5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just installed Tokicos..... :=)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 07:50 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Just installed Tokicos..... :=) & PIaa Crystal Ions

I just had my Tokicos installed at RPM Motorworks today (Thanks to Irvine 78). I must say that a lot of you have bashed them, and I cant understand why. Yes they are stiff, and thats what I wanted. My car now handles the way it should. I also got some X drilled rotors while I was at it...

Just figured I would chime in on these !
Old 06-14-2003, 08:07 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Old 06-14-2003, 08:11 PM
I miss the .org!

Hey Kloogy, you got those rotors in front/back? From where and how much? I need a rear set...
Old 06-14-2003, 08:12 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Powerslot. I have no idea where these guys got them from. Rears are same as 2k1
Old 06-14-2003, 08:16 PM
I miss the .org!

That's what I thought (about the rears), but then someone tried to contradict me...anyways...thanks for the info.

Now you just need some of these :
Old 06-14-2003, 08:18 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
That's what I thought (about the rears), but then someone tried to contradict me...anyways...thanks for the info.

Now you just need some of these :
Old 06-14-2003, 08:23 PM
I miss the .org!

You didn't see those on my ride yet?...but I need some rotors in the back so it looks more even.

But enough hijacking your thread...good decision on the shocks! My Maxspeeds bounce like crazy on the stock ones...
Old 06-14-2003, 08:28 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

You didn't see those on my ride yet?...but I need some rotors in the back so it looks more even.

But enough hijacking your thread...good decision on the shocks! My Maxspeeds bounce like crazy on the stock ones...
I also just added Piaa Crystal Ion fogs like you today !
Old 06-14-2003, 08:30 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Old 06-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Just installed Tokicos..... :=) & PIaa Crystal Ions

Originally posted by kloogy
I just had my Tokicos installed at RPM Motorworks today (Thanks to Irvine 78). I must say that a lot of you have bashed them, and I cant understand why. Yes they are stiff, and thats what I wanted. My car now handles the way it should. I also got some X drilled rotors while I was at it...

Just figured I would chime in on these !
I like my Toks as well. Go figure!?!?
Old 06-14-2003, 08:41 PM
I miss the .org!

Ah...lookin' good...do you have Superplasmas in the clearance too? If so, we got the exact same headlight setup...haha...

Hey is the front license plate optional in Cali?
Old 06-14-2003, 08:43 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Ah...lookin' good...do you have Superplasmas in the clearance too? If so, we got the exact same headlight setup...haha...

Hey is the front license plate optional in Cali?
Yes we do. No its not optional in Cali. Already got 1 ticket for it.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:04 PM

yeah.. here in Texas too... I still drive without one though.. hehe..
Old 06-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes you see, this is why you guys should just get Teins and get it over with. Hope you enjoy the setup Kloogy, I too was wondering what the big deal was with Toks and why every1 bashes them, they seem just fine on mine

PS: Get some Teins, they are still lower then the cut maxspeeds ya got sitting around
Old 06-14-2003, 09:10 PM

Nice "new" toys you got there....
Old 06-14-2003, 09:36 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally posted by HitManSE

Yes you see, this is why you guys should just get Teins and get it over with.

PS: Get some Teins, they are still lower then the cut maxspeeds ya got sitting around
My Teins are sitting here waiting to be installed. I'm still debating whether I want shocks/struts now, or if I'm gonna continue to wait for adjustables.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:47 PM

Ok here is how the adjustable thing goes. Your only "resonable" choice for the time being is the modified AGX's from cattman. Please dont make the mistake of installing them on OEM sturts, just ask toastermax how that feels! Ive gotten a hold of KYB and nothing is even in R&D for atleast 2 yrs for the 5th gen AGX's. Even if they start R&D in 2yrs time it will take a minimum of 3-4yrs be4 they are out. So if your waiting for those, your gonna have to hold on a long time man. Your other 2 choices for the time being are the Tein Coilover for like $1200 of the JIC's for $1800. Id just get the KYB-GR2 sturts and slap em on. The ride with those isnt bad and is better then Toks from what ive heard, but im gonna switch over just to see what the hype is about when I get my 03. So your best bet is either the modded AGX's or the Tein coilover for now. Btw I sae the thread for were you guys got the wilwood brake setup a while about but can not find the link. If you got it saved somewere can you please post it
Old 06-14-2003, 09:47 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

looks sweet kloogy
Old 06-14-2003, 10:34 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Once I get all my stuff in, I will also be going to RPM on irvine's suggestion. How was the work they did? and better yet how are the people there?
Old 06-14-2003, 10:49 PM

Looks good Kloogy....I like the rims, my brother has the same ones on his E36 M3.

