5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

They wanna take my Max away for 2 days???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 06:32 PM

to fix the TCM. brought it to them today for an oil change, and happened to mention the TSB for the TCM.

Service manager said "well, thats the way all Maximas shift. it's perfectly normal!" Other guy at the counter that is taking my keys so that they can drive the car around the back for servicing said "hey, my wife's Max does the same type of slippage when I start to push it a little! I've been telling these guys (service department) that for a while and they said it's normal!"

Stupid service manager said "well let me check around for any issues with that." I wait for 1hr and 1/2 for the oil change and when they call me to pick up the car, the guy said (not the service manager) "we need to set up an appointment for you to drop your car off, there was a TSB out on this issue." I asked him what are they going to do, and he said that they have to perform some checks including removing the tranny oil pan! The guy thanked me for convincing the service jerk that there is a problem with the tranny and slippage.

My question to you is, should I go ahead and get the TCM replaced, or should I just live with it? My main concern is I don't want the car to come back with more problems, it only has 4k miles on it!

And should i demand a rental?
Old 01-18-2001, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i say go ahead

I just hadthe same service done to my max this week. They had to replace the TCM (from inside the car thru the dash) and also work from under the car, replacing some solenoid valves, etc. Now, I definitely no longer have the same problems (so far), the shifts are crisp, and it feels as good as new. Downside? they had to keep my car for six hours, although that does sound a little better than the day and a half they want for you. if the problem really bothers you, i'd say go ahead, particularly since so many dealers are giving others in our position such a hard time. good luck
Old 01-18-2001, 06:52 PM
Oiprocs

go for it, totally. While the thing is under warranty and there is such little mileage (more likely there's no damage to the tranny itself), get the solenoid and TCM replaced so that you don't have trouble down the road and/or don't even have to have your tranny replaced. Think of how much you spent on the car, your enjoyment in driving the car, and a better ride versus the day and a half. Need I say more? Oh yeah....and demand a rental for sure. It's your fault that you spent at least 25k dollars on a car that they're ensuring is a good car, and you have to bring it in for tranny trouble so soon, let alone at all? Make them pay for your losses and compensate you!

Old 01-18-2001, 06:54 PM

Do it... it took them forever to acknowledge my problem and now my tranny is being replaced. Check out the thread I started on this topic today. You can see the full TSB in there.
Old 01-18-2001, 07:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Go for it... remember, you'll be paying for a new tranny if it goes out on you after the warranty expires.