5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Leather Seats Flakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 08:19 AM

Leather Seats Flakes

I have a strange problem with my blonde leather seats. The front passenger seat has suddenly aquired rips (in the seat bottom) that appears as if something "roughed up" the leather, as if you took a cheese grater and rubbed it on the seat. Took it to the dealer; no problem - ordered me another seat bottom. Well, yesterday I'm cleaning the car and the back seat is doing the exact same thing! I show it to the service manager and he's hesitant to just order a new back seat and wants me to bring it in next week to show his Nissan Rep. Anyone have a similar problem with their leather? By the way, I've had the car for 16 months (11,000 miles), and have taken emaculate care of it.

Buzz
Old 04-19-2003, 10:22 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah... head to the closet Look for any shorts with zippers on the back pocket or zippers on the side for front pockets. Although there may be a flap covering the zipper, when you slide in the car, the zipper will be exposed and dig in... Also, make sure you dont have any jeans with rough rivets, same goes for belts. I noticed some levi's will try to catch on the seat back when getting out.

I was Lexol-ing alot when I first got the car and noticed that before it did much damage. Just curious, how much was the new cover?

And we are kinda kicking around the idea of another mini-meet in Central AR.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by TimW
yeah... head to the closet Look for any shorts with zippers on the back pocket or zippers on the side for front pockets. Although there may be a flap covering the zipper, when you slide in the car, the zipper will be exposed and dig in... Also, make sure you dont have any jeans with rough rivets, same goes for belts. I noticed some levi's will try to catch on the seat back when getting out.

I was Lexol-ing alot when I first got the car and noticed that before it did much damage. Just curious, how much was the new cover?

And we are kinda kicking around the idea of another mini-meet in Central AR.
Tim,

I had thought about zippers/rivets/etc., but here's the rub, the only thing that had been in the passenger seat with any degree of regularity was a gym bag; I checked it and found nothing that would catch on the seat. Plus, there has been nothing at all in the back seat for about 10 months. The really weird part is that the same piece (left-most part of the seat bottom) on both the passenger & the back seat is doing this. My buddy who's the parts guy at the dealer has seen this happen before (mainly on GM's); the leather just literally separates. So, I'm hoping the rep will agree and I'll get a new back seat. Before I got the passenger seat bottom, I checked with an upholsterer and they could not help me cause they are unable to get replacement pieces for newer Nissans. Charles (the parts guy) said just the seat bottom (can't just buy the leather piece) goes for between $800-1000. I noticed that the 04 Max leather seats are the breathable kind like the Infiniti has. Makes me wonder if I screwed up. Anyway, if you set a meet, lemme know about a week in advance. See ya...

Buzz

Buzz