5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To INJEN OR Not to INJEN

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 09:56 PM

To INJEN OR Not to INJEN

Obsessed with the injen CAI system, but I dunno if its worth the money. I heard from other people thats I just paying the 240 for a nice noise under ths hood.... so I am hoping some of you guys who has one to tell me the difference its made for you. I am also trying to get a stillen rear sway bar.. know any place?? PAYCE
Old 06-03-2003, 09:57 PM

My $.02 (and a dyno to back it up). (this will probably get me in trouble but you asked) It is noise. I would go with the bar.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:07 PM

Re: To INJEN OR Not to INJEN

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maximo-SE
Obsessed with the injen CAI system, but I dunno if its worth the money. I heard from other people thats I just paying the 240 for a nice noise under ths hood.... so I am hoping some of you guys who has one to tell me the difference its made for you. I am also trying to get a stillen rear sway bar.. know any place?? PAYCE [/QUOTE

Go with the frankencar along with the midpipe, I hear nothing but great reviews. I have a Injen Intake myself...I feel a bit of a difference on the high end but no to noticeable it does sound great however. I'm definitely going to get the frankencar and see how that one is. Anyway good luck and by the way isn't sheer silver the baddest color available for the 5th generation Max.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:16 PM

If you want a true CAI,Get a PlaceRacing CAI
Old 06-03-2003, 11:09 PM

injen cai aint even a cai, it sucks in hot air from the radiator
Old 06-03-2003, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
Better off getting a WAI like a FRANKENCAR
Old 06-04-2003, 12:27 AM

I challege anyone to say they can really feel the difference in a WAI/CAI mod alone. I like my Injen because it sounds good, it looks good, and it definitely makes a difference in stop and go traffic in that it does NOT suck hot air from the radiator area. I used to have the Frankencar (it sounded even nicer) and the car really bogged down after idling in hot weather. Regardless, there's probably minimal differences in most aftermarket intakes. Looks, build quality, and sound are what are most important to me...you decide for yourself.

Tony
Old 06-04-2003, 05:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by clipse
If you want a true CAI,Get a PlaceRacing CAI

Injen's are garbage.. Just get a PR Cai or do like a mid-pipe setup like Frankencar
Old 06-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Franken has proven to have done better on the dynoes over the Injen.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:29 AM

If you get a PR CAI, get ready to cut a hole in your fender, no thanks!!! I had the Injen on my 2k and it makes a nice difference on the low end, high end you lose a little bit, but that's what the Y-pipe was for
Old 06-04-2003, 09:44 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

I like my Injen because it sounds good, it looks good, and it definitely makes a difference in stop and go traffic in that it does NOT suck hot air from the radiator area.

Tony
I agree the INJEN is a nice looking piece, but can you explain to me how an intake that sits behind the radiator doesnt suck in more hot air the the frankercar? I wanted the Injen, but for the $$ for me Frankencar was the way to go.

Old 06-04-2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE

I agree the INJEN is a nice looking piece, but can you explain to me how an intake that sits behind the radiator doesnt suck in more hot air the the frankercar? I wanted the Injen, but for the $$ for me Frankencar was the way to go.
No...I can't explain it. But I can let the car sit all day and idle on hot asphault (at a traffic light for example) and when it comes time to go, the car doesn't bog down nearly as much as when I had the Frankencar. I'm not bashing the FC, just stating my observations.

Who knows, maybe the Injen DOES suck in hot air? Who cares...I like it. I researched the you-know-what out of different intakes and I'm quite happy with my decision.

Tony
Old 06-04-2003, 10:40 AM
NT2SHBBY

*** ALL THAT!!! get a Stillen!!!

Old 06-04-2003, 10:57 AM

GAB!
Old 06-04-2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by wildmanal
Franken has proven to have done better on the dynoes over the Injen.
And that's why my car with an Injen pulled my buddy's identical car but with a Frankencar, right???
Old 06-04-2003, 11:04 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by t56gen3

And that's why my car with an Injen pulled my buddy's identical car but with a Frankencar, right???
thats cuz Nathan's a granny-shiftin hick....

Old 06-04-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE

I wanna know what version you are looking at that "pulls air from the radiator." Mine sits BESIDE the radiator and fans.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

Heh, that's a whole 'nother thread......LMAO
Old 06-04-2003, 11:13 AM

I installed my Injen earlier this year on my 2002 at the drag strip. Great product and wel built and look great to boot.

As for performance, with the so called butt dyno, the engine seemed to rev faster from 3000-6000rpm but that couldbe because I can hear the engine now.

When I first with the first few runs power died right at 6000rpm bt as time went on it pulled a little higher but not to reline as it did stock. I am thinking I may need a bigger filter.

As for q-mile times nothing changed...we'll see what happens next time I go. It would have been best if I had a chance to do it at the dyno.

As for sitting behind the Rad, no it doesn't. It does sit near but IMO not enough that it affects it, there is plenty of area around for the cool air to get near it.

