5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Moonroof visor or ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 09:05 AM

Moonroof visor or ....

This could be the most critical discussion we may ever have.....

Does a 5th Gen. look better with a moonroof visor or without??

Recommendations please.....
Old 05-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What's a moonroof visor? Do you mean the wind deflector? If you mean the wind deflector for it then the answer is no. I bought my 2k3 without it but i added it for it's functionality. It doesn't look bad with it, but definitely not better.
I have the frost interior and i know that the roof (on the inside) would get dirty due to the amount of wind coming in the car. Now that i added it, i don't have any wind coming in the car. Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:14 AM

Something to remember when using a wind deflector for the sunroof... the design is faulty in that it ends up leaving marks (scratches) in the roof of your Max right around where it rests. It attaches with two clips that wrap around the retainers and then the wind deflector screws down into the clips.

I have seen both the damage from the wind deflector and from the screws in Speedy6's Max. When I removed my deflector (after only 3500 miles new), I noticed very slight marks in the roof where the deflector rested.

Something to keep in mind.

-R
Old 05-20-2003, 09:22 AM
BiggD23

IMO...there are several reasons NOT to put one of these on your car...

1) The car looks sleeker and better without it

2) It doesn't cut down on wind noise that much. Maybe a little bit, but it's not like you can't have a conversation or listen to the radio without it. The sunroof itself has a small visor that raises up to help with noise.

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY....the visor scratches the **** out of the roof. It vibrates and wiggles and once a little dirt and debris get under there forget about it. In a matter of months you will have scratches all along where the lip meets the roof. They aren't visible while it's on the car, but you won't be able to take it off down the line once this happens without repainting the roof. Don't believe me? When the search feature comes back up do some searches and you'll see plenty of members all saying the same thing.

My 2k3 SE came with a wind deflector and I took it off after 2 days on the advice of many many ORG members who all said they wished they had taken theirs off before the damage was done. That being said, if you still want one I have 2 for sale cheap...1 that came off my 2k3 after 2 days and 1 in original unopened packaging. (This one was bought for my 2k, but didn't arrive until after I had traded it in for my 2k3.)

Old 05-20-2003, 09:24 AM

If you really need one, and can live without the OEM version, order an aftermarket one from AutoZone... or JC Whitney... they run about $30 and come with 3M tape... I had one on my Intrepid and never had a problem with it.

-R
Old 05-20-2003, 09:27 AM
jjs

Re: Moonroof visor or ....

Originally posted by golzbra
This could be the most critical discussion we may ever have.....

Does a 5th Gen. look better with a moonroof visor or without??

Recommendations please.....
Much better without it. Bought my AE (which already had it installed) and about a month later got rid of it. Hated the 'Camry' look, the water getting caught and dripping long after drying the rest of the car, etc.

No, I do not think there is any notable wind noise difference without it.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I had to do it all over again, I would not have it on my car. I have that infamous mark where it sits on the roof. My car had a wind deflector on it when I took delivery and then after about 4 months it broke from the stress cracks in it. That is when I first noticed the marks it left. I had to drive around with this mark showing for several months until they got the new ones in.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally posted by BiggD23
IMO...there are several reasons NOT to put one of these on your car...

1) The car looks sleeker and better without it

2) It doesn't cut down on wind noise that much. Maybe a little bit, but it's not like you can't have a conversation or listen to the radio without it. The sunroof itself has a small visor that raises up to help with noise.

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY....the visor scratches the **** out of the roof. It vibrates and wiggles and once a little dirt and debris get under there forget about it. In a matter of months you will have scratches all along where the lip meets the roof. They aren't visible while it's on the car, but you won't be able to take it off down the line once this happens without repainting the roof. Don't believe me? When the search feature comes back up do some searches and you'll see plenty of members all saying the same thing.

My 2k3 SE came with a wind deflector and I took it off after 2 days on the advice of many many ORG members who all said they wished they had taken theirs off before the damage was done. That being said, if you still want one I have 2 for sale cheap...1 that came off my 2k3 after 2 days and 1 in original unopened packaging. (This one was bought for my 2k, but didn't arrive until after I had traded it in for my 2k3.)

Old 05-20-2003, 12:33 PM

A matter of personal taste, I personally like the look and it serves its purpose well. Keep it tightened up and i am not worrying about scratches because it will be on the car until I sell it/trade it in and I know they dont look under their.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:46 PM

I have one, and love it. I've had them on other cars before, and yes they scratch the paint on all cars. But who cares??? You can't see the scratches underneath the rubber seal anyway (unless you take it off.) This definitely isn't going to hurt the paint anymore than driving it daily! Have you looked at your front bumpers recently?? At least you can't see under the rubber weatherstrip!
Old 05-20-2003, 01:01 PM
BiggD23

Originally posted by t56gen3
I have one, and love it. I've had them on other cars before, and yes they scratch the paint on all cars. But who cares??? You can't see the scratches underneath the rubber seal anyway (unless you take it off.) This definitely isn't going to hurt the paint anymore than driving it daily! Have you looked at your front bumpers recently?? At least you can't see under the rubber weatherstrip!

