5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I want to keep stock muffler - how do you redo it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:44 AM

I want to keep stock muffler - how do you redo it?

I am having a WP SS y installed on Weds. My local muffler guy will also do the b section, but he wants to put on a cheap, loud Raven. After reading many threads I think I will keep my stock muffler. What are people doing to open up the intake to the stock mufflers? Can anyone give me directions or an idea of what to tell my muffler guy? Also, it I remove my resonator will my car sound loud? I don't want it real loud.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:33 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: I want to keep stock muffler - how do you redo it?

Originally posted by mattd
I am having a WP SS y installed on Weds. My local muffler guy will also do the b section, but he wants to put on a cheap, loud Raven. After reading many threads I think I will keep my stock muffler. What are people doing to open up the intake to the stock mufflers? Can anyone give me directions or an idea of what to tell my muffler guy? Also, it I remove my resonator will my car sound loud? I don't want it real loud.
you really should not have to tell him much but to install the y pipe and bend a custom b pipe that fits to the stock muffler. you can remove the resonator and it wont affect sound that much as long as you keep the stock muffler. the minute you change to a freer flowing muffler with a y and b pipe you will become deaf without a resonator. i went without one to see if i liked the change in noise because a resonator can always be added.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I want to keep stock muffler - how do you redo it?

I think for the most part folks who do decide that they don't want a lot of noise with the Y pipe are keeping thier resonators installed

I replaced the resonator with the b pipe and kept the stock muffler so all my sound is from the engine with my intake setup NOT from the rear of the car...with the resonator removed from beneath the car the sound from the muffler is a low grumble which you dont even hear anymore once i press on the gas.

(my muffler guy only charged me $25 to do the resonator/b pipe switch)

the b section that the local muffler guy is referring to replaces the resonator...

you could tell him to just put on the y pipe and then drive around with the resonator and stock muffler to see what kind of sound you have. if its too quiet for you then you could:

then go back and remove the resonator and replace with the b pipe (and still have the stock muffler installed)

exhaust setups are a bit of trial and error....what works for one person may not necessarily be great for you...you just have to drive around with it to see if you like the sound

so do the y pipe FIRST and ONLY then proceed to the resonator removal (cause its easier to take off than to put back on if he cuts the pipe inlets/outlets too short

good luck and happy modding

nette
Old 05-19-2003, 07:03 AM

Thanks guys - great info. I will start slow - one unit at a time.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks guys - great info. I will start slow - one unit at a time.
here are some pics of what was done

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=209187&page=3
Old 05-19-2003, 07:12 AM

Thanks!