5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Smoke & embarassed a grand am...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 04:01 PM

Smoke & embarassed a grand am...

Hey guys, on my way home from work, this blue Grand Am, look like a 2002-2003, but not shure since I have no interest in those cars. Basically we are standing at the red light ( me left lane him right lane ) he anticipated the green and pull on the red light, about a second or two after the light turn green and I left but then he cut in front of me and put the hazard, Iol, I was wondering what kind of moron is this ? I then pull to the right lane and keep with him easily until the next light, then he pull again on the red, as a good citizen I wait for the green and then punch it , I quickly reach him and as soon as I shift into third it was all over, I pulled something like 10 cars on him, then I slowed down to wait for him again, as soon as he reach me, I punched it and then shift every gear at 7000 rpm, I kind of destroy him showing him to not fool around with max, should have seen his face, the guy looked like embarass.

Cheers

AA
Old 04-24-2003, 05:00 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Smoke & embarassed a grand am...

Originally posted by doublea
Hey guys, on my way home from work, this blue Grand Am, look like a 2002-2003, but not shure since I have no interest in those cars. Basically we are standing at the red light ( me left lane him right lane ) he anticipated the green and pull on the red light, about a second or two after the light turn green and I left but then he cut in front of me and put the hazard, Iol, I was wondering what kind of moron is this ? I then pull to the right lane and keep with him easily until the next light, then he pull again on the red, as a good citizen I wait for the green and then punch it , I quickly reach him and as soon as I shift into third it was all over, I pulled something like 10 cars on him, then I slowed down to wait for him again, as soon as he reach me, I punched it and then shift every gear at 7000 rpm, I kind of destroy him showing him to not fool around with max, should have seen his face, the guy looked like embarass.

Cheers

AA
how did you shift at 7k?
Old 04-24-2003, 05:14 PM

shifted at 7000?
good question sloppy
Dude what is it with stupi @ss pontiac drivers? even a grand prix GTP cant hang much less a grand am i had one that was going like 25 mph in a 35 so i just pass him no big deal then aproaching the next light he is jumping on and off the gas taunting me so we go on through the light (i am stuck behind a piece of **** f150) so the truck goes to pull off and bam right when i am almost stoped behind the truck there goes the pontiac i see the butt end of it just drop as the guy smashes the gas WRONG MOVE BUD down to first REDLINE BAM second and im next to him then third i pull him by like 6-7 lengths in almost no time dang those are slow! so anyway i turned off and after i rounded the corner he went by with the piece of crap still screamin what an idiot
WHEELMAN
Old 04-24-2003, 05:36 PM

i have 2 friends with grand am gt's and they know not to mess with the max.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First of all... why bother?

You KNOW you can smoke a Grand Am GT... so leave it well alone (unless, of course, he persists)... but nothing real big to brag about.

The statement about the GTP? Be careful... there are GTPs with the Supercharged 3.8 out there that will spank a Max up and down and twice on Sundays. Especially if they've been modded.

-R
Old 04-24-2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE

You KNOW you can smoke a Grand Am GT... so leave it well alone (unless, of course, he persists)... but nothing real big to brag about.

The statement about the GTP? Be careful... there are GTPs with the Supercharged 3.8 out there that will spank a Max up and down and twice on Sundays. Especially if they've been modded.

-R
be careful about that. gtp's are better from a stop than the highway.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:01 PM

-R
i meant stock and yeah i know abou some that are modded an aquantance of mine named trent put almost 500 hp down on a dyno run with his. but look at the stats on a stock GTP then the max and factor in the lack of driving ability that is found in Farmington NM
WHEELMAN
Old 04-24-2003, 06:15 PM
mjg

Originally posted by WHEELMAN_03_SE

i meant stock and yeah i know abou some that are modded an aquantance of mine named trent put almost 500 hp down on a dyno run with his. but look at the stats on a stock GTP then the max and factor in the lack of driving ability that is found in Farmington NM
WHEELMAN
hey. the GTP will not spank a max 6 speed. thats a bunch of crap. I think they will own a max only if modded. My friend has tried to race me a few times with his 98 GTP, he never stood a chance.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by mjg

