5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bose Sub Replaced with sealed enclosure...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 10:59 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Bose Sub Replaced with sealed enclosure...

I replaced the bose sub this weekend. I wanted to keep it as stock as possible. I didnt want freeair and I didnt want to fire thru the trunk. I know Suds1 had this done a few months ago. I thought I'd try to tackle it myself.

Does it hit better? It does.. You can feel it in the floorboards.. While my deck doesnt rattle as much, I now found all kinds of new ones in the front of the car with this. I know, just an 8", but I guess its placement.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:00 PM

Old 05-11-2003, 11:00 PM

yeah, I havent moved the old bose connector and zipped up the wire yet

Old 05-11-2003, 11:05 PM

box is 15 x 9 x 5.5
with .5 MDF, its not that heavy. You have to make that baffle on top of the box for mounting. you'll understand if you try to mount something flat underneat the rear deck.

It clears the trunk tensioners and all.. The screws holding it up are 1" metal to wood screws.. they have rubber/metal washers and wont rattle. I doubt that box is going anywhere!
Old 05-11-2003, 11:08 PM
lcf

Old 05-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nicely done.... is it all home-made, or did you pay someone to do it for you? If you want less rattle, you should put some dynamat on your car.

~limsandy
Old 05-12-2003, 05:49 AM
swallac2

This is exactly what I want to do!! Simple, tasteful and you can still use the trunk. Do you have drawings, or did you just hammer it out from the numbers above? I'm also assuming those numbers are external dimensions?

Old 05-12-2003, 06:10 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

does look good, but just curious, why not just use the basslink? its small and hits hard!

Old 05-12-2003, 06:37 AM
swallac2

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
does look good, but just curious, why not just use the basslink? its small and hits hard!
For me, I want a clean install and would rather maintain a more stock approach. Plus I already have an Amp, so all I need is an 8 inch sub and to make a box (<$100).

Tim, did you port your box? If not, is there a specific reason, good or bad?

Old 05-12-2003, 06:40 AM
NT2SHBBY

care to do a write up on this for us?

Old 05-12-2003, 07:25 PM

I didnt want to have alot of booming bass you can hear outside the car. Dropping a sub in the trunk does that. With this sub on the deck, I get alot of low bass at low volume at low power, yet alot tighter than the bose. Plus, the stock aspect was important.

The box is sealed and has .27 airspace. I purposely avoided the huge RF HE subs because of weight. The box bolts right up to the bose spot, I could remove it in about 10 mins. should I choose to trade on a whim

Again, the box is 15 x 9 x 5.5 with .5 MDF, very easy to cut and build. Use the metal bose bracket as a template for the mounting baffle, and use it to center the speaker in the correct spot. I built a card mockup first. took an extra 5 mins, that helped me make sure it would fit *AND* clear the tensioners.

btw, right click save
http://www.adpub.com/tim/max/bose/bump.avi
try that with your bose
Old 05-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Moderator GT-R

Truly a thing of beauty. Can you elaborate on .27 airspace?
Has anyone ever tried somthing similar with the Bose sub? It would probably help hell out of it.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:54 PM

most 8" subs will need around .3 (can be .5 to .1 for some) cubic ft of airspace for a sealed enclosure. A ported box will take a bit more, and there is room to go perhaps to 20 inches wide and maybe deeper, but you are limited to 9 inches because of the rods for the trunk.

I've heard good things about the ID 8" sub. As well as the kicker, which will work sealed or free air.

Because this box is so small and not angled, this box is VERY easy to build. All you need is a T square to keep your edges straight. The .5 MDF is thin and you need to pre drill your screw holes so it wont bust the board. But again, super easy.. I probably still have enough wood and carpet to make another 2 or 3 :/

Again, the mounting board is where you have to take measurements and use a template. If you look at the underneath pic, on the left side, you'll see the rear deck angle down near the corner of the box. The mounting board drops the box down .5" so it clears this and mounts perfectly.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

would you be willing to make another one and sell it to me? for a 8in sub also?
Old 05-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Kal

Originally posted by TimW

Because this box is so small and not angled, this box is VERY easy to build. All you need is a T square to keep your edges straight. The .5 MDF is thin and you need to pre drill your screw holes so it wont bust the board. But again, super easy.. I probably still have enough wood and carpet to make another 2 or 3 :/

Hey Tim

Cant wait to see it. Since you said you have extra material wanna make one for me and i'll pay you? and i'll do it this way instead of the free air i talked to you about earlier.

