5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03 WRX vs 03 MAX

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 09:03 PM

03 WRX vs 03 MAX

i have had my 03 6 speed max for a little while now, but recently because my friend's father is head manager of parts and service of Subaru of america (head quaters in cherry hill NJ). I got a really good deal on a 03 WRX sedan 5 speed. the car just came out of breaking in period and i'm just starting to rev it up to about 5.5 grand, when it red lines at 7. I have no way of testing which car is actually faster (besides factory 0 to 60 claims). and i'm sure not going to let my friend drive my max or wrx. How would you guys picture the race from 0 to 60 and to the quater mile?

i have frankcar intake and oz racing superlaggera wraped in michline pilot sport on my max, and the same rim only 1 inch smaller (17s) wrapped in the same rubber on my WRX. but let just say it's completely stock to stock, what do you figure the out come will be? and how about realisitcally with these cars being very very minor modded like what i have done?

thx guys!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 09:26 PM
LithiuMax

WRX owns the Max, dude.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:33 PM

wrx.. no contest... it will blow u away.... and that wrx is only a chip away from being almost 300 hp from what i hear
Old 05-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Yankees pwn you !

But if you care about looks wise, the max is an overall best deal. The max gives you the "luxury" look as well as performance. The WRX gives you the "ricer high school kid" look. I would rather have the max. Just my .02.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:59 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I'd take a Max over a WRX...speed isnt everything
Old 05-22-2003, 10:04 PM

If you really want speed get a bike!!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:16 PM

i have both and intend to keep both. What's going to happen is that the max is good for everyday driving and occational eating civic fun, but when driving gets tough as such gravel, rain, snow, maybe 3 inch of mud i'll take the WRX. also the rex is at 227 hp, with turbo back (down pipe and cat back), Cobb tunning can make it 285 hp on 93 octane gas for 395 dollars (access ECU stage 2). I will have that done pretty soon and then it's uppipe, intake then back to cobb once again. I spoke to them and they told me i can see 300 at the crank with my setup, but we'll see. But i have come a long ways, starting with a 97 altima gxe automatic to 03 max and now 03 wrx. but i still have all 3 cars and intend to keep the 2. but thx for your responses, anymore? how bad would my wrx eat up my max in a roll off?
Old 05-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i just wish subaru made their engines.... well..... bigger.....
when we were test driving cars I liked the 2.5rs and WRX because of their handling and ride, but they werent fast enough to get me in "that" much trouble.

Then we test drove our 2000. It was my first time driving a VQ, let along a 5spd Maxima. aside from the maxima keeping a much lower rpm on the highway compared to the suby's, the big *** burnout on the onramp kinda got the best of us
Old 05-23-2003, 12:33 AM

as much as i love the max.. the WRX STI will eat you alive ! (if you guys did't know, the 03 STI is a 2.5 turbo, and factory claimed around 300 HP, not mentioning the AWD which will also smoke u from the start)
the STI i belive can run low 5s 0-60 and high 13s stock i could be wrong.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:31 AM

I almost bought a WRX but figured after the "wow" factor weared off I'd be left with a kid's car...So Maxima wins by a mile in my book.

BTW, I saw an '04 WRX Sti this morning - with dealer plates. The things looks ferocious...Still wouldn't want to drive it around town though...
Old 05-23-2003, 04:34 AM
Wat

Re: 03 WRX vs 03 MAX

Car and Driver tested both. They got 6.0 for the 2k2+ 6sp and around 5.8 for WRX (they said 5.4sec was a fluke, and that 99.9% actually pulled 5.8 or worse). So, If both are launched perfectly the WRX will win by a lil bit. BUT, AWD cars are trickier to launch (you must first get the car to roll, then floor it. If you dont, say bye-bye to the clutch and a good launch time) so it's pretty much a driver's race.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:51 AM

