5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 03:11 PM

Does anyone know the tint laws? I heard that you can't legally tint your windshield, but it seems the car would look wierd with tint everywhere but the windshield. I was thinking of getting a really mild tint, like 15% or so. Is it worth letting the dealer do it or can you get it done elsewhere as good or better? Anyone have a problem with the tint getting messed up from excessive temp in the summer or cleaning it on the inside?

Old 01-21-2001, 03:16 PM

To be honest, I didnt have my windshield tinted and I thought it was going to look retarded too, but it doesnt. There already is a tint job to the glass and its really a quality job, its just not that dark. Once you have all your other windows tinted, it actually looks as if you have your windshield tinted too, because everything looks dark inside.
The dealer probably wants to charge you a lot to tint your windows, but you can go to any pro shop and have it done, just make sure they use good products and have a good reputation, and the tint should last. The price range you should be looking at is between 110 and 150, but make sure you tell them you want the rear window done too, some places try to tack that on as additional cost!
Old 01-21-2001, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Avatar
Does anyone know the tint laws? I heard that you can't legally tint your windshield, but it seems the car would look wierd with tint everywhere but the windshield. I was thinking of getting a really mild tint, like 15% or so. Is it worth letting the dealer do it or can you get it done elsewhere as good or better? Anyone have a problem with the tint getting messed up from excessive temp in the summer or cleaning it on the inside?
15% is not mild.. 15% is pretty dark. That means it only lets 15% of the light thru or somthing like that. I have 35% on my front windows and 5% on my rears.
Old 01-21-2001, 04:20 PM

Ohh, i thought the % was the ammount it blocked. In that case i'd want 80% tint. I just want to give the windows a slight tint so it looks like they have body.

Old 01-21-2001, 04:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tint experience

Your local shop will tell what is legal in your area. I used Mr.Tint in northern CA. One thing to watch is that for the rear window they wanted to place a black tape across the defroster because apparently that section cannot be tinted. I did not want the tape b/c the upper rear visibility would be decreased and the spoiler already does that at the bottom end. Instead he just applied the tint film up to the junction of the defroster. The dark color of the defroster blended in well with the film. Even the guy that was applying it agreed later on that it look fine without the black tape application. I don't remember what % the film was, but it is not too dark.
RP
Old 01-21-2001, 06:11 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I just got mine tinted yesterday with a metalized 20, whatever that means. I was shown a 50/50 tint(???) for the front windshield. He showed me his truck and it was barely noticeable up very close. Anyways, he claimed it made a great improvement on how hot the truck gets in the summer and how it saves your dash. He also claimed once you see the difference it makes, you'll get it on all your cars. So there is a front windshield tint available but its NOT legal, at least in Arizona where it's pretty easy to have illegal anything.

I had everything done the same darkness, because I didn't like the darkness variation between the front and rear door. I also chose to go limo tint accross the windshield to blend in with the factory tint stripe. Otherwise, you could see the 1-1.5" separation betweent the factory tint stripe and the new tint.
Old 01-22-2001, 02:18 PM

If you are from CA the tint laws are very strict and there is no way you will be getting your windshield tinted. On my car I have limo (5%) on all the windows except the windshield. On the windshield, I have 35%. The lightest tint I've ever seen is this 49% stuff, you can't see it at all really, but it cuts down significantly on the heat in your car. Think of it this way, you are getting your car tinted, and you are leaving one of the biggest windows completely exposed. But,the law is the law, and CA is very strict on it. I have had friends get a razor blade taken to their tint by the friendly officer. Good luck. Don't mind the damage, but this is a pretty good picture to let you see what 35% on the windshield looks like with all other windows Limo.

[Edited by xtantmaxima on 01-22-2001 at 04:45 PM]