5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake Judder

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Brake Judder

I had the notorious brake trouble with brake judder after only 20k so instead of going through the endless cycle of re-surfacing, I opted to replace the front rotors with Stillen drilled rotors and metal matrix pads. The brakes work great now and there is no judder, but there is a noticeable whirring noice when stopping. Is this normal to expierence with drilled rotors? What is the maintenence like on the drilled rotors? Can they be resurfaced like stock rotors if needed? Any info will help.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:09 PM

Re: Brake Judder

I also have the same rotors/pads. Yes, there is some whirring noise when braking. BTW.... Brake Judder is back after 30+k. As someone who on other cars routinely got 100+k out of a set of rotors/pads, not sure what I am going to do next.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:25 PM

Re: Re: Brake Judder

Originally posted by jnovember
I also have the same rotors/pads. Yes, there is some whirring noise when braking. BTW.... Brake Judder is back after 30+k. As someone who on other cars routinely got 100+k out of a set of rotors/pads, not sure what I am going to do next.
did you do the rear rotors too?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Brake Judder

Check out my old post on this...Warped Rotors, I've had a nightmare with brakes, I've learned alot about cars through!

I have only had problems with my front w/60K my rears are still stock!

I will be resurfacing my XDrilled (2nd Cut) and my stock rear rotors (1st cut), soon as well as installing Raybestos Ceramic pads both front and rear.

If you read my post I'm wondering if it's something else besides driving style/ Nissan OEM Rotors and Pads, etc.....Calipers?

Good luck

Robert
Old 04-28-2003, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brake Judder

Originally posted by 2MuchMAX4U
Check out my old post on this...Warped Rotors, I've had a nightmare with brakes, I've learned alot about cars through!

I have only had problems with my front w/60K my rears are still stock!

I will be resurfacing my XDrilled (2nd Cut) and my stock rear rotors (1st cut), soon as well as installing Raybestos Ceramic pads both front and rear.

If you read my post I'm wondering if it's something else besides driving style/ Nissan OEM Rotors and Pads, etc.....Calipers?

Good luck

Robert
I already suggested that we need a poll to see what aftermarket pads + stock rotors work well on Max. From my own experience and posts here I got an impression that we have two brands for now: Raybestos Ceramic Quiet Stop and Porterfield R4S. Cutting rotors has been proven to be useless. I've already put 35-40k miles (it was too many miles ago to remember exactly) on my last set of stock rotors using R4S without that problem coming back. I haven't change my driving habbits, drive agressively, have open summer wheels and don't care about rotors temperature when I'm going to car wash. I've been doing so for two years. I do use torgue wrench, mostly out of habbit since it didn't prevent that judder from coming back the last two times when I had stock pads. Speaking of rotors temperature mine get very hot since I'm using T1S tires in summer and they significanly shorten stopping distance in comare with crappy stock A05. IMHO set of good pads well worth the hassle of cutting rotors twice a year. I also service brakes myself making sure that sliding pins actually slide .