5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fair price for a clear bra on hood only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Fair price for a clear bra on hood only?

I am being quoted $250 for just the strip that goes on the hood. That seems high. Has anybody had this done?
Old 04-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Fair price for a clear bra on hood only?

Originally posted by asu174
I am being quoted $250 for just the strip that goes on the hood. That seems high. Has anybody had this done?
Not just the hood but the whole kit. Bumper, hood, mirrors. The WHOLE price including labor was 350.

I believe you could do it yourself. The hood is the easiest part. No complex curves or anything mostly flat. I am replacing mine this summer because of some nasty "cuts" that it has. Save my hood but the clear bra is a little scruffy looking.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:38 AM

Re: Re: Fair price for a clear bra on hood only?

Originally posted by Colonel

Not just the hood but the whole kit. Bumper, hood, mirrors. The WHOLE price including labor was 350.

I believe you could do it yourself. The hood is the easiest part. No complex curves or anything mostly flat. I am replacing mine this summer because of some nasty "cuts" that it has. Save my hood but the clear bra is a little scruffy looking.
Where can you buy the piece for the hood?
Old 04-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Fair price for a clear bra on hood only?

Where can you buy the piece for the hood?
Xpel Link for 2K2 SE

I assumed you went SE for your 2K2.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:26 AM
NT2SHBBY

i dunno, maybe its me....but that clear bra makes it look like your car has dirt on the hood.... with that line running across

Old 04-17-2003, 11:31 AM

Re: Fair price for a clear bra on hood only?

I bought mine online, don't remember where now. Might have been XPel. Paid $99 plus shipping.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
i dunno, maybe its me....but that clear bra makes it look like your car has dirt on the hood.... with that line running across
Unless you have seen it in person, you just cant understand it. I have it and when my car is completely wash/waxed. You have to be within 2-5 feet to see it.

When its dirty, what give its away is how the dirt collects on the trailing edge.

Trust me, its the BEST $350 I have spent on my car, and I did have the WHOLE kit installed by professionals. I dont have to complain about chips, pull and farck around with a soft bra (I can wash/wax as if its paint), or have the visual intrusion of a rock shield.

I am replacing the hood piece because a mud/rock clod dropped off a dump truck and smashed my hood and then smashed my windshield. Cracked the windshield but saved my hood paint. Still a dent in the hood, but no paint damage.

I WHOLE HEARTEDLY recommend this product. ESPECIALLY if you own a Nissan (**** *** paint)
Old 04-17-2003, 11:39 AM
NT2SHBBY

Unless you have seen it in person, you just cant understand it. I have it and when my car is completely wash/waxed. You have to be within 2-5 feet to see it.

When its dirty, what give its away is how the dirt collects on the trailing edge.
what makes you think that I haven't seen it in person??? 2k2nyc has it on his car and all I saw was a line on the hood and I didn't like it...looked like he removed a regular bra and didn't clean the line...

Old 04-17-2003, 11:46 AM

I agree with colonel. I have the hood, mirrors, headlights, foglights and door edges. Mine was about $200 installed. Found installer on xpel website. Less hassle, looks good, great protection - worth it.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:51 AM

I paid $100 for it online. Install too about 15-20 mins; piece of cake. It's similar to tinting windows (which I've never done myself but have seen others do). Great product; I highly recommend it, and do the install yourself.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

what makes you think that I haven't seen it in person??? 2k2nyc has it on his car and all I saw was a line on the hood and I didn't like it...looked like he removed a regular bra and didn't clean the line...
Dude you need to relax. Have a beer and enjoy life. I was not pickin on you at all. If you dont like it, thats cool. No problem by me what so ever.

But yes, in response to your comment its NOT invisible. But neither is a rock guard, regular bra OR having the chips. Unfortunately its (hood/front end protection) a necessary evil with Nissans ****ty assed paint.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:15 PM
NT2SHBBY

Dude you need to relax. Have a beer and enjoy life. I was not pickin on you at all. If you dont like it, thats cool. No problem by me what so ever.

But yes, in response to your comment its NOT invisible. But neither is a rock guard, regular bra OR having the chips. Unfortunately its (hood/front end protection) a necessary evil with Nissans ****ty assed paint.
sorry bro....I'm calm...not a drinker here....now tell me to go smoke a blunt, I'll take you up on that... ....actually I might go for one after all...not sure yet...besides my side sills having chips, nothing else on my car is chipped yet....All I have right now is a magnet bra....I just don't like when people tell me I don't "understand" things....like I said..I've seen it in person

Old 04-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Horra!!

invicashield has the same product for 70 bucks. Xpel is overpriced
Old 04-17-2003, 12:28 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by looslip
invicashield has the same product for 70 bucks. Xpel is overpriced
u have a URL for me dude???

Old 04-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

now tell me to go smoke a blunt, I'll take you up on that...
Not my vice...but to each their own vices

I just don't like when people tell me I don't "understand" things....like I said..I've seen it in person
I can see where my statement can bug. Most people have never seen it, bad assumption on my part. Its just really hard to describe how it looks on a car. You know?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Andy just do to midway or something and get the 3M ultraguard thing. Just do the whole damn hood and bumper and fenders to make sure you get no chips. It overkill but that sometimes is just the way to go.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:32 PM
NT2SHBBY

Not my vice...but to each their own vices

I can see where my statement can bug. Most people have never seen it, bad assumption on my part. Its just really hard to describe how it looks on a car. You know?
dude...its all good in the hood!

Old 04-17-2003, 12:38 PM

Better than oodles of rock chips....

Yes, it's for my 2K2. What tools would I need?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:39 PM
NT2SHBBY

besides the previous one posted, anyone have any other sites that sell this 3m clear bra relatively inexpensively? I might pick it up but I want the whole front end, not just hood

Old 04-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Better than oodles of rock chips....

Yes, it's for my 2K2. What tools would I need?
On the link I gave you, check out the "needed" tools. Squeegies (sp), spray bottles, some "chemicals" to prep the hood and such. Best probably to read throught the site to get an idea of what needed and involved, whether you buy there or not. Fairly informative site.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:50 PM

besides the previous one posted, anyone have any other sites that sell this 3m clear bra relatively inexpensively? I might pick it up but I want the whole front end, not just hood
I bought my standard kit from here: http://www.invinca-shield.com/ASP/makeo.asp
Standard Kit $67 (includes hood, end caps)
Deluxe Kit (Includes Standard Kit) $289

I installed mine with a friend, 2 people do work out better to make sure everything is aligned. My advice is to take a shop light and go over the clear bra (once its semi-adhered to the car) to look for any small bubbles. Take them out while you can with the squeege. Once it dries, you can use a needle to puncture the bubbles, and can also scratch the paint if you aren't careful. I am very happy with the hood piece, wish I got is sooner.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:02 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Uconn411

I bought my standard kit from here: http://www.invinca-shield.com/ASP/makeo.asp
Standard Kit $67 (includes hood, end caps)
Deluxe Kit (Includes Standard Kit) $289

I installed mine with a friend, 2 people do work out better to make sure everything is aligned. My advice is to take a shop light and go over the clear bra (once its semi-adhered to the car) to look for any small bubbles. Take them out while you can with the squeege. Once it dries, you can use a needle to puncture the bubbles, and can also scratch the paint if you aren't careful. I am very happy with the hood piece, wish I got is sooner.
thanx dude...u da man!

Old 04-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Horra!!

u have a URL for me dude???
Here you go bro

invinca sheild