5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Yet another tint thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 02:13 PM
BiggD23

Yet another tint thread

I'm going to get the tint done Saturday.

$190 - whole car w/o sunroof
$220 - whole car w/sunroof

Both prices include a lifetime warranty. What do you guys think?

The tint laws here in PA say that anything darker than 75% is illegal . I've gotta go darker than that, either with 35% or 20%. Does anyone drive with 20% all around in the PA/NJ area and not get bothered?

And the sunroof, I was thinking about putting either 20% or limo on it but I'd still like to get some sun through it during the day. Does anyone have limo on theirs? Does it let any light through or should I go with 20%?

Thanks for any input.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:18 PM

I would go with the limo on the sunroof. With the sun beating down on you directly I think the darker the better. And if the sun isn't out and you think it's too dark you can always open it......
Old 05-14-2003, 06:28 PM

those prices sound good thats what i paid for mine 220 w/o sunroof cause i don't have one i went with 35% but i don't live in your area
Old 05-14-2003, 09:34 PM

$190 sounds about right.

I'm in PA and had 20% on 2 cars for about a year and a half. Never had problems with cops. PA laws don't really specify which % tint is legal but I think it only says that as long as the officer can see your profile from the side, it's ok. Given that, 20% is the darkest you could probably go w/o getting into trouble. I've got 5% now on the max and just got pulled over for it in a small town. If you don't wanna deal w/that just get 20%, no officer is gonna give you probs. w/that (at least from my experience).
Old 05-14-2003, 10:56 PM
tEh Hope

Originally posted by digimax
I would go with the limo on the sunroof. With the sun beating down on you directly I think the darker the better. And if the sun isn't out and you think it's too dark you can always open it......
I don't understand why people would want a tint on their sunroof... light tint is fine but a thick limo tint on a sunroof? If you don't want sun to bother you from top, just close the sunroof lid, you know the one you manually pull...
Old 05-14-2003, 10:59 PM
tEh Hope

Originally posted by Maxxxed

I don't understand why people would want a tint on their sunroof... light tint is fine but a thick limo tint on a sunroof? If you don't want sun to bother you from top, just close the sunroof lid, you know the one you manually pull...
PS: I found this website that has state tinting limits... I am not sure how up-to-date that information is...
Old 05-14-2003, 11:03 PM

Re: Yet another tint thread

Originally posted by BiggD23
I'm going to get the tint done Saturday.

$190 - whole car w/o sunroof
$220 - whole car w/sunroof

Both prices include a lifetime warranty. What do you guys think?

The tint laws here in PA say that anything darker than 75% is illegal . I've gotta go darker than that, either with 35% or 20%. Does anyone drive with 20% all around in the PA/NJ area and not get bothered?

And the sunroof, I was thinking about putting either 20% or limo on it but I'd still like to get some sun through it during the day. Does anyone have limo on theirs? Does it let any light through or should I go with 20%?

Thanks for any input.

i've got 20% all around and the only time anyone's said anything about it is when i've gotten pulled over for other stuff.. usually you shouldn't be bothered for the tint alone
Old 05-15-2003, 05:28 AM

Wow window tinting is expensive where you guys live! And i thought i got charged alot. $120 for all windows including Windshield, Lifetime warranty. 35% on windshield / 20% on all others
Old 05-15-2003, 07:09 AM
BiggD23

Originally posted by MaXBoost03_SE
Wow window tinting is expensive where you guys live! And i thought i got charged alot. $120 for all windows including Windshield, Lifetime warranty. 35% on windshield / 20% on all others

You actually got tint on your front windshield?

Old 05-15-2003, 07:10 AM
NT2SHBBY

BiggD are you getting metallized reflective or just smoke tint?