Do I regret it, no! It looks good, feels good and the sound allows me not to look at the tach when I am on the track (road course not wimpy q-mile)as there is a distinct sound just before redline.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Blu
the tits

I want another injen since I sold mine but just for show purposes only
Old 06-04-2003, 12:33 PM

what is this mid pipe people are talking about.. can u do this on a 04 max.. and does the 03 injen intake fit on an 04 maxima?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:43 PM

on the low end the injen is better and its not that hard to prove. the injen filter sits at the bottom and sucks all the cold air. i have a WAI and when its gets more then 80-85 degrees out, you can defintley notice a big negetive in performence which i bet the injen you dont really feel. the good thing about the WAI is the high end, the high end on those things is really good, you can defintley see the tach flying up to 5's and 6's rpm with no problem. the thing is, i dont really get to those high rpms because its more gas and more wear on the engine, so i rather have lots of low end torque.

when its cold out, i bet the WAI can take the Injen because it has a shorter pipe allowing it for better and faster flow. when its in the 30's out here, the car feels really fast.

sometimes i think to myself with the WAI, i gain top end but i loose low end, so its the same thing. with the Injen you dont really loose anything but you get the cool sound. so its up to you what you want
Old 06-04-2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

Someone is drinking their HaterAid. Is that a Mac Truck in the rearview? No, it is NT2SHBBY's Trenz Grille. :-D
Old 06-04-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by maximamaybe

Someone is drinking their HaterAid. Is that a Mac Truck in the rearview? No, it is NT2SHBBY's Trenz Grille. :-D
You would be seeing his grille in the rearview mirror cause he's a yank driving an auto!!!!!!

(j/k)
Old 06-04-2003, 12:58 PM
NT2SHBBY

You would be seeing his grille in the rearview mirror cause he's a yank driving an auto!!!!!!
oh ****..that's it.....yall hicks are deader than Elvis Presley!!!

its WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2003, 01:00 PM

The South will rise again. Plus he is still alive. I saw him at Walmart last week.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:02 PM
NT2SHBBY

The South will rise again. Plus he is still alive. I saw him at Walmart last week.
oh yeah..thats right..he was that guy gettin his a$$ kicked by.....who was that again???...oh yeah.....

IT WAS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2003, 01:05 PM

I still say that was your timing advance. I will believe so until you do it again. I did get pulled though.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:36 PM

I have Injen intake and I love it! It sounds nice, and I definitly feel a performance gain compare to the stock airbox.

I've never had a Frankin intake before so I can't really compare the two..but if you ask me if its worth it....I would give you a BIG YES!

For all of you who thinks Injen its a POS, well thats your own opinion, but the truth is they are a well known company and have been well recognized.

BTW, the intake does't sit right behind the radiator, its actually to the right of the radiator, atleast in my car anyway.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:44 PM

is it me or is there no reason to put on a performance mod that can possibly hurt power in part of the powerband? or is the intake just a ricer mod
Old 06-04-2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by slickrick
is it me or is there no reason to put on a performance mod that can possibly hurt power in part of the powerband? or is the intake just a ricer mod
Performance is all about compromise, some extreme and some not so extreme.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So Basically where u live should determine the intake you should get.West Coast most likely would like the injen where the east coast frankencar. Is that right peeps cuz im movin to arizona i know its dam well above 80-85 degrees outside.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:06 PM

To really test which one is better you have to test them on the same car at the same time on the same dyno.

Then base your decision on which one meets your needs. Does one increase top end and drop lower end, does one have a higher peak but lower average gain. Lot's of variables to choose from.

Originally posted by BlazeMax
So Basically where u live should determine the intake you should get.West Coast most likely would like the injen where the east coast frankencar. Is that right peeps cuz im movin to arizona i know its dam well above 80-85 degrees outside.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by slickrick
It's called a ricer mod. I'm with you 100%. Next thing I'll be hearing the Stillen battery tie down accounts for a 5% increase in TQ.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by ajahearn

It's called a ricer mod. I'm with you 100%. Next thing I'll be hearing the Stillen battery tie down accounts for a 5% increase in TQ.
No, it's just Hypergrounding that does that! LMFAO
Old 06-05-2003, 06:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

On the 5th gen's it is, it sits to the right of the radiator.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:36 AM

Ya know, it never ceases to amaze me how much people who don't know correct information keep spittin' out false statements consistently.

If you don't know for sure, or have not seen for yourself, then keep your mouth shut.

For the record (take notes!): VQ35 Injen does NOT SIT BEHIND THE RADIATOR. It sits beside. So, unless you have one and have looked at it, cork it!
Old 06-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Blu
the tits

Ya know, it never ceases to amaze me how much people who don't know correct information keep spittin' out false statements consistently.

If you don't know for sure, or have not seen for yourself, then keep your mouth shut.

For the record (take notes!): VQ35 Injen does NOT SIT BEHIND THE RADIATOR. It sits beside. So, unless you have one and have looked at it, cork it!
I have owned the injen and the only downfall is the radiator blasting on the piping making it scalding hot.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

I have owned the injen and the only downfall is the radiator blasting on the piping making it scalding hot.
I'm sure it gets "preheated" a little. But under acceleration you are pulling more air through the intake than is blowing on the pipe. At the rate it's traveling through the pipe it will not heat up to the "outside" temp of the engine bay. At idle in your driveway, it probably will. It's still cooler air than with a Frankencar.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Blu
the tits

I'm sure it gets "preheated" a little. But under acceleration you are pulling more air through the intake than is blowing on the pipe. At the rate it's traveling through the pipe it will not heat up to the "outside" temp of the engine bay. At idle in your driveway, it probably will. It's still cooler air than with a Frankencar.
Completely agree the injen is much better for summer(warmer) days as the FC is much better for winter. I have owned both and now kind of regretting selling the injen since the temps have rised. Now I will so the GAB for the summer to lose the bog feeling from the FC.

Quick Reply: To INJEN OR Not to INJEN