5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help needed with clutch issue on 6-speed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 02:12 PM

Help needed with clutch issue on 6-speed.

Hey guys,

Here is what happening with my car. I had the clutch TSB done about a month ago. Right after I got the car from the dealer I noticed that I was hearing some metal vibrating sound coming from underneath the car when I would floor it from low rpms.
I brougth the car back to the dealer and they fixed it by adjusting the heatshield. They said was making that sound. I was happy because the noise went away.
Everything was going fine, but couple days later I started hearing this creaking, clicking noise coming when I am engaging or already in gear AND pressing on the gas. It feels like this noise is coming right from under the cluch pedal. At first I thought that pressing on the pedal makes this noise, but this noise doesn't come up if you just pressing on the pedal. It only happens when you do it in combination with clutch pedal and gas pedal.

What could that be? It is sooooo annoying to drive with that noise.
I brougth the car to the dealer with this issue and it has been two days and they can't figure it out. They leaving the car for a third day to try to figure it out. I am afraid that they might not be able to fix it.

What can be making that noise? Can that be a clutch cylinder?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:25 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i wish i knew what it was. I have been debating the clutch TSB since i got my car. I dont think im going to do it. Please keep us posted on what the dealer says...

Old 06-18-2003, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
i wish i knew what it was. I have been debating the clutch TSB since i got my car. I dont think im going to do it. Please keep us posted on what the dealer says...
Yeah I am kinda regreting doing that TSB as well now. Especially if they can't fix that noise. Clutch did feel better though after the TSB.

I will post what they will find, if anything.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:10 PM

Clutch Noise

I have this same problem. I first noticed it in March while in stop & go traffic in Atlanta. I just KNEW it was my FSTB hitting the intake manifold. Well since then, I have figured it out (I think). It sounds to me like the sounds comes from the spring holding the clutch up. When the clutch is pressed (spring under tension), i get the noise. I can ever recreate it with the engine off (by pressing down on the clutch with varying speeds. Now, is it enough to go to the dealer with, I am not sure. Go check it out for yourself and let me know if it it the same thing.

Elon
Old 06-18-2003, 01:21 PM

Re: Clutch Noise

Originally posted by 6spd_Hayes
I have this same problem. I first noticed it in March while in stop & go traffic in Atlanta. I just KNEW it was my FSTB hitting the intake manifold. Well since then, I have figured it out (I think). It sounds to me like the sounds comes from the spring holding the clutch up. When the clutch is pressed (spring under tension), i get the noise. I can ever recreate it with the engine off (by pressing down on the clutch with varying speeds. Now, is it enough to go to the dealer with, I am not sure. Go check it out for yourself and let me know if it it the same thing.

Elon
I do have noise when engaging in gear(pressing on the clutch and letting it off while applying the gas) and when just driving and letting off the gas and then pressing it again(without touching the clutch pedal). I get this annoying kinda lound creaking, clicking noise.

I just talked to my dealer and they don't know for sure what it is. They think that it is some bushing. But I think it has to do something with clutch assembly.
They giving me the car back today and they didn't fix the noise, cause they not really sure what is causing it.

Let me know if you get this fixed.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:25 PM

Noise

"Creaking" is the best word to describe this noise.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:37 PM

Re: Noise

"Creaking" is the best word to describe this noise.
Yeah I am pretty sure me and you have the same noise. It is creaking noise that is driving me crazy.

I will tell the dealer about the spring that holds the clutch and see what will they say. They saying that it can't be coming from clutch. But I think they have no idea what they talking about.

BTW, did you have the clutch TSB done? This noise started happening some time after I had it done.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:47 PM

Re: Re: Noise

Originally posted by Dany
BTW, did you have the clutch TSB done? This noise started happening some time after I had it done.
No, I haven't had the clutch TSB done yet but I can tell you the sound started at my 20,000 mile mark on my odometer. I just went to the parking lot and leaned in under the dash. When pressing on the clutch with my hand, the sound it definetly coming from the coiled spring when releasing the clutch. If it isn't that, then your guess is as good as mine. I am going to try some WD-40 on it later tonight to see if that quiets it down some. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Noise

No, I haven't had the clutch TSB done yet but I can tell you the sound started at my 20,000 mile mark on my odometer. I just went to the parking lot and leaned in under the dash. When pressing on the clutch with my hand, the sound it definetly coming from the coiled spring when releasing the clutch. If it isn't that, then your guess is as good as mine. I am going to try some WD-40 on it later tonight to see if that quiets it down some. Good luck!
Yeah that is what I thought it was at first too, that pedal was making that sound, BUT that creaking sound doesn't come up if I am just pressing on the clutch pedal, without engaging it in gear while moving. So if I am at the stop with engine ON or OFF and press on clutch pedal, no sound comes up. It only comes when I am about to drive and while driving and pressing on the gas and when letting off.
In other words it only comes up under load.
I think your noise might be different, but who knows.