Old 05-15-2003, 07:18 AM
BiggD23

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
BiggD are you getting metallized reflective or just smoke tint?
Honestly, we didn't even talk about that. The guy was busy doing a car when I got there and they didn't have anyone else there at the time, so he was kinda talking to me and working at the same time. I asked how much for the car and he said $190, then we set it up for Saturday and I left. I didn't even think to ask him what brand tint they use. What's the best brand...Lumar or something like that? The place that's doing it has had a great reputation for years so I know they'll do a good job.

My car is white, what do you think I should get? I'm leaning towards just regular smoke tint because the reflective stuff seems to attract more attention from 5-0, especially if I got 20%.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:21 AM
NT2SHBBY

Honestly, we didn't even talk about that. The guy was busy doing a car when I got there and they didn't have anyone else there at the time, so he was kinda talking to me and working at the same time. I asked how much for the car and he said $190, then we set it up for Saturday and I left. I didn't even think to ask him what brand tint they use. What's the best brand...Lumar or something like that? The place that's doing it has had a great reputation for years so I know they'll do a good job.

My car is white, what do you think I should get? I'm leaning towards just regular smoke tint because the reflective stuff seems to attract more attention from 5-0, especially if I got 20%.
if the pigs aren't total ****** around PA, go for reflective..it'll look hot....

if the pigs are out for tint tickets, try to get a metallized smoke like I have (Madico Onyx is the brand and model)....plain smoke tint will fade without a doubt

Old 05-15-2003, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Yet another tint thread

Thanks for any input.
I have 18% Solar Gard HP Charcoal, and it's great. I rarely close the panel now, because even with direct sunlight it just brightens up the car - doesn't heat it up or feel hot on my face. As far as vision goes, all it does is darkens colors a little, you can still see through it just fine.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:07 PM
BiggD23

Anyone have some pics of their car with 35% all around? I'm trying to get a feel for what it might look like.

Old 05-15-2003, 12:10 PM

You actually got tint on your front windshield?
Yes sir, Check out my pics on my hompage..
Old 05-15-2003, 12:46 PM

http://photos.yahoo.com/serspecv2002 click on new max
Old 05-15-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by MaximaSe2002
What % do you have on the front windows?
Old 05-15-2003, 01:00 PM
BiggD23

Yes sir, Check out my pics on my hompage..
Wow, that looks awesome MaXBoost03_SE. In PA there is no tint whatsoever allowed on the front windshield so I'd be asking for trouble if I tinted mine. It looks really good though. Plus I don't seem to have the best luck with rocks and windshields.

MaximaSe2002...is that 35% on the back windows?

Old 05-15-2003, 01:03 PM
NT2SHBBY

thats like barely any tint bro...

Old 05-15-2003, 01:10 PM

Wow, that looks awesome MaXBoost03_SE. In PA there is no tint whatsoever allowed on the front windshield so I'd be asking for trouble if I tinted mine. It looks really good though. Plus I don't seem to have the best luck with rocks and windshields.

MaximaSe2002...is that 35% on the back windows?
Thanks man, Yea the front windshield tint is illegal down here too. But usually cops dont bother unless you do something stupid.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:11 PM
BiggD23

thats like barely any tint bro...

I know...if that's 35% I think I'm gonna have to go with 20% and take my chances.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:11 PM
NT2SHBBY

I know...if that's 35% I think I'm gonna have to go with 20% and take my chances.
go 20% BiggD...I got it and I would never go lighter!

Old 05-15-2003, 01:15 PM

go 20% BiggD...I got it and I would never go lighter!

You won't regret it.. This weekend I plan on taking off my tints and throwing in 5%. (cause im crazy and i love privacy). Trust Us go with atleast 20%, just dont drive crazy or do anything that will catch a cops attention.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:25 PM
BiggD23

Trust Us go with atleast 20%, just dont drive crazy or do anything that will catch a cops attention.

Who me?

I think I will go with 20%. Thanks guys.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:29 PM

Who me?

