5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just installed Teins and other mods>( Long feedback)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:12 AM

Just installed Teins and other mods>( Long feedback)

Well the big day was yesterday (from 1pm to 7pm), and this is what I did to my Super Black 2003 Maxima SE/TE:

Mods:

Tein S.Tech Springs
KYB GR2 Shocks
Stillen Adj.Rear Sway Bar
Stillen FSTB
Stillen RSTB
Power Slot Slotted Rotors (Front)
Hawk HPS Brake Pads (Front)
*Alignment done*

The Tein springs dropped the Max pretty damn even, though it seems the front settled a little lower in the front than the rear, and I'm wondering how much the rear will settle. Realizing there is more weight in the front of the car, I guess this is expected. The car DOES NOT looked slammed at all, it looks even, much more than Eibachs or H&R--by far! The car looks very aggressive and smart--especially in Black--I really mean it looks bad ***, and has already turned a few heads.
Now the ride, its very comfortable, and the ride quality is not that different from stock OEM SE ride quality-honest. Yes, it will transmit more bigger bumps or very uneven/rough roads. But on smooth roads and the highway its fantastic. No more floaty feeling, and steering response is much better, more like a sports car, rather than a 4x4 sedan.
I will have to get used to being lower to the ground, so it feels weird right now, but I was used to the 4X4 ride of before! No clearance problems, but please use common sense. The ride is NOT harsh, and is similar to OEM SE quality-but like I said, you will feel bigger bumps. The bottom line is, awesome drop, thats more even than the rest, and the ride quality is not thrown out the window. Oh yeah, you gotta cut the bump stops! However, the fronts did settle a little more than the rear--normal for other Tein users, I don't know??

The GR2's feel better than OEM--much more dampening force, and better ride quality. Quality Shocks.

Stillen Adj. Rear Sway Bar---Oh my God, Get one!! I fear no corners now! Dramatic difference, and with the Teins, the Max was transformed from a boat, to a car that feels like it rides on rails--awesome!! drives like a car half its size! For real! Lowering the center of gravity really does make a differnce!

The Stillen FSTB and RSTB complete tighten up the package.

Like many of you, my rotors were warped when I got the car, so i said screw it, rather than get them resurfaced and lose some of my braking power, I opted to get Power Slot Front rotors. A quality rotor, and it looks sharp with my titanium package wheels. The Hawk HPS brake pads have immediate bite, and leave very little brake dust, and are a vast improvment over OEM! I mean the brakes are right there now, NO fade at all--what great pads.

Had the Alignment done last night, and everything went right back to OEM Spec! No problem, it took 15 minutes. Camber adjusters/bolts, are NOT needed, so save your money.

So thats some feedback from me. And I must say, my Max has been completely transformed into a "true" sports sedan!! It looks awesome--very agressive, and I can't say that enough. I'll have pics soon, after this weekend.

P.S. Thanks to Alex at Southwest Auto Works and the Tire Rack for their excellent service!

Ryan

Old 06-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow you put a lot of stuff on all at one time. Definitly a night and day difference. Congrats. I envy you.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:47 AM

Its almost like a completley different car now, looks wise and in the especially handling aspect--amazing to say the least!
Yep, saved up $, and did it all at once-all in one shot!
Old 06-18-2003, 07:49 AM

do you have any before and after pics?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:12 AM

Not yet, have to wait until this Saturday! I have before pics, but the "after" pic's will be taken this Saturday. I will say this--it will be quite a contrast-for the better

Like I said, the Teins don't make it look "Slammed", it reminds me more of a Euro Grand Touring sedan now, as funny as that sounds. Very aggressive stance.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:20 AM

Congrats! Those mods will definately make a HUGE difference compared to stock. Enjoy....
Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 AM

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/drop.html

That's a picture of the drop that the springs do. The ride is definitely much better than OEM. It is NOT harsh like other springs/struts combinations. It does take some getting-used-to for getting in/out of the car, as it feels like you are getting into a Trans-Am or Corvette.

