5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone tried the electric blowers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 11:20 AM
mjk
Head shot!!!

Has anyone tried the electric blowers?

do these electric blowers really work?? this is their site they supposedly dynoed a 2002 maxima here-> http://www.jmsproductsinc.com/

Old 04-17-2003, 11:27 AM
It's chrome alright...

no, in general they are a waste of money. You can read all about in the FAQ.

In a related story...
PLEASE BRING BACK THE SEARCH !!!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
In a related story...
PLEASE BRING BACK THE SEARCH !!!

These Noobs are driving me nuts!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:45 AM

Re: Has anyone tried the electric blowers?

Originally posted by mjk
do these electric blowers really work?? this is their site they supposedly dynoed a 2002 maxima here-> http://www.jmsproductsinc.com/

That's cool, but if you want real power, try a leaf blower. I have a john deere rigged to a spare boat battery in the trunk that is wired to a throttle position switch. When I go wide open throttle it spins up and my boost guage registers a positive pressure of 3.5 psi
Old 04-17-2003, 11:58 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Has anyone tried the electric blowers?

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

That's cool, but if you want real power, try a leaf blower. I have a john deere rigged to a spare boat battery in the trunk that is wired to a throttle position switch. When I go wide open throttle it spins up and my boost guage registers a positive pressure of 3.5 psi
damn, man, that's a good idea...

I could only find a desk fan and a cig. adapter plug so I have to manually plug mine in... and I couldn't figure out how to get the fan to stop oscillating so I only get boost every .8 seconds when it's aimed right down the intake
Old 04-17-2003, 12:08 PM
NT2SHBBY

now if I could only find my b!tch slapping mit......

Old 04-17-2003, 12:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Has anyone tried the electric blowers?

I could only find a desk fan and a cig. adapter plug so I have to manually plug mine in... and I couldn't figure out how to get the fan to stop oscillating so I only get boost every .8 seconds when it's aimed right down the intake

see, that's a fairly common problem with the desk fan FI guys. did you use urethane bushings on the brackets for the desk fan mounts? They should take up some of the vibration and stabilize it some. Also, if you empty a windex bottle and fill it with NO2, you can duct tape it behind the fan and you'll get DOUBLE the power! Have you ever rigged a pulley system? Get some twine, with two pulleys, if you're creative you can route a line through the firewall so you can just pull the string from inside the car and squeeze the trigger on your windex bottle. You can spray at will. Can you say 9's? WOOOOOOSH!
Old 04-17-2003, 12:23 PM

Yes. I have done some beta testing with JMS Products. However, we found that the dyno results gave us 3.09 SAE HP and 10.91 SAE ft/lbs or torque using 2 blowers. However, they did produce HP and torque on vehicles such as SC/Turbo Cobras, Corvettes, and even a Toyota Corolla. It appears that while the system does work and the VQ35 engine can handle the extra forced air, the system itself doesn't produce the expected results on the VQ35 engine. And I have the dynos to back this up with too.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:11 PM

I was thinking about making a custom intake that had room for 3 or 4 of them in a row. I figure with that I would be pushing major boost. But first I would have to buy that thing on ebay to boost my timing.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:10 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

Originally posted by studman
Yes. I have done some beta testing with JMS Products. However, we found that the dyno results gave us 1 HP and 19 ft/lbs or torque using 2 blowers. However, they did produce HP and torque on vehicles such as SC/Turbo Cobras, Corvettes, and even a Toyota Corolla. It appears that while the system does work and the VQ35 engine can handle the extra forced air, the system itself doesn't produce the expected results on the VQ35 engine. And I have the dynos to back this up with too.
thanx alot. can it be combined with a PR cai? i know, i know. ima newbie
Old 04-17-2003, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Has anyone tried the electric blowers?

ROTFLMAO
Old 04-17-2003, 03:52 PM

can it be combined with a PR cai?
Technically it can, but the physical limitations of the inner dimensions of our engine bay don't really allow for it (READ: it won't fit). Also, the blowers would have to be activated once the car is rolling, as they push too much air into the car at idle, which causes the car to stall. So it'd have to be activated similarly to Nitrous... after a certain RPM has been reached.

When we did the testing, I kept the upper tube of the PR CAI installed. The MAF was bolted to the upper tube, and we attached the blower(s) directly to the MAF. Yes... I was scared of another MAF failure. But I had changed my intake a few times without any problems, so I figured it would be a good test. The MAF model was 22680-AM600, which is the one being installed by the TSB and the one already installed on the 2003 models. So I guess it's good to know that these MAFs are gonna hold up to higher winds.

I also had to purchase a Greddy E-Manage (similar to APEXi S-AFC (II)) unit. My air/fuel curves were way off when I arrived there. Once the unit was installed, it was tuned for all runs. This means that I made multiple runs to tune the air/fuel under the condition that was tested. Once it was tuned for that setup, I then made a set of runs. Then, we changed setups, re-tuned the air/fuel curves, and made another set of runs. Then, we changed the setup again, re-tuned the air/fuel curves again, and made a final set of runs. After all the testing was over, I obviously re-tuned it to my normal configuration.

The testing resulted in the following:

WAI/Y/B/Cat/Exhaust/E-Manage ---> 211.59 HP and 223.36 ft/lbs Torque (SAE Corrected)
WAI/Y/B/Cat/Exhaust/E-Manage/Single Blower ---> 213.48 HP and 230.74 ft/lbs Torque (SAE Corrected)
WAI/Y/B/Cat/Exhaust/E-Manage/Double Blower ---> 214.68 HP and 234.27 ft/lbs Torque (SAE Corrected)

The SAE Correction Factor was high due to the weather, so I'll post the same runs uncorrected.

WAI/Y/B/Cat/Exhaust/E-Manage ---> 221.48 HP and 233.79 ft/lbs Torque (Uncorrected)
WAI/Y/B/Cat/Exhaust/E-Manage/Single Blower ---> 222.81 HP and 240.82 ft/lbs Torque (Uncorrected)
WAI/Y/B/Cat/Exhaust/E-Manage/Double Blower ---> 225.06 HP and 245.60 ft/lbs Torque (Uncorrected)
Old 04-17-2003, 04:04 PM

I have it on good authority....

Bill Clinton probably did....
Old 04-17-2003, 04:46 PM

i think it goes under the tornado intake system!!!

What a joke!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:35 PM

What exactly is the Greddy E-Manage? Is it like an ECU, or something that takes its place?
Old 04-17-2003, 05:43 PM

It's a piggy back engine management system similar to the APEXi S-AFC II. However, it can control ignition timing, VTEC settings, and alot more.