I got the car back and they didn't find anything so far. I am going to go back in a week or so that they can look at it again and try to fix it.
I am thinking that it might be something with the clutch assembly they installed when doing that clutch TSB. Or they just messed something up while do it.
I do agree with you that it does sound like spring creaking. But question is what spring and where it is? Does clutch assembly has a spring inside of it?
Old 06-19-2003, 08:30 AM

Noise

...But question is what spring and where it is? Does clutch assembly has a spring inside of it?
Below is a pic of the spring tensioner in my clutch assemby.

I know it creaks when letting out the clutch but I also hear a louder different noise when driving out of the same area. It can still be described as a creak just a more 'intensive' creak (if that makes any sense).
Old 06-19-2003, 11:13 AM

I know it creaks when letting out the clutch but I also hear a louder different noise when driving out of the same area. It can still be described as a creak just a more 'intensive' creak (if that makes any sense).
Hey thanks a lot for the pic. I will check it out today. It is just strange that I get no noise at all when car is not moving and I am pushing on clutch pedal. I only get it when letting out the clutch when moving and also when driving and applying gas without touching the clutch pedal.

Also, I was thinking that there might be something that making that creaking noise in the clutch assembly. By clutch assembly I mean not the pedal, but the clutch itself(like disk, etc.)

I will let you know what I will find.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Boost.....

Re: Re: Noise

Hey thanks a lot for the pic. I will check it out today. It is just strange that I get no noise at all when car is not moving and I am pushing on clutch pedal. I only get it when letting out the clutch when moving and also when driving and applying gas without touching the clutch pedal.

Also, I was thinking that there might be something that making that creaking noise in the clutch assembly. By clutch assembly I mean not the pedal, but the clutch itself(like disk, etc.)

I will let you know what I will find.

Old 06-20-2003, 10:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Noise

I just went to the parking lot and leaned in under the dash. When pressing on the clutch with my hand, the sound it definetly coming from the coiled spring when releasing the clutch. If it isn't that, then your guess is as good as mine. I am going to try some WD-40 on it later tonight to see if that quiets it down some. Good luck!
I looked at my clutch pedal and I don't think it is making that sound, because I can press on it and no sound will come up. I only get the sound when moving.

My dad listened to that sound standing outside while I was slowing taking off and he could hear that loud creaking sound. I am pretty sure it is coming from the clutch assembly(not the pedal).
They did work on it, so I am assuming the could have messed something up.

Now my question is, I don't know much how clutch is desgined and what goes into it. I know there is a disk and pressure plate and some other things. I just want to know what can make that sound there, are there any other things there? Dealer seems to be clueless and they telling me it can't be the clutch. And I am pretty sure it is, because it is started happening after the clutch TSB was performed on my car
Old 07-09-2003, 11:49 AM

So did you have any luck fixing that noise? I still don't think that my noise is coming from the clutch pedal, because no noise comes up when just pressing on the clutch pedal while the car is not moving.
I am taking the car back to dealer next week and hopefully they can find and fix the noise.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:04 PM

I had the clutch TSB performed about 600 miles ago and I havent had any of the noises that is being described. The whistling noise is gone from before and there have been no problems. However, after the TSB I didn notice that something near my clutch is making noise when I hit uneven surfaces like rolling over a speed bump or rolling up a steep incline. It feels like something is actually hitting the ground, I feel it strongly through the clutch. For now i'll assume its the plastic cover below the tranny.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here is the part that is making the noise on my clutch.

It makes a clicking sound when engaging and disengaging. The sound started recently and is driving me crazy.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Lumbee1
Here is the part that is making the noise on my clutch.

It makes a clicking sound when engaging and disengaging. The sound started recently and is driving me crazy.
Hey thanks for the pic I think mine is coming from the same place, at least it sounds like it is. One question I have, do you get this noise when the car is not driving but just pressing on the clutch pedal? I only get this creaking/clicking noise while engaging and driving.