5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I cut the whole for my CAI out in the wrong spot!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just got my placeracing CAI.....Since the stupid intructions that come with it dont really have any displays or diagrams....I cut out the hole under the battery tray instead of under that fuse box...I took the whole battery out, the metal battery tray and the plastic battery holder. Theres a metal plate under there too.....I used the pre-drawn cut-out and everything!!! I thought I was doing it right but then I went to the Cattman website to get some other info and DOH!!!...I saw some pics of how it was supposed to be done! The hole has to go under the fuse box. It took me hours to cut that damn hole too... Now, I have a whole the size of a CD under my battery tray and I hope it dose'nt cause any problems... It does'nt seem to be it a spot where it'll cause trouble because it was hollow under there.... I need a faq or some differnt instructions on how to insatll my Place-Racing CAI because the one they send with it is'nt detailed enough. #*&@$&#& >(

Deac
Old 01-27-2001, 09:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ouch...

Originally posted by Deac
I just got my placeracing CAI.....Since the stupid intructions that come with it dont really have any displays or diagrams....I cut out the hole under the battery tray instead of under that fuse box...I took the whole battery out, the metal battery tray and the plastic battery holder. Theres a metal plate under there too.....I used the pre-drawn cut-out and everything!!! I thought I was doing it right but then I went to the Cattman website to get some other info and DOH!!!...I saw some pics of how it was supposed to be done! The hole has to go under the fuse box. It took me hours to cut that damn hole too... Now, I have a whole the size of a CD under my battery tray and I hope it dose'nt cause any problems... It does'nt seem to be it a spot where it'll cause trouble because it was hollow under there.... I need a faq or some differnt instructions on how to insatll my Place-Racing CAI because the one they send with it is'nt detailed enough. #*&@$&#& >(

Deac
one of the reasons i thought against a CAI was that i had to cut a hole to fit the pipe and the filter...
that hurts big time...
Old 01-28-2001, 12:00 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Doh! You have to line up the hole in the template with the holes on your fender. I don't have a FAQ, but check out my site to see pictures. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2001, 04:21 AM

different instructions........

Dose'nt anyone know wher I can get different instructions on how to install it...or a web-site w/some differents faqs on how to install the Placeracing CAI?

Deac
Old 01-28-2001, 08:21 AM

Sorry about that. I've had minor installation blunders too. It's maddenning, humbling, and sometimes it's costly. I've learned if I don't understand the procedure, and/or I don't have the right tools/templates to complete the job, I don't start hacking away at my car until I do. The supplier, your friends & family, or your local mechanic would probably be happy to advise you, if only you would ASK them. How's that for cheap advice? I know that's easy for me to say after the fact. Your misfortune is a painful reminder to us all. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2001, 01:59 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

ummm...dunno what to say about your mess...

go to http://www.maximadriver.com and click "How2" on the left and then look to the right of the screen and click "How to install a CAI"...im pretty sure the instructions are well detailed...good luck..
Old 01-28-2001, 02:52 PM

Re: different instructions........

Hey Deac, dont worry your Max is going to be lighter now with that hole and the batery will run cooler but anyway here is what your looking for. Call Place Racing(626)966-4888 and tell them to mail you the instructions of the CAI, they are nice people and will help you out. And here's a site for some Pics that will help you install it better. It doesn't show the hole but it help me a lot.
www,geocities.com/russ2kmax/5thcai.htm Good Luck!

Originally posted by Deac
Dose'nt anyone know wher I can get different instructions on how to install it...or a web-site w/some differents faqs on how to install the Placeracing CAI?

Deac
Old 01-28-2001, 09:30 PM

Its finally done....

Well....after about 17hrs of work...(literally) I finally go the damn CAI installed...It was a nightmare. I thought I did enough research to be able to put it in 1-2-3 but I guess not. I'm relatively new at working on cars so I'll admit that I didnt really know what I was doing and I took it for granted that the instructions would tell me everything...I was dead wrong!!
Special thanx to Russ2kSE, and Kev2kSE for helping me out. Sorry if I was a pest guys, but I was desparate! To everyone else who posted a note to help me, I really appreciate the input...Thax again.
I took it for a test run and that new "growl" makes the car sound awesome. I did notice the extra power also...not as much extra as I wanted but the HP increase was definately noticeable w/the Place Racing CAI...
In closing, research, research, research guys before you start any installation....I had a really bad experience this time but I am satisfied w/the product. Good Luck guys...

Deac
Old 01-29-2001, 07:11 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You're welcome... just make sure you don't try to install the supercharger yourself (when you get it).
Old 01-29-2001, 02:53 PM

so what are you going to do with the hole?

time to whip out the duct tape... heheh

I wonder what will happen down the road when the car is going to be sold ... hehe "uh, what's this hole doing here?"
Old 01-29-2001, 04:49 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by got rice?
so what are you going to do with the hole?

time to whip out the duct tape... heheh

I wonder what will happen down the road when the car is going to be sold ... hehe "uh, what's this hole doing here?"
looks like its under the battery tray so he won't have to worry about it
Old 01-29-2001, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
You're welcome... just make sure you don't try to install the supercharger yourself (when you get it).
I thought duct tape and a sledge hammer were all you needed to install?
Old 01-29-2001, 05:16 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by punkdork
Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I thought duct tape and a sledge hammer were all you needed to install?
I'll confirm when I get to that part.
Old 01-29-2001, 05:59 PM

you cant see the hole....

I hope that hole does'nt cause any trouble...although its F*&#$'d up, it's not in a place where it would cause any trouble. It's directly under the battery tray...I didnt cover it either...I just put the battery tray back on and then that plastic cover for the battery tray...no one will ever notice that I hope....

Deac