - comfort and control levels deteriorate very quickly while the SE would still be composed and in control.

If the last ounce of pillowy softness on smooth roads is important to you, and you don't mind the chrome door handles and fake wood, then the GLE is a great car. To me, however, those things make it "my father's Maxima"... all five of mine have been SE's.

One more thing... if you want an otherwise loaded Maxima with cloth seats and/or a manual tranny, the SE's the only option.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:03 AM

both are harsh. They feel stiffly sprung and underdamped. The GLE rolls and wallows around more than the SE, but the ride quality between the two are the same. The SE is worth it over the GLE. Just get GLE tires if you want a cushier ride.

Quick Reply: SE suspension