5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car WAS shaking and missing out

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Car WAS shaking and missing out

Ok. Last night the car was driving fine. No problems and I let it idle for a sec before I shut it off. Well this morning I started it and the car was shaking and sounded like it was missin. Well I didnt get an SES light but I got a ride to school. Came back after lunch, and the car still had the same symptoms. But now an SES light came on. I drove the car around the block and it missed out the whole time. No power or anything. Well I took her home and looked on the net for the nearest AutoZone. When I went back out to head there the car started up fine and ran fine. I drove there and there was no missing and no power loss. At AutoZOne the SES light was still on so I wanted to pull the code and see what it was. Well they plugged the ODB-II scanner up and it read that there was no problems. THe tech guy and I were kinda of stunned. He had seen the SES light was on when I had the car running. WE tried it a few times and still no codes. I just asked him to reset it and the Light hasn't come back on, after driving some time. ANyone have any ideas? Water in the Gas maybe? That's my theory. It just scared the hell out of me cause my honda sounded and acted the exact same when I blew the head gasket on that car.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Re: Car WAS shaking and missing out

Originally posted by Fezzik
Ok. Last night the car was driving fine. No problems and I let it idle for a sec before I shut it off. Well this morning I started it and the car was shaking and sounded like it was missin. Well I didnt get an SES light but I got a ride to school. Came back after lunch, and the car still had the same symptoms. But now an SES light came on. I drove the car around the block and it missed out the whole time. No power or anything. Well I took her home and looked on the net for the nearest AutoZone. When I went back out to head there the car started up fine and ran fine. I drove there and there was no missing and no power loss. At AutoZOne the SES light was still on so I wanted to pull the code and see what it was. Well they plugged the ODB-II scanner up and it read that there was no problems. THe tech guy and I were kinda of stunned. He had seen the SES light was on when I had the car running. WE tried it a few times and still no codes. I just asked him to reset it and the Light hasn't come back on, after driving some time. ANyone have any ideas? Water in the Gas maybe? That's my theory. It just scared the hell out of me cause my honda sounded and acted the exact same when I blew the head gasket on that car.
I was tempted to say that your coils were bad but if there were no codes and the car went back to normal then I would tend to agree with you on the "bad gas" theory. Just be aware that the bad coils symptom is very similar so be on the lookout.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:49 PM

This just happened to me, I got gas at a cheap place because I followed my GF to the gas station (Pride in Chicopee,MA).

I drove home that night, everything was fine (2.5HR drive).

However, I started her up the next day and she shook really bad. I drove her around the block, and just the SES light was on. I didn't think much of it, drove her to the mall real quick because I had to do errands, the light was still on.

I went to Autozone today and results came back that it was the Ignition Coils..
Old 05-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Autozone coudlnt pull any codes, but the SES light was on. But after the resest it hasnt come back on. It drives like it used to and I pushed her too a bit, and she's doin good. I am still at the conclusion that it was water. If ur getting a code that its a bad coil then it really may be, and may need to call Dave B up.

Originally posted by existx
This just happened to me, I got gas at a cheap place because I followed my GF to the gas station (Pride in Chicopee,MA).

I drove home that night, everything was fine (2.5HR drive).

However, I started her up the next day and she shook really bad. I drove her around the block, and just the SES light was on. I didn't think much of it, drove her to the mall real quick because I had to do errands, the light was still on.

I went to Autozone today and results came back that it was the Ignition Coils..