Re: Re: 03 WRX vs 03 MAX

Originally posted by E55AMG2
Car and Driver tested both. They got 6.0 for the 2k2+ 6sp and around 5.8 for WRX (they said 5.4sec was a fluke, and that 99.9% actually pulled 5.8 or worse). So, If both are launched perfectly the WRX will win by a lil bit. BUT, AWD cars are trickier to launch (you must first get the car to roll, then floor it. If you dont, say bye-bye to the clutch and a good launch time) so it's pretty much a driver's race.
Dude...you sure you've ever driven an AWD car correctly?? I used to have a quattro, and the best (and only way to get a good launch time) was to get the RPM's to about 3500 - 4000 and then DROP the clutch. As long as your clutch take up is very quick and smooth, you shouldn't hurt the clutch bad at all. Cars have AWD for one reason: GRIP. As long as you know what you're doing, getting an excellent launch time from an AWD car is pretty easy.

Maybe you're thinking of our beloved max's that have to roll a little then be floored because of traction reasons??
Old 05-23-2003, 06:08 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: 03 WRX vs 03 MAX

Originally posted by E55AMG2
BUT, AWD cars are trickier to launch (you must first get the car to roll, then floor it. If you dont, say bye-bye to the clutch and a good launch time) so it's pretty much a driver's race.

On what planet is that?
Old 05-23-2003, 06:33 AM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not sure if you have seen this yet!!

http://travel.discovery.com/news/afp...80.63479242013
Let him keep the cars and money, he deserves it!!

My opinions:
Max - Fast 4 door sports sedan
WRX - Fast 4 door sports econosedan
STI - Ridiculously fast 4 door rally car +$$$$ 32-35k

Just a matter of comfort and size for Max vs. WRX.
WRX will always have the advantage of easy high HP
upgrades but more potential to tear up the tranny/clutch.

I like the Max personally; the WRX is more of a toy car
but I still wouldn't mind having one!
Old 05-23-2003, 07:03 AM

He will kill you off the line....only thing you can do is the ricer fly-by when the race is over
Old 05-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I drive an 02 WRX wagon, 5 speed. My wife's car is an 03 Max SE 6 spd w/ HLSD. I think I can shed some light on this question.

First, I agree that it will largely come down to the driver, both in terms of launching skill and also willingness to abuse the driveline. If both cars are launched only moderately aggressively, the Max would win a 0-60 sprint due to its better low-end torque. Launched conservatively, the WRX's turbo lag will cause it to drop back off the line, but by 60 it will be gaining on the Max. A 5 MPH rolling start would favor the Max even more.

Now, if the WRX driver was to rev to 5000 RPM and drop the clutch, the WRX would get out of the gate faster and win the race. Eventually that sort of launch will cause things to break though. In fact Subaru modified the clutch assembly for 03, since so many 02s were coming back with blown trannies from overly aggressive drop-clutch launches.

Having said all that, a better driver will beat a worse driver in either car.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:00 AM
I am Roid Rage

^^^
That's the truth. Good post Dave.

My friend has a WRX that is modded somewhat heavily. Up-pipe, downpipe, cat-back, intake, pullies, chipped, dyno-tuned, etc. It puts down something like 230whp. Very nice car. However we've went at both at the track and on the street. On the street he would pull me from a stop (1-3 cars) and then we would stay even. From a roll we would stay even as well. When we went to the track he ran everything from a 14.2 to a 14.9. It is somewhat tricky to get a consistent launch from them. You gotta be a pretty good driver and really know the car.

