5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Extended Cranking, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 06:18 PM

Extended Cranking, need help

Hey Org..
About a week a go, I made a pit stop at a gas station. I got out, grabbed something to drink and came back to my max. When I turned the key, the car cranked, cranked, cranked and continued to crank but it wouldn't start. I thought, maybe I let go of the key prematurely causing the engine to flood. I waited a minute or so and tried again... nope.. same thing... after about ten minutes of trying, it finally started again and it was like nothing had happened... However, ever since that incident, I've noticed that my Max cranks longer then it used to in order for it to start up. As far as I can tell, everything is fine, maintenance is upto date, only 17000 miles.. I thought it was an isolated incident but it did it again tonight. I'm starting to worry now and if I had to guess it almost seems like it's trying to start but it's not getting any fuel. Any suggestions? has anyone else had this happen to them? I appreciate any help. I haven't had it for a full year just yet so wouldn't it be covered pretty much bumper to bumper?

Thanks.
Meth
Old 05-05-2003, 07:39 PM

Anyone?

Can anyone help?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:47 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Extended Cranking, need help

Originally posted by DARKMETH
Hey Org..
About a week a go, I made a pit stop at a gas station. I got out, grabbed something to drink and came back to my max. When I turned the key, the car cranked, cranked, cranked and continued to crank but it wouldn't start. I thought, maybe I let go of the key prematurely causing the engine to flood. I waited a minute or so and tried again... nope.. same thing... after about ten minutes of trying, it finally started again and it was like nothing had happened... However, ever since that incident, I've noticed that my Max cranks longer then it used to in order for it to start up. As far as I can tell, everything is fine, maintenance is upto date, only 17000 miles.. I thought it was an isolated incident but it did it again tonight. I'm starting to worry now and if I had to guess it almost seems like it's trying to start but it's not getting any fuel. Any suggestions? has anyone else had this happen to them? I appreciate any help. I haven't had it for a full year just yet so wouldn't it be covered pretty much bumper to bumper?

Thanks.
Meth
my 2k1 used to do this fairly often. it only occured after i would start it up in the morning then drive a short period, shut it off then try to crank it. it would do it two or three times and would finally catch. i took it to the dealer and they couldnt duplicate it of course but i talked to a few people on here and they said theirs did it sometimes and that most likely it was running rich, too much fuel. i dont know any if mods leaned it out but it almost never happens anymore. i would take it to the dealer and let them take it over night and crank it in the morning. let them drive it, shut it off and see if they duplicate to see if they can figure it out.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:51 PM

hmmmm...

Interesting... not really sure what to think but if it helps, I have noticed that recently it's been nocking which I don't understand since I only use exxon 93 octane? so shouldn't it be running top notch vs nocking? it doesn't do it often but if I step on the throttle lightly, I can hear it nock a bit.. but I thought it only does that when you use the lower grade gas?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Knocking? Hmm...take it to the dealer and see what they say. This is a hard one to diagnose. The starting trouble has happened off and on to a few of the org members like myself. I heard the same as what sloppymax said, it tends to be too rich to start. As far as the knocking it might be bad ignition coils. This has been a problem on 2k, 2k1, and some 2k2's. See if the dealer is willing to replace them under warranty. Check the TSB thread at the top for possible TSB's that apply here.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:24 PM

This same thing has happened to me a few times. Crank, Crank, Crank...nothing happens. I called the dealer the first time it happened. They told me that the engine got flooded. their remedy was to hold down the gas all the way and turn the key at the same time. after a few cranks the car starts right up. just remember to take your foot off the gas before it hits the red line. whenever this happens again i do the same thing and the car starts up. hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:18 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by bad2rock
This same thing has happened to me a few times. Crank, Crank, Crank...nothing happens. I called the dealer the first time it happened. They told me that the engine got flooded. their remedy was to hold down the gas all the way and turn the key at the same time. after a few cranks the car starts right up. just remember to take your foot off the gas before it hits the red line. whenever this happens again i do the same thing and the car starts up. hope this helps.
ive never heard of a fuel injected motor getting flooded. i was pretty sure that was only an issue with carburation.