-Kalpesh
Old 05-12-2003, 10:03 PM

oooo, I bet my neighbors would love me firing up the power tools again

Let me see exactly what I have and I'll let you guys know. I dont really have mad box building skillz :/ I just took my time. I know any of you could do as well as I did.

if you want to build one, the .5 MDF is really easy to work with. You only need the 4x4 precut sheets at Home Depot or Lowes. 4x4 is ALOT easier to get home and will set you back about $7 as I recall. its also thin enough to be cut with a jigsaw, although you need a straight edge to get a good edge. Another $6 for caulk and liquid nail...

I got the yard of automotive carpet for $7 and another $3 for the spray adhesive. I dropped another $5 on the speaker terminals. Not bad at all..

kal, are you working this weekend?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Kal

kal, are you working this weekend?

Tim im working tomorrow, and then wednesday thursday friday i am off, saturday i am working sometime after 12 and sunday im going to a picnic at mamaulle park. You got mail by the way. what did you have in mind?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:10 AM

I have a very similar project coming along right now...with a different setup...I get my 8" elemental designs sub in the mail today...I will have the project finished by this weekend, and I will show some pics at another way to set up an 8 inch in a sealed box in the bose spot
Old 05-13-2003, 09:31 AM

What type of amplification are you using to drive the sub? What model RF sub are you using? Did you also do the Polk tweet swap in front?

Thanks!
Travis
Old 05-13-2003, 09:50 AM

the amp I'm using
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

alot of control for the price.. you dont need *that* much for an 8 anyway.

sub
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

chosen for price mostly. I have a RF HE sub in the pathfinder, however it is so heavy, I worried about hanging that on the deck.

Actually, I dont know this for sure, but a solo baric may be easier to work into that spot. But the price is 2x or more.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
I have a very similar project coming along right now...with a different setup...I get my 8&quot; elemental designs sub in the mail today...I will have the project finished by this weekend, and I will show some pics at another way to set up an 8 inch in a sealed box in the bose spot
yeah? do tell...
Old 05-13-2003, 01:26 PM

yeah? do tell...

I don't want to tell too much until I actually test it...but with my setup, the box is longer than wide and the sub baffle board will be mounted on top of the deck, with the box dropping down into the hole..should make the setup real strong, and should work out, but I will know for sure by this weekend
Old 05-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I didnt want to have alot of booming bass you can hear outside the car. Dropping a sub in the trunk does that. With this sub on the deck, I get alot of low bass at low volume at low power, yet alot tighter than the bose. Plus, the stock aspect was important.
[/B]
Looks AWESOME Tim, but the BassLink is better.

J/K...wish I could hear the difference. Or better yet, maybe I'll add that too.

Better finish up a few DOZEN other projects first though.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did something very similar to this with my Premium (non-Bose) system. Circuit City built a .3 cu ft enclosure that houses a Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC RFP2408 8" subwoofer. They mounted the enclosure to the underside of the rear deck so it doesn't take up any room in the trunk. Then they cut a hole in the deck cover, dynamatted the cover, removed the child restraint supports, and recarpeted the rear deck.

I originally powered the sub with a Boss 320W amp. But I upgraded my system recently and installed Polk EX365 6.5" coax speakers in the doors. I then swapped out my Boss amp for an Alpine MRP-F320. And although I'm still running my OEM head unit, I'm satisfied with the results so far.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM

thats just it Ice, technically I am sure the Basslink is a far superior sub in every way. And I'm sure it puts out tons more deep bass than my 8.. but this puts out alot of midbass too (still playing with the crossover, set at 100 right now). I was worried that a true subwoofer in the trunk wouldnt meet the stock door speakers and leave a midbass hole. For alot of music, thats not a problem. But I really do listen to almost everything. I wanted SQ more than SPL. actually, if you already have the basslink and are lacking midbass, I would drop a kicker free air midbass. An enclosure wouldnt be as important if the all the hard work is being done with the basslink.

MaxDoogie, I see what youre saying. Luckily there is plenty of room on top for that as well.. Look forward to seeing it.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:04 PM

I hear ya Timeeh.

I'm planning on filling the mid bass with some Infinity 6.5s in the doors FIRST. If that's not enough, I'll go that route.