For the record, I don't even have one of the 255hp monsters. Mine is a 99 5-spd. 14.59 is my PB and I usually pull 14.8's.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:12 AM

just want to clear a few things up: it doesn't matter how big the engine really is, a 2.0 liter pushing 1 bar is almost like 4.0 liter engine weighing in as a 2.0 liter, mainwhile producing much less friction. Torque factor is not hurt by the turbo charger unlike vTECH, as proofed in the STi, which is making 300 hp and 300 pound feet. It also runs a 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds and crossing over the quater mile at 13.2 seconds @103 mph (june 2003 C&D). My 2.0 liter wrx can reach a 5.4 seconds, but the problem is that in order to reach that speed, you need to drop the clutch and very high RPMs, and since AWD almost never break lose the tires, all the torque cant be bleed like the FWD or RWD cars, therefore you are in danger of snapping gears or hurting Tranny. That's why a 5.8 second sprint to the 60 is much more realistic in real life. I like my VQ, and one day hope to turbo it, but my WRX is my fun car, where i can go and pick on GT's now and then.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:24 AM

He will kill you off the line....only thing you can do is the ricer fly-by when the race is over

he?? both of the cars are mine, what do you mena he?
Old 05-23-2003, 09:06 AM

who do you think would have a better shot at the quarter mile if both cars were both auto and fully stock? just wondering cuz my friend might be gettin an 03 wrx auto and i have an 03 max auto.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I should add, regardless of 0-60 times and HP figures, the WRX is the more entertaining car to drive, hands down. The WRX also has the superior "driver interface": more supportive seats, better weighted steering, better clutch feel, more precise shifter. The Max is more of a luxury cruiser in comparison... a really fast one!
Old 05-23-2003, 09:20 AM

bunch of the kids around like the WRX's, and although they are definatly faster, i like my Maxima better. nicer ride, better looks (in my opinion) and overall more comfortable and classy to ride in. WRX would be fun sometimes, but there is more to life than accelerating fast
Old 05-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Wat

Re: Re: Re: 03 WRX vs 03 MAX

Originally posted by 00gxe5sp

Dude...you sure you've ever driven an AWD car correctly?? I used to have a quattro, and the best (and only way to get a good launch time) was to get the RPM's to about 3500 - 4000 and then DROP the clutch. As long as your clutch take up is very quick and smooth, you shouldn't hurt the clutch bad at all. Cars have AWD for one reason: GRIP. As long as you know what you're doing, getting an excellent launch time from an AWD car is pretty easy.

Maybe you're thinking of our beloved max's that have to roll a little then be floored because of traction reasons??
Ive driven my friend's S4. Lets just say its heavily breathed on. I dropped the clutch at like 3500 and mashed the gas, car didnt move all that fast and I smelled burning clutch. Needless to say, I have to pay for it, once he gets it changed. What you guys are saying is true, to a point. When you get a whole lot of power, grip, and alot of inertia to overcome, the clutch takes the brunt of the abuse. He shoulda used a racing clutch, but didnt like the jerkiness. Also there is a c/d article about AWD launches. I'll find the issue and post it here.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:51 PM

Driving through a deserted stretch of Nebraska on a week day in February (dry conditions temp was high 50s) I met a guy with a WRX 5-speed at a rest stop. We started chatting about his car and how it handled, and he actually brought up the point that it doesnt have very good top end. When he noticed that I had the MT in my max he asked if I wanted to race from 60 on the highway. Long story short, I pulled about 1.5 car lengths to approximately 115 at which we cut it off. I noticed that I started to gain the most once I hit 4th gear (my favorite gear). I dont think the WRX is all that formidable from a roll. Now from a standing launch it is a much different story, and then when you look at the mod potential, the WRX is very nice.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Beech Man Whore Slapper

I have been reading this thread, and I honestly thint that a max
can take a stock or even, slightly modified WRX

Last year a good 10 maxes from the ORG went to a dragstrip in IL.
Some of the maxes were 4th gen and 5th gens.

The #'s we ran was as high as 16's to a flat 14.(nealoc, 4th gen, all bolt-ons, currently running 13.5's).

I ran a 14.49 stock with my six speed max, that day and so did
another max, but his car was automatic.

2 stock WRX's were at the track and they ran from Mid 15.5's to 14.7's (best time out of the 2 WRX's).

A lot of people have been praising the WRX 2000 to 2002, but I think that the 5th gen maxes would be a formidable foe.