Congradulations on the work!!
Old 06-18-2003, 09:47 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Awesome man! I've got the same mods OTW to my door as we speak! Hope I can get them all done at one time as well...
Old 06-18-2003, 10:27 AM

Where did you get your front rotors from? I thought no one made them yet for the 2k2/3 Maxima's.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:05 AM

Re: Just installed Teins and other mods>( Long feedback)

Originally posted by Clean01MaxSE
I'm wondering how much the rear will settle. Realizing there is more weight in the front of the car, I guess this is expected.
I have the Teins and it settled more in the front than in the rear. The drop is even, it's just that the front looks lower than the rear. This is after ~1000 miles so I guess that's the way it'll stay.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:35 AM

Yes, with the Teins, the front settled a bit more than than the back, it looks a bit "raked", with a bit of a slope. Seeing the pics above, my front is lower than his!? Is this normal with other TEIN users.?
Old 06-18-2003, 11:40 AM

Oh yeah, I got the front rotors and Hawk front pads from the Tire Rack. They are Power Slot "Slotted Rotors". Got them in 3 days, and they are in stock for 02-03 Maxima's!
They work great, huge improvement over stock.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:36 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Yes, with the Teins, the front settled a bit more than than the back, it looks a bit "raked", with a bit of a slope. Seeing the pics above, my front is lower than his!? Is this normal with other TEIN users.?

My car looks even with Teins and GR2s..look at my sig..

Old 06-18-2003, 12:43 PM
NT2SHBBY

Oh yeah, I got the front rotors and Hawk front pads from the Tire Rack. They are Power Slot "Slotted Rotors". Got them in 3 days, and they are in stock for 02-03 Maxima's!
They work great, huge improvement over stock.
clean01..can u link me to the rotors for the 02-03's..when I go on the site, the 03 comes up with nothing and the 02 has brembo big brake kits for $3000....

Old 06-18-2003, 12:55 PM

NT2SHBBY try www.custommaxima.com or www.ptuning.com for the rotors and pads.
if you use p tuning dont insert your car info just browse the brake catagory under the alphabetic list for N nissan you will find the powerslots there and the pads
WHEELMAN
oh and i like the door pillars
Old 06-18-2003, 12:55 PM

I couldn't find it either.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:43 PM

You will not find the Power Slot Rotors and Hawk Pads on the Tire Rack Website (The website hasn't been updated yet I was told) Call the 888 number, speak to a rep, and tell them you have a 02-03 Maxima, they will confirm that they do have them, and in stock--trust me on this!
Also trust me in saying the stopping difference and the look of the slotted rotors is much improved than OEM! The Power Slot Rotors and Hawk Pads are quality products!! The Tire Rack also provides excellent service, no waiting around sh*t wondering where my stuff is type thing!
$190.00 ( Both Rotors)
$61.00 ( Front Pads)
$20.00 S/H)

Ask for Gil
Old 06-18-2003, 02:29 PM

Heh, I love how everyone thinks their drop is "even" while others are not on these cars. Some think the fender / tire gap being equal is "even", while the car has a rake in reality. If your lower rocker panels are even (parallel with the ground) then the car is truly even. The front fender lips are higher on the body than the rears---let's not forget that! It's a preference really--and the rake is ok because it looks allright, and actually even when the back of the car is loaded down.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:37 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by t56gen3
Heh, I love how everyone thinks their drop is "even" while others are not on these cars. Some think the fender / tire gap being equal is "even", while the car has a rake in reality. If your lower rocker panels are even (parallel with the ground) then the car is truly even. The front fender lips are higher on the body than the rears---let's not forget that! It's a preference really--and the rake is ok because it looks allright, and actually even when the back of the car is loaded down.
another non tein owner! I have seen all the drops on maxspeeds, H&Rs, Eibachs, sprints.. All im saying is that the teins are "the closest" to the perfect drop. IMO, any other non-coilover spring is not even close....

Old 06-18-2003, 02:43 PM

Judging by the pictures with your TEIN springs, I seriously doubt it will work with the Sarona body kit i am getting put on..

DAMN.. I need to take measurements..

ED
Old 06-18-2003, 03:00 PM

What happened to the CF door pillars installed thread??
Old 06-18-2003, 03:15 PM

i bet it got deleted
it was a waste everyone just jumped his case in there
WHEELMAN
Old 06-18-2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by studman
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/drop.html

...It does take some getting-used-to for getting in/out of the car, as it feels like you are getting into a Trans-Am or Corvette.

Is it REALLY that low that it is hard to get in and out of????? This may stop me from doing it as I HATED this about my Trans Am. Do you really have experiance with a T/A or Corvette to make this comparison?

I'm 6' and the comfort of getting in and out of the Max is HUGE for me. Can anyone comment on this?

Clean01MaxSE - Why didn't you get the rears too? Does having slots on front / no slots on back look stupid?
Old 06-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

wow, thats a lot for one day =]
Old 06-18-2003, 06:43 PM

No, actually it looks cool. From a distance you can hardly know the difference. It all blends together. It offers better performance over those crappy OEM rotors thats for sure. It adds a nice look.