Honestly, the BassLink isn't all that powerful. It's PLENTY though. Nothing you can hear outside the car except the rattles. However, I'm betting once I swap the deck and can use RCA's it will get better.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Is it just me or does the speaker appear to be firing out of phase in that video? Granted, it is hard to tell from watching a video, but there is a relatively hard bass hit at :09 that appears to suck the speaker inward. Are you sure the positive and negatives are wired correctly?

I could be on crack though......the angle is weird.

Anyhow, this is definitely going to be a future mod for me. Nice work Timmeh!
Old 05-13-2003, 11:41 PM

No telling what kinda fits The Roots was giving that poor 8" there I checked the phase, its a mono amp, not much to miswire.. Using a PAC at the HU, so that should be correct as well.

I think since the sub is recessed and I'm not holding the digicam completely steady, it looks like its sucking in.. I dont believe it is. it certainly doesnt sound like it. I played with phase on the amp, its on 0, and when I tried 180 it definately killed the overall bass.

But thanks for pointing that out, I will definately feed it some low stuff in the morning and make sure its not doing that.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:28 AM
ABS

Tim,

Judging from the look of the box, it is a closed box design, not ported and not band pass. If it is a closed box, could you tell me what your Qts is? Just curious. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2003, 05:01 AM

No telling what kinda fits The Roots was giving that poor 8&quot; there I checked the phase, its a mono amp, not much to miswire.. Using a PAC at the HU, so that should be correct as well.
So are you using the Bose head unit too?
Old 05-14-2003, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I hear ya Timeeh.

I'm planning on filling the mid bass with some Infinity 6.5s in the doors FIRST. If that's not enough, I'll go that route.

Honestly, the BassLink isn't all that powerful. It's PLENTY though. Nothing you can hear outside the car except the rattles. However, I'm betting once I swap the deck and can use RCA's it will get better.
I have the basslink too and I agree.. It's OK. It has a very limited range (low-end drops off rapidly after about 40hz or so, probably due to the passive radiator design). This is what I want to see in a box under my rear deck..
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/8w7.html
I had 3 10W6s in my last max and I sold them on Ebay. Once you've had something like that you are spoiled. I'm totally into SQ though, getting too old for the SPL, plus I don't want to make my kids go deaf!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:18 AM

i have one question...so are you using the BOSE headunit? and if so how is all the wiring done because I want to put in my subs i took out of my 2002 cuz BOSE is sooooo WEAK. and it rattles for nothing. how did you wire your new amp and subs? did youjust cut the wires from the bose amp to yours and subs blah blah
Old 05-14-2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by tita6

I have the basslink too and I agree.. It's OK. It has a very limited range (low-end drops off rapidly after about 40hz or so, probably due to the passive radiator design). This is what I want to see in a box under my rear deck..
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/8w7.html
I had 3 10W6s in my last max and I sold them on Ebay. Once you've had something like that you are spoiled. I'm totally into SQ though, getting too old for the SPL, plus I don't want to make my kids go deaf!
the w7 line subs are sure nice, but that 8 inch sub is probably the most expensive 8 inch sub ever released..I just got an elemental designs e8a.44 and it looks just as good as a w7 does...man, it is pure quality and weighs in the same as a 8w7 does...at half the cost...You may want to take a look into the elemental designs subs before you drop the cash on a w7....just my .02
Old 05-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Kal

He is using the Bose headunit and connected his amp to the headunit with a PAC converter.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:06 PM

great job - just wondering......how is the stock sub mounted??? it doesnt use a box under the deck right?
Old 05-14-2003, 02:30 PM

no, its a top mounted free-air, on a top mounted metal plate (which made a great template for my mouting baffle).. the tiny magnet is on the top and the bose amp is actually in the 'basket' - not with the other amp on the deck. its a marvel of odd engineering..
Old 05-15-2003, 06:24 AM
swallac2

Has anyone thought of just putting the Bose sub in a sealed enclosure? I know it's free air, but that might make a significant different and would spare you the cost of the amp and sub.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by tita6
...plus I don't want to make my kids go deaf!
That's why I added the on/off switch, but you can pretty much mute it with the LC remote anyways.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by swallac2
Has anyone thought of just putting the Bose sub in a sealed enclosure? I know it's free air, but that might make a significant different and would spare you the cost of the amp and sub.
heh, you should look more closely at the bose sub.. its a curious little beast.. I wouldnt even try.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:16 PM
swallac2

heh, you should look more closely at the bose sub.. its a curious little beast.. I wouldnt even try.
Your right I haven't. I plan to do the "Tim Box" anyway. I was just curious.