5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drove a 350Z Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 05:22 AM

Drove a 350Z Last Night

A friend of mine picked up his 350Z last night. He got the touring edition, 6 speed, loaded with everthing except NAV. All I can say is WOW! In my opinion, this is the best deal on the market for the price. I think he paid around 34K. The car is breathtaking. The lines, fit and finish are absolutely fat. He got it in silver with black leather interior which I think is the best color. We took it out and pushed it a little bit. The car is tight and almost feels like an exension of your body. The seats are really comfortable and the handling is superb. However, I was a little surprised with the power. In fact, in my opinion, and I'm being objective, I believe my 2k2 6spd Max is faster stock -vs- stock. It just didn't seem to pull like the Max. Maybe it loses more horses and torque in the transfer to the rear wheels. I told him, that the modding will start soon to unleash the engines full potential.

Overall, the car is AMAZING. I'm going to wait for the convertible to come out and hopefully they'll supercharge it. Then, I'll have one in my garage in front of the Maxima. All I can say is that Nissan is BACK and I love my Max.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:44 AM

Too bad the interior materials are on par with the Altima...CHEAP!
Old 04-12-2003, 05:47 AM

I disagree with that. Have you sat in a loaded one?
Old 04-12-2003, 06:02 AM

Yes, I have driven them all too...Each time I get in it, I find more cheapness....Did you happen to work the door on the dash where the Nav goes...That is a piece of work.

I certainly would be willing to over look the shortcomings had I the need for a 2 seater.

Don't get me wrong..I love the car and it would be NO.1 on my list of next sports cars....But the inside is cheap.

Your power assessment was exactly as mine..I did not feel that much, if any, difference
Old 04-12-2003, 06:15 AM

That door on the dash is strange and hard to close. Yes, the interior is not up to par with the G35 Coupe, but it's not bad. And when you consider the price, I think it's a great deal. After he finishes his break-in period, we're going to Ocean Parkway on L.I. NY in the early morning for a few quick runs. Max -vs- 350Z. I think it will be a close encounter. I've been on teh 350Z boards and members are complaining, that the Max is just as quick. Nissan needs to supercharge or turbocharge the engine. Do you think they'll do this?
Old 04-12-2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by SilverMax02

That door on the dash is strange and hard to close. Yes, the interior is not up to par with the G35 Coupe, but it's not bad. And when you consider the price, I think it's a great deal. After he finishes his break-in period, we're going to Ocean Parkway on L.I. NY in the early morning for a few quick runs. Max -vs- 350Z. I think it will be a close encounter. I've been on teh 350Z boards and members are complaining, that the Max is just as quick. Nissan needs to supercharge or turbocharge the engine. Do you think they'll do this?
i dont think they will put any boost in it. what makes the 350z a hot comodity is the fact that it is a z and is 34k fully loaded. if they put a s/c or turbo in it then the price would probably rise around 40k, then nissan would have the same problem it did with the 300zx. bad*ss car, but not enough people wanted to pay 40+ for it. thats the main reason they discontinued it
Old 04-12-2003, 11:17 AM

I doubt they will...there are few people who want SC or Turba and the ones that do can make it faster with the aftermarket han Nissan would from the factory...

It is the baddest *** looking sports car out there right now for the money.

If I bought one..I would gop with a stripped down version...And put all custom things in it...Imagine what you could do for 10K
Old 04-12-2003, 12:07 PM

Re: Drove a 350Z Last Night

Maybe it loses more horses and torque in the transfer to the rear wheels.

what?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: Drove a 350Z Last Night

Originally posted by T-bone

what?
that's a good question, i've heard from people that FWD is slightly more efficient, and from others that RWD is more efficient. this is traction issues aside. does anyone know definitively? i can't think of a car that is offered in both RWD and FWD, so a perfect comparison isn't possible. i guess we're working with average figures.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:56 PM
mjg

RWD off the line is better. RWD is more suited for power since the fwd has torque steer. FWD tends to be on cheaper imports or american cars, and they recommend it for daily driving. Also alot of people say RWD cars are much easier to work on, since everything in the FWD car is smushed up in the front.

Also AWD cars are either based on rwd or fwd...
Old 04-12-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by mjg
RWD off the line is better. RWD is more suited for power since the fwd has torque steer. FWD tends to be on cheaper imports or american cars, and they recommend it for daily driving. Also alot of people say RWD cars are much easier to work on, since everything in the FWD car is smushed up in the front.

Also AWD cars are either based on rwd or fwd...
i understand that, but i guess my question was, if you took the average dyno figures of FWD versus those of RWD, which will exhibit a more efficient drivetrain?
Old 04-12-2003, 03:27 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Young04

i understand that, but i guess my question was, if you took the average dyno figures of FWD versus those of RWD, which will exhibit a more efficient drivetrain?
RWD is SLIGHTLY less efficient but the 350Z dynos near 240hp at the wheels. Some of the guys are running 13.9 stock in the 1/4 so a stock max is not gonna catch a Z. I think a butt dyno can't be used for the Z because of its power delivery. It's meant to have a VERY linear power delivery so you won't feel the kick like you do in a Max at higher revs.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:38 PM

I own both Performance 350 and 03 Max SE and yes the 350's interior quality isnt that great and the materials are on par or slighlty better I mean slightly than the Altima's. We knew this going in but hey its what my wife wanted, the materials arent nearly as good as my 03 Max. From my many experiences the RWD adavntage in launch really isnt that much better than powerful/torquey FWD cars until you get into RWD cars with 300 hp or more. Punching them on a roll their really isnt much of a difference either.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:49 PM

linear throttle

While I haven't had the opportunity to drive a Z, I've read a bunch of comments on forums and a magazine article before about the Z and its throttle. From what I understand the throttle is very linear so it might feel like it doesn't have as much power as the Max. The linearity is supposedly intentional (I think to make it easier to modulate at the track and during hard driving).

To me, my Max's throttle is pretty non-linear. It feels like most of the power is available w/the pedal partly down (maybe 1/2 way). If you floor it, it doesn't make that much more of a difference.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've heard that 350Zs have a "break-in" period built into the ECU. That car won't let it's full power show until after 1200 miles or so.

DW
Old 04-12-2003, 06:07 PM

dwapenyi.....I think some one lied to you