5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GLE or SE

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 07:02 AM

GLE or SE

i've pretty much decided to get a Maxima. My father has a 97 GLE and its great. I've also decided I want an 02 or 03.

The silver, titanium, and gray are great colors

What I haven't decided yet is which model to buy.

First things first... I want a sunroof and automatic

I'm pretty sure I want to get leather, climate control and bose stereo.

Now I'm between a GLE with the roof or maybe loading up an SE.

What I'm concerned with is 1. is the suspension too harsh on the SE??? Is the GLE sporty enough??

my feelings are that I want something sporty with luxuary. I want the car to ride smoothly and be comfortable above all else. I'm not going to modify the car.

The other question is if I was considering the SE, am I going to have trouble finding an SE with leather, moonroof, climate control and stereo??

I'm looking to spend between 15-20. I still have to sell my car 98 VW Beetle but hopefulyl will be joining your ranks soon

Chris
Old 06-13-2003, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get the SE fully loaded. It'll be cheaper then the GLE.
As for suspension the GLE is ok, a lil floaty. If you don't like that feeling then get a SE.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:08 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
Get the SE fully loaded. It'll be cheaper then the GLE.
As for suspension the GLE is ok, a lil floaty. If you don't like that feeling then get a SE.
and besides...two weeks after driving the SE or GLE stock, ur gonna wanna rip it all out and replace it with better struts and lowering springs to get rid of the floaty feel which the SE still exhibits...

all I can say is Maxspeeds/KYB GR-2's...

now where's Rob when you need him to throw in his Teins comments

Old 06-13-2003, 07:19 AM

Re: GLE or SE

Hi Chris Welcome to the .org

Owner of 2000 SE (Sold)
Current Owner of 2003 GLE

SE Suspension - sporty and firm, but your gonna need to add a RSB still to really keep the car planted on the road if your an agressive driver. 225/50/17

GLE Suspension - more of a smooth ride, (comparing to my cousins 2k2 Jag X-Type) its more floaty. Hardly feel any bumps on the road. But can not handle speeds of 90+. 215/50/17

Originally posted by ChrisK327
What I'm concerned with is 1. is the suspension too harsh on the SE??? Is the GLE sporty enough?? my feelings are that I want something sporty with luxuary. I want the car to ride smoothly and be comfortable above all else. I'm not going to modify the car.
Depends on your local dealer. I know my local dealer helped my dad and I locate the car we wanted. You can also check other dealers.

The other question is if I was considering the SE, am I going to have trouble finding an SE with leather, moonroof, climate control and stereo??
Well between the 15k-20k and you Beetle I dont see why you cant get the Max for that price..my dad and I got ours for 23k and change.

I'm looking to spend between 15-20. I still have to sell my car 98 VW Beetle but hopefulyl will be joining your ranks soon
Chris
Old 06-13-2003, 08:14 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

all I can say is Maxspeeds/KYB GR-2's...

now where's Rob when you need him to throw in his Teins comments
Man, am i going to have to read every damn post you make to make sure you are not flaming the BEST SUSPENSION EVER (non-coilover) for the max! (that would be the TEIN/GR-2s)

Old 06-13-2003, 08:30 AM

The GLE will be cheaper with all the stuff you want. The GLE has chrome colored door handles and door trim. The SE has body colored. Several people who own SE's have told me they prefer the chrome look on my GLE. You will have to pay for the spoiler on the GLE which will cost $450-500 from the dealer. It's still cheaper than a similar equipted SE. The SE's suspension isn't harsh at all and like others mentioned the GLE's suspension just plain floats. It feels dangerously floaty at high speeds. Not a big deal though. With a RSB on the GLE it'll make a world of difference and it's an easy install and very cheap. Your probably gonna want to change out both the SE and GLE's shocks and springs anyway.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:02 AM

Everyone seems to be telling me to swap out the suspension. I'm not going to do that... so barring that it sounds like I may want to look into the SE as oppose to the GLE. Right now, I'm just looking to find anyway to get one for a decent price. I want to buy from a dealer, to get the warranty. but right now, locating a desirable one, at a desireable price is difficult

Prices seem very high

Chris
Old 06-13-2003, 09:12 AM

Regardless of purchase, you will have to buy a RSB. Either model leans way too much while cornering. I'm not talking high speed race style cornering. I'm taling about normal off ramps and such. The RSB only costs about $115 and it takes about an hour to install. The SE with the options you mentioned will definately cost more, but if you are not going to change the suspension the SE would be the better choice. As you read through maxima.org though, you'll notice that one aspect that is very bad on any model of Maxima is that the suspension is horrible. It will cost no more than $800 or so to replace the stock suspension and you will get a lifetime warranty on the parts and labor and you will be much happier.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:13 AM
jjs

Prices seem very high

Chris
Just wait until you actually bought one...

then compare price to resale!!!

