5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exposed air bag sensor and driving.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:34 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Exposed air bag sensor and driving.....

okay heres the deal boys n girls. i sent my rear and front bumper to get painted. the guy wants to mount them himself, so that he can be sure that i dont' f*ck up and to be sure he didn't f*ck up in painting it (cracks, etc...)
so now, right now my car is very very exposed (look at sig picture). in the middle of all that mess i have an airbag sensor. a rock hits that and BAM, i'm in airbag heaven. he told me to remove the airbag fuse (does one exist) and then just drive it to him. i was gonna do this sat. morning. you think this is doable. does anyone else have suggestions on how i should transport the car to his shop. thanx
Old 05-07-2003, 07:47 PM

Re: Exposed air bag sensor and driving.....

I'd tell the guy to f off and tell him that i'd do it my self. You could make something out of metal flashing and cover it. Can you disconnect the switch??? That might trigger the sensor though.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:02 PM

Body work

Tell him to come over to your place and do the install if you dont feel comfortable driving it. They should be willing to work with you.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:21 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Re: Re: Exposed air bag sensor and driving.....

Originally posted by Maxman2000
I'd tell the guy to f off and tell him that i'd do it my self. You could make something out of metal flashing and cover it. Can you disconnect the switch??? That might trigger the sensor though.
well this is the thing. i dont' think removing the fuse would mess anything up, cuase that's just like disconnecting the battery. but again, this is just my assumption.

having him come here isn't an option. we're avoiding moving the bumeprs cause they're still in the curing process. the stillen valence was molded onto the bumper so it looks like one piece =) but it takes a couple days MOUNTED for it to settle in.

i guess i could disconnect the fuse. we'll see. if anyone has any other ideas, or warnings, let me know.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:43 PM

Re: Exposed air bag sensor and driving.....

Originally posted by PoLo
okay heres the deal boys n girls. i sent my rear and front bumper to get painted. the guy wants to mount them himself, so that he can be sure that i dont' f*ck up and to be sure he didn't f*ck up in painting it (cracks, etc...)
so now, right now my car is very very exposed (look at sig picture). in the middle of all that mess i have an airbag sensor. a rock hits that and BAM, i'm in airbag heaven. he told me to remove the airbag fuse (does one exist) and then just drive it to him. i was gonna do this sat. morning. you think this is doable. does anyone else have suggestions on how i should transport the car to his shop. thanx

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think the sensor has to detect some SERIOUS deceleration to trigger the bag. Like hitting another object (car, pole). I don't think a pebble will do it. Stranger things have happened though.

I would drive it.

ARFF
Old 05-07-2003, 08:55 PM

Re: Re: Exposed air bag sensor and driving.....

Originally posted by saxdogg

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think the sensor has to detect some SERIOUS deceleration to trigger the bag. Like hitting another object (car, pole). I don't think a pebble will do it. Stranger things have happened though.

I would drive it.

ARFF
Yeah but if a little grain of sand can put a crack in your windshirl like it did for me... I think it'll trigger the sensore.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:33 PM

Funny...I was talkin about this yesterday...

Apparently, on many cars, the airbag fuse is tied through other things, like ignition and whatnot, so if you disconnect your car, the car may or may not start. I was also told that on many cars it is a wire fuse, not a bus fuse, which means if u cut it at the wrong time in the wrong fashion, BOOM goes the bags.

One thing to think about is the force on that sensor has to be over 25mph force of somethin hitting the bumper, because the airbag does not deploy unless you are involved in an accident over 25mph.

Just some things to think about, personally, I think you're f**ked any way you look at it.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:38 PM

normally, (i don't know for sure on nissan's) there are multiple systems running off one fuse. such as, air bags might be hooked up to ignition, abs might be hooked up to starter, etc. that way the consumer CAN NOT drive without important safety features disabled. i know on some gm cars the airbags go through the lights. no airbags, no lights. something to consider when doing something like that
Old 05-08-2003, 06:50 AM

PULL THE FUSE. If there is something else on the circuit, can you live without it till you get it to the shop? I used to be an audio installer, and I wouldn't touch a car with airbags till they did not have power.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:09 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by t56gen3
PULL THE FUSE. If there is something else on the circuit, can you live without it till you get it to the shop? I used to be an audio installer, and I wouldn't touch a car with airbags till they did not have power.
i'm goin at like 9am, putting them on, and that's it...i could care less what else gets disconnected in the process. it's very reassuring that nothing would happen disconnecting the airbags...thanx a lot.