In the long run, the VQ engine would last longer than the WRX engine.
I'm not taking any credit away from the WRX, it's a nice car, with the AWD and flat 4 turbo !

The new 2003 STi would beat the 5th gen max with no problem, but from seeing and hearing 5th gen maxes(3.5) running 14.0 to 13.7's with bolt ons - Y-pipe,B-pibe, and Greedy Exhuast.

The max would give the STi a run for its money. Put some slicks on a max and the AWD factor would almost be canceled out.

Add a turbo or S/C to the max --- that's a whole other story !!

I just wanted to give my 2 cents to this subject since the max is really not getting the attention and credit than other featured cars
Old 05-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by SPEEDY6

...I just wanted to give my 2 cents to this subject since the max is really not getting the attention and credit than other featured cars
That's half the fun of driving a maxima. A lot, maybe most people don't respect it. Surprises the **** out of them.

...and since AWD almost never break lose the tires, all the torque cant be bleed like the FWD or RWD cars, therefore you are in danger of snapping gears or hurting Tranny...

Isn't that what the clutch is for? The sacraficial piece between a 5k launch and breakage? The best launches I get in my AE are from +/-2k RPM, I engaged clutch and apply the accelerator in such a way that the engine is nearing redline as the clutch pedal is fully released. The tires don't break loose and parts don't break. The clutch won't last as long as it could but I've had the best of several encounters that surprised me as much as the other driver.

As for second gear, God I wish I had a 3.5.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Beech Man Whore Slapper

bluemaxx,

Your 3.0 max has a lot of advantages over my 3.5 max

VQ all the way
Old 05-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by SPEEDY6
bluemaxx,

Your 3.0 max has a lot of advantages over my 3.5 max

VQ all the way
I think I could adjust to a 3.5. I've driven a 6th gen and a Z, the 3.5 honks.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by davearm
I drive an 02 WRX wagon, 5 speed. My wife's car is an 03 Max SE 6 spd w/ HLSD. I think I can shed some light on this question.

First, I agree that it will largely come down to the driver, both in terms of launching skill and also willingness to abuse the driveline. If both cars are launched only moderately aggressively, the Max would win a 0-60 sprint due to its better low-end torque. Launched conservatively, the WRX's turbo lag will cause it to drop back off the line, but by 60 it will be gaining on the Max. A 5 MPH rolling start would favor the Max even more.

Now, if the WRX driver was to rev to 5000 RPM and drop the clutch, the WRX would get out of the gate faster and win the race. Eventually that sort of launch will cause things to break though. In fact Subaru modified the clutch assembly for 03, since so many 02s were coming back with blown trannies from overly aggressive drop-clutch launches.

Having said all that, a better driver will beat a worse driver in either car.
the race is driver dependant and whether or not the wrx driver wants to burn his clutch out.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:27 PM

The Subaru has a 4-banger. A very high horsepower 4 cylinder, but ONLY at high rpm's after the turbo has kicked in. The thing I like about the Maxima's is the fact that the power is always there. There's no waiting for the turbo to spool up. In my opinion that is much better useable power for city driving.

I used to own a 98 Jeep 5.9 Limited. I raced a guy in a brand new 2000 Acura Integra Type-R with it. Even though the 0-60 times are almost identical on both vehicles, I took him by 2 car lengths by the time we were at 50mph. The thing is, I had a major torque advantage on him. His car was rated at only 130ft. lbs Honda , while my Jeep was rated at 345 ft. lbs, most of which is ready by 2,500 rpm. I almost felt bad for him getting beaten that bad by a heavy suv and all.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:56 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

WRX is all about launch. Race them from a roll (in your 02+ ONLY ) and you will win. I have raced a WRX on a roll, and the guy was surprised that he got Off the line, like others have said, they need a 5K clutch drop to get going. I considered a WRX before i bought the max. WRX has more potential (i.e. TURBO) but the max for me was bigger, and i could get leather and a roof. WRXs modded will kill us, especially the upcoming STi, but for a stock WRX, i would worry too much about..