5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Irregular Blinker Speed, SES Light On too... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 06:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Irregular Blinker Speed, SES Light On too... :-(

Hi All..

Well.. I'm driving the other day and I make a left turn and my blinker sounds like it's blinking too fast. I know that it will blink fast when a bulb is out, so i pull over to see if this is the case, and everything checked out.

So i start driving again, still itching my head about the irregular blinking speed, when i make a right turn, DAMN.. same $h!T!!! the right one is blinking all whacky too, like fast then slow, fast then slow..

Then I throw my rear window defogger on and I start hearing this faint ticking sound, sounded like a stun gun arching, coming from near the climate control unit thingy. Thought it was odd, so I shut off the defogger.

Finally, after a few more whacky lefts and rights, my SES Light comes on. I'm like, great.. this sucks. All of that happened in about a 5 minute interval. After the light came on, the blinkers seemed to be working normal again, but this morning they were acting up. At one point they were blinking so fast that it seemed like they were on solid.

Anyway, I have an appoinment w/ Nissan tomorrow morning, was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what this might be..

Thanks all..
Nick
Old 04-17-2003, 06:01 AM
NT2SHBBY

your car is in self-destruct mode....

Old 04-17-2003, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
your car is in self-destruct mode....
I truly hope this isn't the case.. LOL

L8R,
Nick
Old 04-17-2003, 06:58 AM

Re: Irregular Blinker Speed, SES Light On too... :-(

Originally posted by massvmax2003
Hi All..

Well.. I'm driving the other day and I make a left turn and my blinker sounds like it's blinking too fast. I know that it will blink fast when a bulb is out, so i pull over to see if this is the case, and everything checked out.

So i start driving again, still itching my head about the irregular blinking speed, when i make a right turn, DAMN.. same $h!T!!! the right one is blinking all whacky too, like fast then slow, fast then slow..

Then I throw my rear window defogger on and I start hearing this faint ticking sound, sounded like a stun gun arching, coming from near the climate control unit thingy. Thought it was odd, so I shut off the defogger.

Finally, after a few more whacky lefts and rights, my SES Light comes on. I'm like, great.. this sucks. All of that happened in about a 5 minute interval. After the light came on, the blinkers seemed to be working normal again, but this morning they were acting up. At one point they were blinking so fast that it seemed like they were on solid.

Anyway, I have an appoinment w/ Nissan tomorrow morning, was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what this might be..

Thanks all..
Nick

A fast blinker usually means a blown bulb, but in your case
Old 04-17-2003, 08:58 AM

Re: Re: Irregular Blinker Speed, SES Light On too... :-(

Originally posted by raiste

A fast blinker usually means a blown bulb, but in your case
That's what I'm saying, it's so weird. Fast and slow, wouldn't that mean there was a varying resistance up in the mix somewhere? What could go on the car that would cause a varrying resistance to be present?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-17-2003, 09:13 AM

Alternator??
Old 04-17-2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Maxman2000
Alternator??
But if it was the alternator, wouldn't i be experiencing other symptoms like dimming lights, etc..?? Since it's not doing anything like that, I don't think it has to do w/ it.

Anymore suggestions?
Nick
Old 04-17-2003, 09:26 AM

You wouldn't necessarily have dimming lights with a bad alternator. Could be putting out too much voltage, in which case you may have symptoms like you have.

Too bad Nissan doesn't want to give us a full complement of guages, otherwise you would probably see something like voltage being too high.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:44 AM

I doubt this has anything to do with it, but my friend with a mazda experienced the problem with both sides of the signals sometimes going double speed, and sometimes normal. He traced it back to a loose connection somplace near the actual signal switch, or the hazards switch, or where the two meet? I don't quite remember the details.

Let us know tomorrow

-James
Old 04-17-2003, 09:52 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

My turn signal relay started squealing like a pig and doing all kinds of off stuff. I actually had to argue with them to replace it, as high pitched squealing wasnt technically broken and the odd behaviour was intermittent .. after two trips I was getting pi$$ed and just said I would buy the $7 relay myself. They finally offered to replace it.. and managed to crease my driver side leather while under the dash Lesson learned.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by TimW
My turn signal relay started squealing like a pig and doing all kinds of off stuff. I actually had to argue with them to replace it, as high pitched squealing wasnt technically broken and the odd behaviour was intermittent .. after two trips I was getting pi$$ed and just said I would buy the $7 relay myself. They finally offered to replace it.. and managed to crease my driver side leather while under the dash Lesson learned.
gotta love nissan service!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by TimW
But would this cause the SES light to come on?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-17-2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by 00SEinMA
I doubt this has anything to do with it, but my friend with a mazda experienced the problem with both sides of the signals sometimes going double speed, and sometimes normal. He traced it back to a loose connection somplace near the actual signal switch, or the hazards switch, or where the two meet? I don't quite remember the details.

Let us know tomorrow

-James
Yeah, I'm thinking either some intermittant connection or maybe a bad ground. Could be just a bad relay.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:02 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

no SES from the relay failing.. I dont see anyway for that to throw a SES.

Keep in mind mine's a 2k. I think 2k2+ are more prone to a bad stalk on the steering column than the relay failing. *i think*
Old 04-17-2003, 06:12 PM

My wifes camry does the same thing with the blinker. First time it did it, I took it to the dealer and he just pulled the front blinker bulb and adjusted the socket. It's been fine since. Problem is the other side is doing it and when I try to mess with the socket it only fixes it temporarily. After about 2-3 weeks it starts blinking fast again. The bulb still works so I just left it. Been too lazy to take it to the dealer.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

speedy

have you replaced any of your bulbs w/ overwattage bulbs? My friend did in his 97 and fried fog light wires which then f-ed up his blinkers and hazzards. got the wiring fixed and now he blows a fog light bulb every couple of weeks! g/l