5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 02:44 PM
Moe

Ok, I understand what shocks and springs are but I don't really get what struts are. Is it necessary to upgrade them if you upgrade the spring/struts?
Old 01-28-2001, 03:29 PM

The 5th generation Nissan Maxima uses MacPherson struts, coiling springs, tube shocks, anti-roll bar.

The front suspension of any car is a critical subsystem because it performs so many vital functions. In addition to its role of suspending the front-wheel assemblies from the frame, isolating road harshness and handling braking and steering functions, front-wheel-drive front suspensions must control front wheels that are powered by the drive train.

The MacPherson strut design has become popular because it takes up very little space. It allows more engine room and if the car is equipped with rear struts, it allows more trunk and rear seat room. A MacPherson strut front suspension is a combination strut and shock absorber that is mounted inside a coil spring. The MacPherson strut replaces an upper control arm and is used in most front-wheel-drive cars as well as on some rear wheel drive vehicles. MacPherson struts are also used on the rear suspension of many vehicles. Rear struts are called Chapmen struts.

I'm sure there has been some debate over Double Wishbones Vs. Struts. From a Mazda Millenia add, they claim that Double Wishbone suspension offers 30% less friction than the conventional Strut setup.
Old 01-29-2001, 01:05 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
The 5th generation Nissan Maxima uses MacPherson struts, coiling springs, tube shocks, anti-roll bar.

The front suspension of any car is a critical subsystem because it performs so many vital functions. In addition to its role of suspending the front-wheel assemblies from the frame, isolating road harshness and handling braking and steering functions, front-wheel-drive front suspensions must control front wheels that are powered by the drive train.

The MacPherson strut design has become popular because it takes up very little space. It allows more engine room and if the car is equipped with rear struts, it allows more trunk and rear seat room. A MacPherson strut front suspension is a combination strut and shock absorber that is mounted inside a coil spring. The MacPherson strut replaces an upper control arm and is used in most front-wheel-drive cars as well as on some rear wheel drive vehicles. MacPherson struts are also used on the rear suspension of many vehicles. Rear struts are called Chapmen struts.

I'm sure there has been some debate over Double Wishbones Vs. Struts. From a Mazda Millenia add, they claim that Double Wishbone suspension offers 30% less friction than the conventional Strut setup.

Performance Handling= double wishbone suspension......

they use it on IS 300, older generation civics, but some have said that it does not make that much of difference between New civic(MacPherson strut ) than the older version in handling wise.

I doubt that!!!!

Tim