5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Leather Seats

Has anyone had problems with their leather seats?

I have developed cracks where I think the leather meets the vinyl on the outside of the driver side. It looks like three rips. I know that recieves a lot of "traffic" so to speak, so I can be a "little" open minded about wear and tear, but not very much.
I am also having something similar in the driver rear seat that looks like a emerging crack in the leather also. I use the Armor All leather wipes for treatment and on occasion will use Maguires for an overall clean.

I wouldn't be so ****ed if I didn't take such good care of my car.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:27 AM

i have heard bad things about the armor all stuff, all it bascally does is make your seats nice an dshiny and doesnt really do anything to the leather

i stopped using them and started using lexol.. MUCH BETTER it is absorbed by the leather and leather is actually softer, which will hopefully reduce cracks in the future
Old 06-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Leather

The leather in my 02 is nasty. It was croppy the day I got it. Really crappy grain and an overall "dryness". If I had to do it over I would have purchased cloth and got the leather from the aftermarket. From what I've seen the quality is much better.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Moderator GT-R

Re: Leather Seats

Originally posted by bnbrown

I have developed cracks where I think the leather meets the vinyl on the outside of the driver side. It looks like three rips. I know that recieves a lot of "traffic" so to speak, so I can be a "little" open minded about wear and tear, but not very much.
I am also having something similar in the driver rear seat that looks like a emerging crack in the leather also. I use the Armor All leather wipes for treatment and on occasion will use Maguires for an overall clean.

Thanks.
If you are still in warranty take it in. I just had the drivers seat bottom replaced for exactly the cracks you describe.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Wat

They dry out the leather too much, the armorall wipes. Get zymol or some saddle soap and a good window tint. Your leather will last a long time.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Leather Seats

Originally posted by E55AMG2
They dry out the leather too much, the armorall wipes. Get zymol or some saddle soap and a good window tint. Your leather will last a long time.
I think I will definitely look at some high quality leather treatment. I am going to attempt to request warranty work done on the leather, but if they have the same info about the leather wipes I doubt they will do anything but tell me its my fault. I hate it when I think I am taking care of something when really I am not! grrr
Old 06-01-2003, 04:59 PM
trey

Re: Re: Re: Leather Seats

I think I will definitely look at some high quality leather treatment. I am going to attempt to request warranty work done on the leather, but if they have the same info about the leather wipes I doubt they will do anything but tell me its my fault. I hate it when I think I am taking care of something when really I am not! grrr
I've been hearing a lot about that lexol product, Is everyone using the two step procedure of lexol cleaner then whatever they call the second step?

Old 06-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Pointy Elbows

Lexol is an awesome product! It made my leather feel unbelievably soft. I used some cleaner first. I was shocked to see how much dirt came off of my seats! Then I used the the Lexol preserative.
I have stopped using the ArmorAll wipes.

Tinshield, I always thought that the 2k2-2k3 leather looked really nice. Man, if you think that's bad, you gotta see the 2k-2k1 leather. Not nearly as good as the 2k2.

Buy the Lexol. You won't regret it!
Old 06-01-2003, 06:14 PM
rilla dope

I use Blue Magic, same stuff as Lexol, 2 stage, used it on my couches and now aftermarket leather, seriously awesome. Smells great too, not all musty like the Meguirs
Old 06-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks.
I have aftermarket leather, but have the same problem - a few little slits on the left (as you sit in the car) back side bolster. Plan to take it in soon to have it fixed (it's under warranty for the duration of the factory warranty).

I use the Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner - the cleaner is good, gets out any dirt or marks. But it's much better when combined with the conditioner, which makes the leather softer and more smooth.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Wat

Lexol is a great product too. Connolly hide food is another. Look around the auto parts store and youll find a good one.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:37 PM

I also use Lexol. I use the Lexol cleaner then follow up with a the Lexol Conditioner, they work great. also, I got this link from someone off the org http://www.carcareonline.com/howto.aspx
Old 06-02-2003, 05:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Zaino

What about Zaino? Their polish is great but what about the leather stuff? Anyone try it?