As for the shocks, I ordered Cattman AGX's last week and they were delivered, but no one was home to sign. I am having second thoughts now after doing some research(I wish I would have known search was back on earlier)on how they work with 5th Gen Eibachs. How much did you pay for your Tokicos???
Old 06-14-2003, 11:23 PM

The Agx's have to be paired off with 4th gen springs since they are 4th gen agx's slightly modified to fit the 5th gens.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:33 PM

Re: Just installed Tokicos..... :=) & PIaa Crystal Ions

Hey Kloogy! Thanks for the input. I've been thinking lately about replacing the stock shocks, but I really don't need them yet. I've had on my Maxspeeds for about 10K miles now w/ the stock shocks without any problems. I started a thread a while back on the relative handling benefits of shocks vs. other suspensions mods, but only one person responded.

I've had the Ion crystal fogs on now for over a year...I love them!

Tony
Old 06-14-2003, 11:57 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I remember you teling us Tony that you had them. I finally blew one of my Super plasma Piaas, and had a chance to have these slapped on. I just got back from some nice dark backroads, and I love them more. You can see them lighting up the road for sure ! I love them !
Old 06-15-2003, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by maximadave
looks sweet kloogy
Old 06-15-2003, 02:19 AM
I miss the .org!

Ok here is how the adjustable thing goes. Your only "resonable" choice for the time being is the modified AGX's from cattman. Please dont make the mistake of installing them on OEM sturts, just ask toastermax how that feels! Ive gotten a hold of KYB and nothing is even in R&D for atleast 2 yrs for the 5th gen AGX's. Even if they start R&D in 2yrs time it will take a minimum of 3-4yrs be4 they are out. So if your waiting for those, your gonna have to hold on a long time man. Your other 2 choices for the time being are the Tein Coilover for like $1200 of the JIC's for $1800. Id just get the KYB-GR2 sturts and slap em on. The ride with those isnt bad and is better then Toks from what ive heard, but im gonna switch over just to see what the hype is about when I get my 03. So your best bet is either the modded AGX's or the Tein coilover for now. Btw I sae the thread for were you guys got the wilwood brake setup a while about but can not find the link. If you got it saved somewere can you please post it
Hm...good point...so Tokico Blues or KYB GR-2's? Cheapest I've seen the KYB's is little under $310 shipped...
Old 06-15-2003, 02:31 AM

Hm...good point...so Tokico Blues or KYB GR-2's? Cheapest I've seen the KYB's is little under $310 shipped...
The GR-2s you can find for like 260ish but shipped should be well under 300
Old 06-15-2003, 03:43 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

I think Gr2's are get too soft after a few thousand miles...
Old 06-15-2003, 06:52 AM

Looks good man. Nice rims.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:19 AM

Kloogy, I have the same set up Maxspeeds/Tokiko's and I think it feels fine. When I replaced my stock struts, I was pleasantly surprised at the difference in the handling.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I think Gr2's are get too soft after a few thousand miles...
Has yet to be proven, then again Ive heard the same thing about the Toks after 10K so I dont know which is better
Old 06-15-2003, 03:21 PM

Has yet to be proven, then again Ive heard the same thing about the Toks after 10K so I dont know which is better
I have the Maxspeed/ GR-2 combo and from what I've read the Tokicos are very similar. Probably just comes down to what color you like better. Blue or Silver?
Old 06-15-2003, 04:04 PM

I think that this whole Tokico thing is just bs. I still dont understand why every1 knocks on em, They are plenty stiff and were actually hell the 1st week when both the Teins and Toks were new. Now they are still stiff but I still have no complaints on the setup.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by wildmanal

I have the Maxspeed/ GR-2 combo and from what I've read the Tokicos are very similar. Probably just comes down to what color you like better. Blue or Silver?
For some reason I had it in my head that GR-2s are black. I am not sure why
Old 06-16-2003, 12:08 AM
I miss the .org!

