5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

question about rattles for everyone

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 12:02 AM

i just noticed this rattle that seems to be right by the drivers door (above the window on the plastic paneling or closer to the front on the plastic paneling)...anyone know about this and how to fix it? i always hear everyone talk about a-pillars, b-pillars etc. etc. and i don't know what any of those are...is nissan gonna put out fixes for any of this? its on the drivers side
Old 01-21-2001, 12:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

actually....

my car has that 'buzz' coming in from around the radio/vent area. happens only in like half-throttle or when i'm just coasting in gears...
first i thought it was that 'bees in a can' sound coming from my Y-pipe, but i doubt it's my pipe.
maybe it's my stereo...do anyone else with aftermarket stereo have that 'buzz' or 'humm' noise coming in?
Old 01-21-2001, 07:02 AM

Rattles

I have solved several rattles using WD40. Just sprayed it in the creases between where the plastic ends touch in areas that I would think the rattle was coming from, and it worked!
Old 01-21-2001, 07:51 AM

Re: Rattles

Originally posted by sascuderi
I have solved several rattles using WD40. Just sprayed it in the creases between where the plastic ends touch in areas that I would think the rattle was coming from, and it worked!
Isn't that the fix suggested by joenissan at the edmunds.com Maxima forum?

Regards.
umpopa
Old 01-21-2001, 08:39 AM

I just stuck some papper towels in the holes. No more A-pillar problems. I'm gonna see if I can cut some notecards and stuff if in between the Stereo and climate control and on top of the stereo. Its better then getting it replaced and having it happen again in the short run.
Old 01-21-2001, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by MrBurner
i just noticed this rattle that seems to be right by the drivers door (above the window on the plastic paneling or closer to the front on the plastic paneling)...anyone know about this and how to fix it? i always hear everyone talk about a-pillars, b-pillars etc. etc. and i don't know what any of those are...is nissan gonna put out fixes for any of this? its on the drivers side
I hope this is what you where asking. A-pillar is where the tweeters are located and your outside rearview mirror. B-pillars are where the front seat belts are located and where the front/back door meet. The C-pillar is the back area behind the backdoors. Basically they are the "post" that hold up the roof and add structural rigidity and side-impact protection. What I did with the A-pillars was I stuck some papper towels inbetween the A-pillar/dash gap (where they meet) and jammed it in with a flat-head screw driver. I found that only the passenger side A-pillars needed this because of the huge gap. On my car, the drivers side was tight as can be. Also, my Bose radio was creaking. It was a quick fix. I got some 3x5 notecards and cut them to fit in the gap. I folded it over so it would be thicker and pushed it in with you guessed it, a screw driver. This worked and my car is now squeak, rattle, creak free. I find this way is better because I can get them fixed without having to mess with the dealer. It seems taht the only reason the squeaks are apparent is because some panels have to big of gaps (poor fit) and sticking this inbetween them stops the vibrations leading to squeaks.
Now onto the rear window windnoise. I think I'm gonna stick on some insulation tape sold at hardware stores. Its sorta a "foamish" thing with a sticky backside to stick onto things. If this works, I will post pictures and how I did this.