5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about Frankencar midpipe installation on 2000 SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 12:18 PM
lcf

Question about Frankencar midpipe installation on 2000 SE

I just picked up my midpipe from the post office today and I'm going over instructions before installation here:

http://www.frankencar.com/intake_instructions.shtml

Keep in mind I have a 2000 SE. I'm curious as to Step 11 and 12:
11. See the wire loom that holds the postive battery cable, CAREFULLY with a sharp knife cut the tape open and split it open so you can pull out slack for the Air Temperature Sensor. There is also a clip that you can pop open to get more slack, it's attached the the body of the car.

12. Remove the Air Temp Sensor from the Scoop AND THE Rubber Fitting.
Could someone clarify this stuff for me? Step 11 says to make more slack for the Temp Sensor, then step 12 says to remove it from the stock scoop and rubber fitting... then in the following instructions there is no mention of how/where/wtf to put it?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Free up some slack and stick it in the hole in the side of the midpipe.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...46_91_full.jpg
Old 04-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is there a hole in your midpipe? Next to the small tube. I just left my sensor in the stock location and plugged the hole.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:34 AM
lcf

I got it guys. Once I pulled **** apart it made sense. Thanks for the help. Heh.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:09 AM

ok guys, I just happen to have done the same install of the frankencar midpipe last night...I just had the Stillen high flow before with the temp sensor still in the stock air box...At first, I didn't know what to do with the hole on the midpipe, so I just plugged it...My car ran great, really strong.

then, we figured it all out and put the temp. sensor into the midpipe and my car ran like crap. it had serious lag to it. What could be causing it? Do I need to reset the ECU by leaving the car's battery undone all night, or could it be something worse? I don't think it is the MAF, cause my car would still rev to 5,000 rpm it just wouldn't pic up at all

Any ideas you guys would have would be awesome
Old 04-13-2003, 11:14 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
ok guys, I just happen to have done the same install of the frankencar midpipe last night...I just had the Stillen high flow before with the temp sensor still in the stock air box...At first, I didn't know what to do with the hole on the midpipe, so I just plugged it...My car ran great, really strong.

then, we figured it all out and put the temp. sensor into the midpipe and my car ran like crap. it had serious lag to it. What could be causing it? Do I need to reset the ECU by leaving the car's battery undone all night, or could it be something worse? I don't think it is the MAF, cause my car would still rev to 5,000 rpm it just wouldn't pic up at all

Any ideas you guys would have would be awesome
the air temp sensor should not cause the car to run poorly. i actually took mine out of my midpipe and put it back in the scoop yesterday. i noticed no difference what so ever. did you also relocate the rubber piece to hold in the temp sensor? i would just check all the clamps on the midpipe and the filter. mine flexes so much that every once in a while the pipe will come out of the coupler and i can feel a performance difference almost immediately.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by sloppymax

the air temp sensor should not cause the car to run poorly. i actually took mine out of my midpipe and put it back in the scoop yesterday. i noticed no difference what so ever. did you also relocate the rubber piece to hold in the temp sensor? i would just check all the clamps on the midpipe and the filter. mine flexes so much that every once in a while the pipe will come out of the coupler and i can feel a performance difference almost immediately.

Yeah, I actually had my car's battery undone all last night, and when I tried it this morning, same thing...Not the temp sensor, I guess and yes, I did have it plugged in fully..I'm gonna move the temp sensor back to the stock box location in a few, and checik ann the clamps...that would be my guess

Thanks for the ideas