The GR-2s you can find for like 260ish but shipped should be well under 300
I'd probably end up goin' witht the KYB's since they're cheaper than the Toks. General consensus on here has been that they're better too? Not a question, just an observation, since I personally have no idea either way.

Where can I find the cheapest GR-2's and Toks for that matter? The last KYB GD fell through...
Old 06-16-2003, 12:13 AM

The thing is, either Tokico blue nor KYB Gr-2 that are made for 5th gen maximas are really performance oriented dampers. So either one will eventually blow or get worn out quickly if paired them up with aftermarket springs. And this is proven, search around, ppl have blown tokicos with eibach, H&R, cut springs...etc. don't even mention Tein!

So there is no real difference in this case, either one will do fine for short period of time, then bounciness comes!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by MaxTuner
The thing is, either Tokico blue nor KYB Gr-2 that are made for 5th gen maximas are really performance oriented dampers. So either one will eventually blow or get worn out quickly if paired them up with aftermarket springs. And this is proven, search around, ppl have blown tokicos with eibach, H&R, cut springs...etc. don't even mention Tein!

So there is no real difference in this case, either one will do fine for short period of time, then bounciness comes!!!
True BUT they are still a hell of alot better then OEM. Should hold up for atleast a good 10-15K. At one point or another im gonna end up getting JIC's anyway so these should hold up just fine until that point is reached.

Triple8Sol: I guess you got to wait just a bit for another GD to show up, I think of the the guys were selling the toks for like 260 at that fixxed price. Its the 1 were he says ask for boomer and tell him your from the .org so its one of those 3 that mention that. Either that of gotta wait again. Ill try to find it.

Edit: Ok got it...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....KYB+Group+deal

Should be it, kinda old but I think the guy is still selling it Give it a shot.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:53 AM
I miss the .org!

HitManSE: Good lookin' out...I'll check into that. I think for now I may just stick with the stockers for awhile longer, until I can find a great deal...

Kloogy: sorry for whoring up your thread...I'm done now...
Old 06-16-2003, 08:17 PM

True BUT they are still a hell of alot better then OEM. Should hold up for atleast a good 10-15K. At one point or another im gonna end up getting JIC's anyway so these should hold up just fine until that point is reached.

Triple8Sol: I guess you got to wait just a bit for another GD to show up, I think of the the guys were selling the toks for like 260 at that fixxed price. Its the 1 were he says ask for boomer and tell him your from the .org so its one of those 3 that mention that. Either that of gotta wait again. Ill try to find it.

Edit: Ok got it...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....KYB+Group+deal

Should be it, kinda old but I think the guy is still selling it Give it a shot.
Are you sure? my experience tells me that mildly used tokico blues are softer than SE OEM shocks, I know someone will back me up , but he is no longer here but we did the swap together! I think that's when ppl started bashing tokicos!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

giavoni,
If you find your rims, rotors and ion fogs missing one morning...dont blame me!
Old 06-17-2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by MaxTuner

Are you sure? my experience tells me that mildly used tokico blues are softer than SE OEM shocks, I know someone will back me up , but he is no longer here but we did the swap together! I think that's when ppl started bashing tokicos!
My @ss they are softer then OEM SE struts which btw are made by tokico. Even if you take place the struts side by side and compress the OEM strut by itself to the bottom and the Tok Blue right after. The Blue is alot stiffer then the OEM. They sure as hell fell alot better then the struts that were OEM so whoever said that just has it in their mind that Toks really suck (alot more then they really do) Now im not saying they are the best, I know they are not but comon. Why would some1 replace struts to only get softer ones? Dont take my response the wrong way, im not trying to flame on you just what you you stated is wrong. I dont know how mildly used your talkin about but ill confirm if they are softer then OEM again when I pull them out in a few weeks. If im wrong then im wrong, I can accept that.

Quick Reply: Just installed Tokicos..... :=)