5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 08:59 AM

camber adjustment

Edit: just went to tireracks site and they have camber bolts for the front.

The alignment shop told me that camber isn't adjustable on my SE. I asked them if i could just put in camber bolts and they said i can't do that, but then i took a look at the suspension when i had the wheel off and i can't see why it wouldn't work. i don't want to go strut tops either. anyone using camber bolts successfully?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:47 PM
ABS

Re: camber adjustment

Originally posted by tdxflex
Edit: just went to tireracks site and they have camber bolts for the front.

The alignment shop told me that camber isn't adjustable on my SE. I asked them if i could just put in camber bolts and they said i can't do that, but then i took a look at the suspension when i had the wheel off and i can't see why it wouldn't work. i don't want to go strut tops either. anyone using camber bolts successfully?
I bought the Eibach bolt kit from Tire Rack and wanted to put it in my car too. Upon closer inspection, the Eibach bolts, even with the cam on it, are too narrow for the holes in the 2K2 SE. Also, even if you figured out how to use them, they are not designed to take the same pressures as the OEM bolts. I definitely do not recommend the Eibach kit from Tire Rack.

I think Progress may make a camber kit that could be better . . .
Old 04-17-2003, 05:36 PM

Why are you having to adjust the camber? I have my Max dropped quite a bit and the shop I took it to said that the camber was still reasonable. He also said that if my tires begin to wear uneven he could actually tack weld the nut to the strut and push the strut to where it needs to be. He said he could do it for like $30 and said that he really doesn't like the camber bolts either. He claims that if they work so well why aren't they OEM?
Old 04-17-2003, 06:13 PM

i want to get rid of my cross-camber. not everyone drives the same way so when the shop says "camber is within reason", that's just according to factory tolerances. tire wear is a good indicator and the way my camber is now i'm positive my front left will wear out on the outside faster than my front right over time. the front left camber is 0.3 degrees, front right camber is -0.8 degrees. and i don't want to wait until my tires start getting chewed up to correct it.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:15 PM

What kind of springs are you guys on. I'm just on H&R and I seem to have camber problems. A little off topic, but has anyone here on the org had their rear camber adjusted. This shop I went to says I have too much negative camber and they could fix it for $100. I didn't go for it though.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:27 PM

i'm on stock springs. don't know about H&Rs on maximas, but on subaru's they have the biggest drop out of most so i wouldn't be surprised if you had excessive negative camber. someone probably makes camber bolts for the rear, that would give you some adjustability, usually around +- 1 degree.

about that welding the nut and pushing the strut, you won't be able to get as much adjustment compared to camber bolts but if you don't need a lot then this is another way to go. and a lot of other cars have eccentric bolts for camber adjustment stock, i really have no idea why maximas don't. usually oem eccentric bolts are more heavy duty, i've seen some pretty noodle looking camber bolts around - those are probably the ones your mechanic doesn't like. if they don't fit well, they can work themselves loose.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:20 PM

I had one of these installed.... Not to get a lower ride, but to fix a curb hit.

GMP Performance Camber Bolts

So far so good....
Old 04-17-2003, 09:34 PM
ABS

Originally posted by 2kmist
What kind of springs are you guys on. I'm just on H&R and I seem to have camber problems. A little off topic, but has anyone here on the org had their rear camber adjusted. This shop I went to says I have too much negative camber and they could fix it for $100. I didn't go for it though.
I haven't checked my alignment yet since I just dropped my car. However, you should not be able to adjust the rear camber no matter what . . . The camber is set at the factory at the spindle. If the camber is out in back, then you might have to replace the spindles or other suspension components.