2003 Titanium/Grey SE 6 Speed loaded -Meridian -NAV, Stereo system, 20% tint, Zaino ZFX, timing advanced to 17 degrees, debadged, H&R Springs and Tokico struts, Cheap-o FSTB, Addco RSB, Injen intake, Definitive Motorsports UDP

Stereo: Stock 6 disc HU with Focal components front on Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2, stock Bose amp and rear speakers, MTX 2150 on MTX 6000 12" sub.

Ummm, I guess so. Hey to each his own. I would never put anything on my car that is 100% guaranteed to F up the paint but that's just me. Don't you think it's kinda weird to spend thousands on all those mods that you listed and leave a $30 piece of plastic to destroy your roof?

Old 05-20-2003, 01:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This definitely isn't going to hurt the paint anymore than driving it daily! Have you looked at your front bumpers recently?? At least you can't see under the rubber weatherstrip!
Good point about the front bumpers!
Old 05-20-2003, 01:20 PM

Ummm, I guess so. Hey to each his own. I would never put anything on my car that is 100% guaranteed to F up the paint but that's just me. Don't you think it's kinda weird to spend thousands on all those mods that you listed and leave a $30 piece of plastic to destroy your roof?
Hey, if Nissan is willing to manufacture and sell it with the car then it's good enough for me. If it was that detrimental they wouldn't warranty the car. And, I wish it was only $30.....

I had bascially the same design on my Saturn from the factory--same deal. Yup it scratched the paint some, could take it off and polish it out any time I wanted to. Car is 13 years old and alive and well with 210,000 miles on it, and hasn't done any permanent damage. And again, you can't see it.

But, I CAN see all the rock chips in my front bumper real well.

Better not let any women with long fingernails get in your car either, cause they will scratch the paint in the recess of the handle.

You probably put more fine scratches in your paint yourself every time you wash and dry your car and not even notice it. Most people don't wash their car rags/mits/towels after every car wash.

Point is: in the real world the car is gonna get scratched, dinged, and generally beat up. It can all be fixed--it's called maintainence. Why complain about something that causes minimal damage that's not visable? I bet your g/f puts all kinds of scratches in your passenger door handle, and your surely not gonna swear off women to prevent it, are ya?
Old 05-20-2003, 01:27 PM

You probably put more fine scratches in your paint yourself every time you wash and dry your car and not even notice it. Most people don't wash their car rags/mits/towels after every car wash.

Point is: in the real world the car is gonna get scratched, dinged, and generally beat up. It can all be fixed--it's called maintainence. Why complain about something that causes minimal damage that's not visable? I bet your g/f puts all kinds of scratches in your passenger door handle, and your surely not gonna swear off women to prevent it, are ya?
I wash my car rags!

Point is: yeah, the car will get scratched, dinged, and generally beat up. We just don't want to help it along by keeping a faulty-design wind deflector that will scratch it up even more.

The damage IS visible... take a good look at one that's been on for a while. And the whole woman/girlfriend thing is invalid... not EVERY woman has long nails that scratch paint... some women work for a living.

-R
Old 05-20-2003, 01:32 PM
BiggD23

Hey, if Nissan is willing to manufacture and sell it with the car then it's good enough for me.

That's a scary enough statement in itself.

But you're right for the most part, our paint is going to get beat up, especially Nissan paint (see your statement above ). I just try to do whatever I can to avoid it, and when I know something is 100% guaranteed to mess up the paint before I even have the car 6 months, then I'm sorry but it's gotta go. It's the same reason people put the clear bras on their bumper, they don't just sit back and say, "Oh well, it's gonna happen.", they try to do something about it ahead of time. But it's like MONTE said...it's a personal preference.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:38 PM

i have a couple of comments on this

first of all i think as far as the design of it it is the best one i have ever had, meaning that it does not hinder the opening of the sunroof at all,

i took mine off for a day drove around wihtout it, car was noticably louder, then i put it back on

the biggest difference is when you drive with the roof open, thats where the deflector comes into play.

I'm keeping mine on, i do take it off form time to time to clean the dirt that collects there
Old 05-20-2003, 01:41 PM
BiggD23

Originally posted by jeepik

the biggest difference is when you drive with the roof open, thats where the deflector comes into play.

Really? I thought it was meant for when I had the roof CLOSED.

(j/k. I'm just playin with you man, I couldn't resist! )

Old 05-20-2003, 01:41 PM
LithiuMax

Took mine off 2 days after getting car after reading comments on the org. It looks tighter without it anyway, and I don't have to worry about the messed up roof.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:49 PM

Really? I thought it was meant for when I had the roof CLOSED.

(j/k. I'm just playin with you man, I couldn't resist! )
it is noticably quiter with the roof closed, when the deflector is there then when it is not too
Old 05-20-2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE

I wash my car rags!