hey. the GTP will not spank a max 6 speed. thats a bunch of crap. I think they will own a max only if modded. My friend has tried to race me a few times with his 98 GTP, he never stood a chance.
Your point is exactly the one i was trying to defend dont jump me about it i said they cant hang obviously i wasnt clear
PONTIACS SUCK A BUNCH OF ANUS UNLES HEAVILLY MODDED
Old 04-24-2003, 06:22 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by mjg

dont the newer ones make more power. if youre going to compare a 6spd (2k2), might as well give the pontiac a fair chance. a 98 is five years old too.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by sloppymax

dont the newer ones make more power. if youre going to compare a 6spd (2k2), might as well give the pontiac a fair chance. a 98 is five years old too.
CAR AND DRIVER
Newest Grand Prix Gtp 2004 i think has 260 hp but with terrible engineering it manages a whopping 6.7 sec 0-60 whereas they report 6.0 0-60 for my 2k3 six speed im not sure about the gtps 1/4 but ill put money down saying it cannot that is CANNOT beat a 6spd max in a 1/4
Old 04-24-2003, 06:29 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

CAR AND DRIVER
Newest Grand Prix Gtp 2004 i think has 260 hp but with terrible engineering it manages a whopping 6.7 sec 0-60 whereas they report 6.0 0-60 for my 2k3 six speed im not sure about the gtps 1/4 but ill put money down saying it cannot that is CANNOT beat a 6spd max in a 1/4
dont get me wrong, im not defending them either but i dont trust magazine testing. too many factors just like on the street. if you drop the clutch at the perfect point and get great traction and shift perfectly, you could get a 0-60 of 6.0 but how many times does that happen. same for the pontiac.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:35 PM

dont get me wrong, im defending them either but i dont trust magazine testing. too many factors just like on the street. if you drop the clutch at the perfect point and get great traction and shift perfectly, you could get a 0-60 of 6.0 but how many times does that happen. same for the pontiac.
TRUE sloppy but i have confidince in my launch so bring on the gtp o and yeah mags are off but i figure they are off on every car so the slower cars really are slower and the quicker ones quicker i dont know maybe im stupid. and also they dont test cars that hae had proper break ins i have seen 2k3 six speeds in the 14.5s for 1/4 wheras they report best runs of 14.7 in mags most likely due to break in and driver being used to his car anyhow bring on the pontiac
WHEELMAN
Old 04-24-2003, 08:50 PM
mjg

Your point is exactly the one i was trying to defend dont jump me about it i said they cant hang obviously i wasnt clear
i ment to reply to the threat, not you.
sorry : (
Old 04-24-2003, 08:51 PM
mjg

thread too : ]
Old 04-24-2003, 11:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Smoke & embarassed a grand am...

how did you shift at 7k?
Old 04-25-2003, 07:35 PM

how did you shift at 7k?
Hey sloppymax, for a number of reason I cant explain the rev limiter doesn't kick in, since I have the Y-Pipe with Intake and muffler I can reach 7000rpm or very very close. My gf cousin own a max too and when I told him about shifting a 7000 or near he kinda laugh and though I was pushing it, well I took him on the spot and let him drive my maxima and since then he no longer argue about this no more. The only explanations I can think of is either because my ecu has been re-programmed twice or because the mods. When I initialy bought the max I mean when it was bone stock, it happend to me few times that I have hit the rev limiter but only in first gear, since then it litterally dissapear.

AA
Old 04-25-2003, 07:39 PM

-R
I never raced one before and the opportunity was too good plus I was alone in the car, so why not, if he would have smoke me I would have tell everyone.

AA
Old 04-25-2003, 09:01 PM

In regards to the 6.0 sec flat 0-60 time that car and driver posted with a 6speed max; that number is an average of all their launches, which I think they do around 5, so they must have gotten some 0-60 times under 6 seconds and few slightly above six. The article cited copious wheel spin, so a good driver who is accustomed to launching this car should be able to post 0-60 times in the 5's. People who have been turning in low 14's in the quarter are most definetly under 6 seconds to 60.
-Getz
Old 04-25-2003, 09:24 PM

No sense racing a grand spam...those cars are super weak...and it's a pontiac=****...Show me a grand ***** that'll go 100k trouble free, especially one of those supercharged models. I can see a whole mess of problems down the road with those.

Pontiac=POS
Old 04-26-2003, 05:35 AM

Also applies to chevys of the same ilk.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:05 AM

how did you shift at 7k?

People can shift at 90k rmp if its in their head....

j/k