5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Which RSB do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 01:04 PM

Which RSB do you recommend?

Could you direct me to some links on where I can purchase an RSB from? Also the question on my topic= Which RSB would you recommend.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:07 PM
jjs

Re: Which RSB do you recommend?

Originally posted by MaXBoost03_SE
Could you direct me to some links on where I can purchase an RSB from? Also the question on my topic= Which RSB would you recommend.

Thanks in advance.
How much do you want to spend? Addco around $100.00. Stillen much more.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:08 PM

I bought the Cattman-Progress RSB during the April GD for $110 shipped. Did the install and let my girlfriend borrow my cra for a week. Needless to say, she was impressed with the handling after the RSB install. The Progress RSB was a fairly easy install as I did it by myself and I'm not very comfortable doing car mods. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE PROGRESS RSB!!!
Old 05-12-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: Which RSB do you recommend?

Originally posted by jjs

How much do you want to spend? Addco around $100.00. Stillen much more.
is stillen that much better that it can justify the price difference between the two?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:20 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Which RSB do you recommend?

Originally posted by skandalouz

is stillen that much better that it can justify the price difference between the two?
I don't have either but I would say the Stillen is overpriced for what it does, even if it is 'more adjustable', etc.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by VMosser323
I bought the Cattman-Progress RSB during the April GD for $110 shipped. Did the install and let my girlfriend borrow my cra for a week. Needless to say, she was impressed with the handling after the RSB install. The Progress RSB was a fairly easy install as I did it by myself and I'm not very comfortable doing car mods. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE PROGRESS RSB!!!
Where can i buy this rsb?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Cattman-Progress RSB uses bushings and can end up rubbing up against the bottom of the car.

The Stillen is more because it IS adjustable and it IS a 'better' design, even if they both have the same effect for performance (or so I would think). I know the Stillen does not have any noise side effects.

-R
Old 05-12-2003, 03:34 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by MaXBoost03_SE

Where can i buy this rsb?
cattman rsb at www.cattman.com

stillen rsb at www.southwestautoworks.com
Old 05-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Larrio

cattman rsb at www.cattman.com

stillen rsb at www.southwestautoworks.com
My recommendation for the Addco RSB which can be gotten from www.cattman.com as well. Before I bought it, I did a lot of reading to see if the stillen one was justified and found it was not. The addco is very high quality and though not adjustable but very stable. Trust me.. once you put the addco rsb.. the only adjustments you will make are called lane changes.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:09 PM
I miss the .org!

I've got the Addco RSB. The Progress one is the same bar, but has slightly better bracket design, and it's damn cheap too...
Old 05-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Faster than a speeding bullet...

Re: Which RSB do you recommend?

I got the Cattman/Progress RSB for $110.00 shipped. Installation was relatively simple, although I had to put a bit more muscle doing one side than the other, but it was fine.

Once you tighten the RSB up good, you will notice the difference in handling. I took the car out for a spin one night at around 1AM in the quiet streets of Vegas and it was a blast. The car took 30MPH corners with no problems at all.

I almost have to 'relearn' agressive cornering because the FSTB and RSB combo effect is so dramatically different from what it was originally.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:33 PM

Did you guys notice a significant deterioration in ride quality after installing your RSB?

I can only imagine the benefit that one of these would have on the Maxima's handling, particularly during a quick transitions which tends to upset the balance of the car with stock suspension.

What about oversteer? I know that a RSB can cause the car to exhibit some lift throttle oversteer characteristics, which is OK if you are trying to bring the back end around, but not if it is unexpected. Has anyone had a problem with oversteer in moderately aggressive driving?
Old 05-12-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Evan

What about oversteer? I know that a RSB can cause the car to exhibit some lift throttle oversteer characteristics, which is OK if you are trying to bring the back end around, but not if it is unexpected. Has anyone had a problem with oversteer in moderately aggressive driving?
No. With my setup (RSB and FSTB) the car still understeers slightly (according to some semi-enthusiastic testing in the rain). On a fast highway ramp the other day it tracked all the way through at about 80 mph - then when I had to let off slightly toward the end the front end tucked in nicely. Sweet.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Evan
Did you guys notice a significant deterioration in ride quality after installing your RSB?

I can only imagine the benefit that one of these would have on the Maxima's handling, particularly during a quick transitions which tends to upset the balance of the car with stock suspension.

I haven't noticed a deterioration in ride quality at all. Everything pretty much feels as it always has.

As for oversteer, yes, I experience it. I really felt it after tightening up the RSB as much as I could a few weeks after the initial install. That's why in my previous post I mentioned that I almost have to 'relearn' how to agressively corner.

When the car oversteers, the rear-end does a slight, but sudden swing out. So when I'm powering through the corner, the car moves toward the inside much more unexpectedly, and I find myself having to jerk the car back the other way to compensate. Again, that's something I have to learn better to make it smoother.

But I usually don't do agressive corners, so I don't think much about it. For anything other than hard cornering, I don't feel the oversteer effect.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Despite Max, women still avoid him

I just ordered the Progress RSB from cattman. Hopefully, I won't notice any "rubbing underneath" as someone mentioned here earlier.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:36 PM

I don't have the rubbing problem at all, so I guess I installed it just right. It doesn't happen to everyone, and there is an easy workaround, so don't worry.

The Cattman/Progress RSB is a great value!
Old 05-13-2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut

My recommendation for the Addco RSB which can be gotten from www.cattman.com as well. Before I bought it, I did a lot of reading to see if the stillen one was justified and found it was not. The addco is very high quality and though not adjustable but very stable. Trust me.. once you put the addco rsb.. the only adjustments you will make are called lane changes.

The RSB that Brian sells now is the Progress RSB. He stopped selling the Addeco because of the constant problems he was encountering with them. He would be constantly chasing Addeco for parts that were missing from the kits. There is no difference in the way the RSB works.
I got the Progress RSB. Hopefully, I get some time soon to install it.