Old 06-13-2003, 09:21 AM

Everyone seems to be telling me to swap out the suspension. I'm not going to do that... so barring that it sounds like I may want to look into the SE as oppose to the GLE. Right now, I'm just looking to find anyway to get one for a decent price. I want to buy from a dealer, to get the warranty. but right now, locating a desirable one, at a desireable price is difficult

Prices seem very high

Chris

Check your private messages...

I also agree with the other posts. SE is probably the way you want to go. The dealer is going to be more $$ plus the car will have the warrenty if it falls in the 3yr/36000miles category. You also save a lot of money on taxes by going through private party.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by jjs

Just wait until you actually bought one...

then compare price to resale!!!

Hey JJS seems like your AE has more wheel gap in the back vs the front, what is up with that? Usually seems stock max's have more wheel gap in the front. Is your suspension stock? Nice AE.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:00 AM
jjs

Originally posted by JAKE02

Hey JJS seems like your AE has more wheel gap in the back vs the front, what is up with that? Usually seems stock max's have more wheel gap in the front. Is your suspension stock? Nice AE.
Thanks!

Actually I think it more a photographic illusion. I am running 225/55's which actually fill the gap more than is shown by the 'shadow' of the wheel well. As you can tell by the sidemarkers, etc. it was beginning to get a bit dusky when this shot was taken so the lighting could be 'playing tricks'. As for the suspension, yep, bone stock.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:07 AM

I'm pretty happy with the suspension on my SE. It is a little harsh over rough pavement but not as bad as it was the first 1,000 miles. It seems to have softened up a touch (maybe I'm just getting used to it though-a distinct possibility).

I'm wondering what the difference is between the stock suspension and the aftermarket suspensions recommended here? When my shocks/struts do wear out I want something that isn't at all harsh. Are any of your set-ups any stiffer/bone jarring than stock?

Also, does the RSB come with any poly-urethane bushings? I hate the way those squeak all the time so any performance gains would not be worth it to me if I had to live with a noisy suspension.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:56 AM

If you want Auto, then what's the point of getting an SE? Go for GLE and save a few bucks over a loaded SE.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Jules Maximus

Also, does the RSB come with any poly-urethane bushings? I hate the way those squeak all the time so any performance gains would not be worth it to me if I had to live with a noisy suspension.
Yes the RSB has Poly bushings, but nobody here on the org has had any problems with RSB noise.

As far as harshness. I too had the same concern. I have many coworkers that have aftermarket shocks and springs and I hate the kidney jaring riding experience. The Tokico's and H&R combo provide me with much better handling, but suprisingly the ride isn't far from stock on bumpy roads. It also get's rid of all the excess wheel gap that our cars have so much of. Find someone who has different setups in your area that are members here and take a ride. I promise you, the tokico/H&R setup is not harsh at all.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:30 AM
vqman

Originally posted by Virus
Regardless of purchase, you will have to buy a RSB. Either model leans way too much while cornering. I'm not talking high speed race style cornering. I'm taling about normal off ramps and such. The RSB only costs about $115 and it takes about an hour to install. The SE with the options you mentioned will definately cost more, but if you are not going to change the suspension the SE would be the better choice. As you read through maxima.org though, you'll notice that one aspect that is very bad on any model of Maxima is that the suspension is horrible. It will cost no more than $800 or so to replace the stock suspension and you will get a lifetime warranty on the parts and labor and you will be much happier.
Chris don't listen to this nonsense...

for a front wheel drive grocery getter, the SE is more than competent anything but "high speed race style cornering"

you will find most of the people here are into modding their cars, I, like you, have better things to spend my hard earned cash on...

you do not need a RSB.

an RSB will help handling, but it is by no means a necessity...

I get by fine without it, and so does my mom (2k2 SE) and a friend of mine (2k3 SE)

In Fact: 99% of all Maxima's sold get by just fine without a RSB.

If you want a slightly sporty feel, get the SE, if you want a slightly luxury feel, get the GLE.

hope this helps

-vq

Old 06-13-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by VQMAN

Chris don't listen to this nonsense...

for a front wheel drive grocery getter, the SE is more than competent anything but "high speed race style cornering"

you will find most of the people here are into modding their cars, I, like you, have better things to spend my hard earned cash on...

you do not need a RSB.

an RSB will help handling, but it is by no means a necessity...

I get by fine without it, and so does my mom (2k2 SE) and a friend of mine (2k3 SE)

In Fact: 99% of all Maxima's sold get by just fine without a RSB.

