5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

speaking of stealing/breaking into..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 02:42 PM
Oiprocs

I live in NYC and although the crime rate is high here, there are idiots all over the world that will steal things that aren't theirs because they're selfish and thoughtless. That brings me to the 17 inch stock wheels. When I had my GXE I had the plain, nasty looking 16 inch stock wheels that came with the comfort and convenience. No worry. Now, it took me about three weeks to notice that the 17 inch stock rims on the SE have caps to cover the lugs. Now I know it serves for better styling, but the older SE's didn't have caps and I think their stock rims still looked hot. Just one more thing to worry about getting stolen that you can do NOTHING about to protect....especially since they steal them ALL the time here in NYC

Old 01-19-2001, 02:49 PM
Got Bent?

Cheap protection: Wheel locks. It won't stop anyone who realy wants them...but it is a deterrent.
Old 01-19-2001, 02:53 PM
Oiprocs

THanks for the suggestion but I was talking about the caps themselves, not the rims entirely. People steal the caps that cover the lugs on stock rims that have them (even aftermarkets) like hot cakes around here. Since the covers are always being stolen, they're always being sold. So it's like a big circle. They're stolen, so people need to go buy them again, so people steal them to sell them.

Really messed up if you ask me, but what isn't?

Old 01-19-2001, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Oiprocs
I live in NYC and although the crime rate is high here, there are idiots all over the world that will steal things that aren't theirs because they're selfish and thoughtless. That brings me to the 17 inch stock wheels. When I had my GXE I had the plain, nasty looking 16 inch stock wheels that came with the comfort and convenience. No worry. Now, it took me about three weeks to notice that the 17 inch stock rims on the SE have caps to cover the lugs. Now I know it serves for better styling, but the older SE's didn't have caps and I think their stock rims still looked hot. Just one more thing to worry about getting stolen that you can do NOTHING about to protect....especially since they steal them ALL the time here in NYC
One thing you can do to protect them is remove them. Or buy better wheels and sell the 17s to someone else.
Old 01-19-2001, 03:04 PM
Oiprocs

I like the rims though. I don't want to buy new ones if I like the ones I already have. Plus what's the point of removing them and keeping them in the house? Yeah so they're not stolen, but your wheels look crappy because the wheels were made to have them. So everything underneath wasn't made "nice" to show.

[Edited by oiprocs on 01-19-2001 at 05:07 PM]

Old 01-19-2001, 03:28 PM

I like the rims though. I don't want to buy new ones if I like the ones I already have. Plus what's the point of removing them and keeping them in the house? Yeah so they're not stolen, but your wheels look crappy because the wheels were made to have them. So everything underneath wasn't made "nice" to show.

[Edited by oiprocs on 01-19-2001 at 05:07 PM]
Removing them was a joke
Old 01-19-2001, 03:32 PM
Oiprocs

well spank my **** and call me charlie...it's hard to see the sarcasm in type-written words! Don't hold it against me, really, I am cool! HAH HAH HAH

Old 01-19-2001, 04:02 PM

The Five point , 16inch rim on the GLE is much nicer. If I had a SE I could not sleep with those caps. It's kinda stupid design. Those idiots here in NYC are lifting them as if it was a five dollar bill on the ground
Old 01-19-2001, 04:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oiprocs

I know how you feel, after they broke into my car I thought "why the f#@% did I buy a $28k car?". But the anger will wear off and I will just be more careful of leaving anything visibal in the car for bums to steal. My next two deterants are tinted glass (harder to see inside at night) and a good alarm (Nissan alarm is just a selling tool).

Mark
Old 01-19-2001, 04:24 PM

really, I am cool! HAH HAH HAH
He's lying guys... don't trust him!
Old 01-19-2001, 04:41 PM

Re: Oiprocs

Originally posted by Maximam

... and a good alarm (Nissan alarm is just a selling tool).

Really? I was under the impression that the nissan stock alarm would be sufficient... IT WILL go off when somebody tries to steal the car?? right??

Oh, I've also been wondering how hard is it for a crook to get past the fuel cut-off (electronic proximity key) mechanism??

I'm fairly certain that it would baffle your plain old, vanilla, hot-wiring thief...

But what about somebody with a tad more skill.. a semi-pro??

-Tom

PS.. I've seen wrenches that supposedly remove any lock nut.... Ingenious little inventions, but have never seen one in action..

And Nissan does sell SE rims without the caps... I even think they are cheaper (by like $20 each) than the ones you have if you wanted to buy them...