Point is: yeah, the car will get scratched, dinged, and generally beat up. We just don't want to help it along by keeping a faulty-design wind deflector that will scratch it up even more.

The damage IS visible... take a good look at one that's been on for a while. And the whole woman/girlfriend thing is invalid... not EVERY woman has long nails that scratch paint... some women work for a living.

-R
WOOOHOOO we have a rag washer! Now that's an enthusiast! That's always good to hear.

I can honestly say that if your woman doesn't have fancy nails then you're lucky. Unforunately all the ones at my office do, as well as family. And I usually end up driving to lunch at work because I have the "big" car. Every girlfriend I've had has had long nails.

Again, it's a preference. It's hot where I am and the "sun shade" feature (smoked) allows me to use the S/R more often.

This design is the same as other manufacturers. It works on other cars too. I'm sure it scratches their paints we well. If you don't like it, then lose it. Simple as that.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:16 PM

Dude, I might live in Chitown, but I use the sunroof all the time... and not when it is just sunny out either. All the glass has some 'shading'... I have the sliding cover as well. No biggie.

This design is NOT the same as other manufacturers. I had one on my Intrepid that used 3M tape and did not scratch or have clips for the retainers.

I believe I already stated that I didn't like it and that I removed it. If you like it, than keep it... simple as that. Just don't doubt the damage it does...

-R

p.s. Girls with long nails and paint all the time are classified as "high maintenance". These are usually well avoided if you want to have sanity in your future.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:19 PM

I just installed mine today... What is the scratching your talking about, did you use the supplied plastic tape that goes over the screws?

ED
Old 05-20-2003, 02:24 PM

p.s. Girls with long nails and paint all the time are classified as "high maintenance". These are usually well avoided if you want to have sanity in your future.
Wow--do you really stereotype women like that? What about people in general? I sure hope you're not that narrow minded.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:39 PM
BiggD23

Originally posted by MiniRX7
I just installed mine today... What is the scratching your talking about, did you use the supplied plastic tape that goes over the screws?
ED

It's not the screws at all...it's the visor itself. Anywhere where the visor touches the paint (which is all along the front of the sunroof and wrapping around each side slightly) will be scratched.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:47 PM

Wow--do you really stereotype women like that? What about people in general? I sure hope you're not that narrow minded.
I'm 33 yrs old and had my share of experiences in life. I call it how I see it... if the truth hurts, so be it. But most of the time, women with long painted nails are 'high maintenance' types. I could care less what you think of my opinion (as it is MY opinion)... so if you choose to flame me, it's a waste of YOUR time.

Just for the record... I am far from being 'narrow minded'. We can compare notes offline, if you'd like. I speak 3 languages, been to 19 countries, been to 42 US states, and consider myself 'cultured'. People in general? I think people in general are cool... we're all humans, subject to our own mistakes and beliefs. I don't see color, I see culture. But the one thing I can say is what I've said above.

Oh, and BTW... my g/f is 100% ethnic Polish... far from being 'high maintenance'. She has a culture that American women can't compare to.

-R
Old 05-20-2003, 03:53 PM

I just bought my car and after owning it for a couple days I removed the deflector. The car had 17,000 miles on it and left a noticable ring where the deflector used to be.
I took the car back to the dealer and they buffed out most of the scratches but the main outer lines are still there.
The dealer said my next option is a wet sand ( with no guarentees ), then the next option would be to repaint the roof for $500.

I think the car looks a ton better with out the deflector, I just have to figure out what I am going to do with the scratches.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:18 PM

I'm 33 yrs old and had my share of experiences in life. I call it how I see it... if the truth hurts, so be it. But most of the time, women with long painted nails are 'high maintenance' types. I could care less what you think of my opinion (as it is MY opinion)... so if you choose to flame me, it's a waste of YOUR time.

Just for the record... I am far from being 'narrow minded'. We can compare notes offline, if you'd like. I speak 3 languages, been to 19 countries, been to 42 US states, and consider myself 'cultured'. People in general? I think people in general are cool... we're all humans, subject to our own mistakes and beliefs. I don't see color, I see culture. But the one thing I can say is what I've said above.

Oh, and BTW... my g/f is 100% ethnic Polish... far from being 'high maintenance'. She has a culture that American women can't compare to.

-R
Good--I'm happy for you. I'm done. But the original topic was the deflector... ;-)
Old 05-20-2003, 04:24 PM

I read the majority of the board's opinion before i bought my deflector, and still went ahead with it because i never count on taking off the thing again until i sell the car. I rather have it there and prevent the interior from getting dirty than to worry about seeing scratches on the roof after i take off the thing. I always have my roof open, except when it rains of course. I don't want to worry about the interior.
BTW, i have the sheer silver as you can see, so the sunroof's color stands out, but it doesn't look horrible. Just noticeable and i actually like the look.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:19 PM

Sheer Silver RULES...
Old 05-21-2003, 07:32 AM

Took mine off last night....a ring of dirt! Got it cleaned up and like cotaeg above; I have a ring. I'm going to do some buffing also to see if it helps. SUX!!