If you want a slightly sporty feel, get the SE, if you want a slightly luxury feel, get the GLE.

hope this helps

-vq
Of course you won't die if you don't get an RSB, but your driving experience will be much more pleasurable. People that don't have them installed on their Maxima's don't know what they are missing. Your car will stay almost completely upright when driving on curvy roads or roundabouts. I've driven both the SE and GLE and both have way too much body roll under normal driving positions. Before purchasing try to find someone from maxima.org to take you for a ride so that you can see the difference.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:40 AM
vqman

Originally posted by Virus
Of course you won't die if you don't get an RSB, but your driving experience will be much more pleasurable. People that don't have them installed on their Maxima's don't know what they are missing. Your car will stay almost completely upright when driving on curvy roads or roundabouts. I've driven both the SE and GLE and both have way too much body roll under normal driving positions. Before purchasing try to find someone from maxima.org to take you for a ride so that you can see the difference.

I plan on investing my money in something (other than RSB) that will allow me to one day afford a BMW M5 or an AMG E55...

I'll take you for a drive, you don't know what you are missing..

-vq

Old 06-13-2003, 11:45 AM

Why create a fallacy? Of course a BMW and many other cars will handle better than a Maxima. While your driving around in your BMW, drop by my $525,000 Estate. It's all about what you'd rather spend your money on.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It sounds like there is a wide variety of opinions here which is always a good thing. As for me, I have gotten over the boy racer idea when I had my SER. I decided that the price and compromises in modifying a car isn't worth the performance gains in my opinion.
What I've gotten from this is that the SE is fine and comfortable for some people and the GLE is as well. I need to drive both. THe reason why I wanted opinions is that I'm not 100% sure I cna tell from the test drive whether the SE's ride is going to get annoying unless its extreme.

Maybe the GLE with teh sway bar is a good idea
Old 06-13-2003, 12:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It sounds like there is a wide variety of opinions here which is always a good thing. As for me, I have gotten over the boy racer idea when I had my SER. I decided that the price and compromises in modifying a car isn't worth the performance gains in my opinion.
What I've gotten from this is that the SE is fine and comfortable for some people and the GLE is as well. I need to drive both. THe reason why I wanted opinions is that I'm not 100% sure I cna tell from the test drive whether the SE's ride is going to get annoying unless its extreme.

I started the boy racer stuff at age 32 You are 100% correct in stating that the price and compromises in modifying the car aren't worth the hassle. To me personally, the RSB is more of a safety issue. The SE definately has a better suspension. The GLE has more options for less money. They charge alot for the suspension. Leather and Bose is a $1,400 option in the SE while it's standard in the GLE. The SE's suspension does soften up over a month or two and as I mentioned before the GLE's suspension is very bouncy while driving highway speeds when hitting dips in the road.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:08 PM

The GLE was a no-brainer for me. I bought it new so it may have been a bigger difference in price between a new GLE & new SE than used. My GLE came with sunroof, heated leather power front seats (yes both of them), AT, and other goodies for about the same price as the SE w/o that stuff. I use it as a DD and not a race car. I love the smooth ride.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:54 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

The SE has a higher top speed
Old 06-13-2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Quicksilver
The SE has a higher top speed
135mph is good enough for me
Old 06-13-2003, 09:11 PM

When I was looking used, the only way to get everything I wanted was to go with the GLE. I'm not into mods and I'm also not into driving 120+ so stock GLE is fine with me.

However, the spoiler is a MUST! I love the look with the spoiler and you can get a spoiler from spoilerdepot.com for $199 with the kit to install it. Mine came with a spoiler but if it didn't, I would have installed one myself.

2K1 GLE Sterling Mist
Spoiler
Tint
Homelink

LOVE THAT CAR
Old 06-13-2003, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by VQMAN

I plan on investing my money in something (other than RSB) that will allow me to one day afford a BMW M5 or an AMG E55...

I'll take you for a drive, you don't know what you are missing..

-vq
Let's see - $120 invested at 10% annual return every year (good luck), and you buy your M5 in a mere...63 years.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:51 PM

I've had both: 01 SE/AE, 02 SE (still own) and 03 GLE (traded for 04 SL). Hands down, SE. I regret not getting the 04 in an SE. It is personal preference, of course, but I could not get used to the float in the GLE. Didn't have it long enough to install a RSB, but did install a FSTB. I didn't like the lack of control I felt at higher speeds. I want my car to feel controlled. I've done the FSTB, RSTB, and RSB on my 02 SE and they are worth the effort and really not too costly. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's kind of like when your in the GLE and you get into the 70, 80, 90 MPH range and hit slight curves or bumps, it's kind of like part of the body is detached, i.e., the "floaty" feel. I did like the GLE white on black guages, highly visible day or night, but after living with both and making the mistake in the 04 when I had an opportunity, I would never get the "luxury tuned" suspension again. Granted the 04 SL is better controlled thant the GLE, I've driven both the 04 SL and SE. You feel totally in control of the SE. Not so for the SL. You have to get what you want. Spend serious time in both at lower speeds and normal roads, you won't be able to tell too much difference. But get into some curves and higher speeds, then the differences, and merits of the SE, will shine through.

Good luck!

srm