Sweet.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:30 PM
NT2SHBBY

Who me?

no prob...post pix once its all said and done!!!! also..remember..reflective is key!!! make sure the tint is metallized.. you don't have to go full chrome either to be metallized

Old 05-16-2003, 01:18 PM

its 35% all around the way the light is hitting it makes it look like the front is lighter but in person it looks better i went this way cause i didn't want my ***** busted. but what are you gonna do i like it
Old 05-16-2003, 01:22 PM

its 35% all around the way the light is hitting it makes it look like the front is lighter but in person it looks better i went this way cause i didn't want my ***** busted. but what are you gonna do i like it
Thats what counts dude, That you like it.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:13 AM
BiggD23

Well, I got the tint done this weekend. When I got there the owner was smoking a cigarrette out front and we stood around and BSed for a bit while they finished up the car ahead of me. We got to talking about what kind of tint I wanted and I told him 20% Platinum and he laughed at me. He said he would do it, but he is always putting 20% on for people only to have them come back in a matter of weeks or months to have it removed because it's too dark and they're getting pulled over. I guess it's just the area I live in...suburbs of Philly. So I ended up going with 35% Platinum tint all around. It's 100% metallic and really sets off the white pearl paint. It's not quite as dark as I would have liked, but from a short distance it gives a mirrored look and you can't really see in. Hopefully this is light enough that I won't get hassled. I'll post some pics once the hazing in the tint goes away in a week or so. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:23 AM
NT2SHBBY

Well, I got the tint done this weekend. When I got there the owner was smoking a cigarrette out front and we stood around and BSed for a bit while they finished up the car ahead of me. We got to talking about what kind of tint I wanted and I told him 20% Platinum and he laughed at me. He said he would do it, but he is always putting 20% on for people only to have them come back in a matter of weeks or months to have it removed because it's too dark and they're getting pulled over. I guess it's just the area I live in...suburbs of Philly. So I ended up going with 35% Platinum tint all around. It's 100% metallic and really sets off the white pearl paint. It's not quite as dark as I would have liked, but from a short distance it gives a mirrored look and you can't really see in. Hopefully this is light enough that I won't get hassled. I'll post some pics once the hazing in the tint goes away in a week or so. Thanks for the help everyone.
should look hot..only prob is, I guess I shoulda mentioned, the titanium/platinum/whatever u wanna call it virtually disappears come nightfall....shoulda got the 20%....all good though

I was in your shoes a couple years back, tinter told me he'd do 20% but I'd be back in a week....I said *** it, just do it...I never came back and never got a ticket...

IMO 35% is like not doing any tint, it barely shows, especially on sunny days...20% or darker is the only way to go, IMO

Old 05-19-2003, 07:42 AM
BiggD23

IMO 35% is like not doing any tint, it barely shows, especially on sunny days...20% or darker is the only way to go, IMO
Yeah I hear you. Thing is...I have a friend who just got pulled over literally 30 seconds from my house in his Nissan 200sx with 20% tint. He got a $95 ticket and the cop told him he better take the tint off because he would be watching for him. That's the type of BS that I can't be dealing with. And the Platinum is nice because it kinda gives a smokey mirrored look...so it looks a little darker and more reflective than regular 35% tint. Who knows...maybe in a couple years I'll get brave and re-do it with 20%.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:45 AM
NT2SHBBY

Yeah I hear you. Thing is...I have a friend who just got pulled over literally 30 seconds from my house in his Nissan 200sx with 20% tint. He got a $95 ticket and the cop told him he better take the tint off because he would be watching for him. That's the type of BS that I can't be dealing with. And the Platinum is nice because it kinda gives a smokey mirrored look...so it looks a little darker and more reflective than regular 35% tint. Who knows...maybe in a couple years I'll get brave and re-do it with 20%.
dude..wait a month, if u don't like it, throw on a second layer of 35%....it'll darken it and u dont have to worry bout removing it...

you can go 2 layers and not worry bout rolling down the window, etc...