5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

350z power over 2k3 max?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by 1BaDMaXiMa

I have an auto 03 Max and i took it to the track last weekend here in Michigan. Read the sig for mods but i ran a 14.39@ 98 mph with a 2.23 60 foot. So if the Z is just one of the slower ones than it may lose to one of the faster Max's...it doesnt ALWAYS depend upon the drivers. Some of these cars come out of the box just naturally quick and some just come out as Lemons. Just the like the rest of the other threads im sure no one will believe i ran a 14.39.
wow thats a great time for an auto.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:44 AM
Blu
the tits

I have an auto 03 Max and i took it to the track last weekend here in Michigan. Read the sig for mods but i ran a 14.39@ 98 mph with a 2.23 60 foot. So if the Z is just one of the slower ones than it may lose to one of the faster Max's...it doesnt ALWAYS depend upon the drivers. Some of these cars come out of the box just naturally quick and some just come out as Lemons. Just the like the rest of the other threads im sure no one will believe i ran a 14.39.
Timeslips
Old 04-24-2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

Timeslips
I dont have a scanner or else i'd have pics of my car everywhere...I dont have alot of time on my hands or else i would find someone to scan my slips. I really didnt care what my Max would run stock because all i want is a power adder. I will be looking to get these slips scanned.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:40 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I dont have a scanner or else i'd have pics of my car everywhere...I dont have alot of time on my hands or else i would find someone to scan my slips. I really didnt care what my Max would run stock because all i want is a power adder. I will be looking to get these slips scanned.
I hate to be a d!ck, but if I ran a 14.39 in my auto, I'd have the slips up before any words were typed in my post...

Better get the slip scanned soon. Ever heard of Kinko's?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Blu
the tits

Im just curious thats all. Those are some impressive times. BTW I have a 02 auto myself there pretty quick
Old 04-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Quicksilver

I hate to be a d!ck, but if I ran a 14.39 in my auto, I'd have the slips up before any words were typed in my post...

Better get the slip scanned soon. Ever heard of Kinko's?
Old 04-24-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE

On my day off i'll do it just for you...im not bragging..i wish my car was faster. Many knock the auto's but i think some are just as quick.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

To stay on topic, the Z has a superior (to our car anyway) intake, more agressive tuning, and if I remember correctly, higher compression pistons. It also has a more freely flowing dual exhaust setup. More air in and out, and more fuel added to the mix usually means more power. It's RWD setup is ideal for traction while accelerating, turning, and has been proven over and over again in both theory and operation. All wheel drive setups are superior in acceleration and mid speed handling, but for top speed performance, it's got to be RWD for maximum effectiveness (and less overall parasitic loss). Now, there are plenty of fast FWD and AWD cars, but AWD cars are more expensive to produce and are heavier overall in their respective segments. FWD cars just can't hang with similar powered & weighted RWD cars because of the physical dynamics of the platform. They also can't turn or drift like RWD cars can (they tend to understeer...sometimes severely when the brakes are applied too hastily). There are valid reasons for all of the platforms to exist and for each of their overall uses. Think of all the current races (leagues/types)...NASCAR, IRL, LeMans, NHRA...all use RWD cars (well, 99% of them overall are).

what are you talking about man?

RWD is better than FWD for a lot of things, but parasitic loss isn't one of them. A WHOLE lot more drivetrain loss is incurred when you're driving a pair of wheels through a driveshaft that is 6-8 feet long. Even more so for AWD.

What does traction have to do with power? nothing.

FWD cars can turn and drift like RWD cars can. Watch the british touring cup for proof. All it takes is a different suspension set up and a different approach on the corner. Trail-Braking into a corner will cause OVERSTEER on any car. This has less to do with drivetrain than weight distribution. In a FWD vehicle, the idea is to brake early, enter the corner at a low speed and power out early. In a RWD vehicle, you have to try to carry more speed through the corner, and modulate the gas pedal and slowly accelerate out of the corner to avoid catastrophic oversteer. You don't need a SOLO I license to know this, go rent grand turismo.

Few fun facts:

The Z does NOT have higher compression pistons. Listed compression is identical.

The one thing that really hurts FWD is the lack of ability to LAUNCH hard. This is because of weight transfer off the front tires during hard acceleration.

A true sports car is RWD

A 350Z is slightly faster than the 2k2 maxima. I know this, my friend and I race all the time.

As for Dave B and his constant 2k2 hating, read the sig and weep. 14.8 HAH. That run was also in 85 degree weather.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

what are you talking about man?

RWD is better than FWD for a lot of things, but parasitic loss isn't one of them. A WHOLE lot more drivetrain loss is incurred when you're driving a pair of wheels through a driveshaft that is 6-8 feet long. Even more so for AWD.

What does traction have to do with power? nothing.

FWD cars can turn and drift like RWD cars can. Watch the british touring cup for proof. All it takes is a different suspension set up and a different approach on the corner. Trail-Braking into a corner will cause OVERSTEER on any car. This has less to do with drivetrain than weight distribution. In a FWD vehicle, the idea is to brake early, enter the corner at a low speed and power out early. In a RWD vehicle, you have to try to carry more speed through the corner, and modulate the gas pedal and slowly accelerate out of the corner to avoid catastrophic oversteer. You don't need a SOLO I license to know this, go rent grand turismo.

Few fun facts:

The Z does NOT have higher compression pistons. Listed compression is identical.

The one thing that really hurts FWD is the lack of ability to LAUNCH hard. This is because of weight transfer off the front tires during hard acceleration.

A true sports car is RWD

A 350Z is slightly faster than the 2k2 maxima. I know this, my friend and I race all the time.

As for Dave B and his constant 2k2 hating, read the sig and weep. 14.8 HAH. That run was also in 85 degree weather.
Agreed!
Old 04-24-2003, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by 02MaximaSE
at the track down here, ,a 350z track edition was pulling 13.8's at 109 mph with just k&n filter, or so he says. But upon inspection it was still stock, new car smell and 3,288 miles on the ODO
109mph with a K&N only? Yeah right.....