Honestly, I just have to figure out why my front stance is a little lower than the rear with the Teins, it looks a bit raked. Maybe I was given the wrong KYB GR2 Front shocks or something?? I gotta figure this out!
Old 06-18-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by spta97
Is it REALLY that low that it is hard to get in and out of?????
Can anyone comment on this?
It's not that low where one should have probs. getting in/out. I've never sat in a Corvette or anything, but they seem way lower & the design of the seats probs is a factor in it too.

Clean01, I'm on Toks and like I mentioned earlier, it does look raked. Its not the shocks or anything like that.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:56 AM

No, actually it looks cool. From a distance you can hardly know the difference. It all blends together. It offers better performance over those crappy OEM rotors thats for sure. It adds a nice look.

Honestly, I just have to figure out why my front stance is a little lower than the rear with the Teins, it looks a bit raked. Maybe I was given the wrong KYB GR2 Front shocks or something?? I gotta figure this out!
Teins have a rake. They are designed to be that way.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:01 AM
NT2SHBBY

You will not find the Power Slot Rotors and Hawk Pads on the Tire Rack Website (The website hasn't been updated yet I was told) Call the 888 number, speak to a rep, and tell them you have a 02-03 Maxima, they will confirm that they do have them, and in stock--trust me on this!
Also trust me in saying the stopping difference and the look of the slotted rotors is much improved than OEM! The Power Slot Rotors and Hawk Pads are quality products!! The Tire Rack also provides excellent service, no waiting around sh*t wondering where my stuff is type thing!
$190.00 ( Both Rotors)
$61.00 ( Front Pads)
$20.00 S/H)

Ask for Gil

thanx homie...this was of great help to me...I shall order soon....

Wheelman thanx for the compliments....

Old 06-19-2003, 06:50 AM

KYB's on Backorder

Does anyone know if the KYB's are on Backorder???

DJKontakt's deal fell through, and the new Group Deal that Phoneix was working on seems to be on hold....

What's the deal with these things??

#2 Question:

I've got 5th Gen Teins in the box, but now I'm considering 4th gen modified AGX's from Cattmann.

Is it TRUE that the 4th Gen AGX's MUST be mated to 4th Gen springs???

Thanks in advance -- sorry for the postwhore....!!

gr
Old 06-19-2003, 08:38 AM

Is it REALLY that low that it is hard to get in and out of????? This may stop me from doing it as I HATED this about my Trans Am. Do you really have experiance with a T/A or Corvette to make this comparison?
It's around the same height as the T/A, but the seats in the Max aren't anywhere near as hard to get in and out of as a T/A. The T/A almost makes you lie down when you drive, whereas you are still sitting upright in the Max. My brother has a 99 T/A WS6 that I drive (and repair for him) occasionally. The floorboards are around the same height, but the Max is still just as easy to get in and out of as it was originally.

I'm 6' and the comfort of getting in and out of the Max is HUGE for me. Can anyone comment on this?
I'm 6' as well. The lowering isn't a problem getting into and out of the car. I was mainly talking about how much lower the car sits to the ground, not really the difficulty of entering/exiting the car.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:43 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by scorpiao
What happened to the CF door pillars installed thread??
yeah it was deleted cuz babypaw the ***** decided to ***** up my thread with white trash nonsense....

if you want to see pix holla at me and i'll restart a new thread

Old 06-19-2003, 10:11 AM
jttaylor155

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

yeah it was deleted cuz babypaw the ***** decided to ***** up my thread with white trash nonsense....

if you want to see pix holla at me and i'll restart a new thread
your grill is still FUKING ugly!!! name me one other person that has that ugly grill?
and how are you going to get upset cause someone messed up your thread?? that is your specialty!!! just look at the aftermarket thread that you got locked. good job.

Old 06-19-2003, 10:33 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by jttaylor155

your grill is still FUKING ugly!!! name me one other person that has that ugly grill?
and how are you going to get upset cause someone messed up your thread?? that is your specialty!!! just look at the aftermarket thread that you got locked. good job.
you know...for a while I placated your sorry pathetic a$$.....but from now on its full guns drawn b!tch....

go cry my a river...I could give two *****.... and get some better hubcaps too

Old 06-19-2003, 10:38 AM

Where are the moderators!!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:43 AM

"Can't we all just get along?????"
Old 06-19-2003, 10:47 AM
jttaylor155

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

you know...for a while I placated your sorry pathetic a$$.....but from now on its full guns drawn b!tch....

go cry my a river...I could give two *****.... and get some better hubcaps too
draw the fuking guns, i dont care!!!!
you think you are better then people just cause you have a newer MAX, so fuking what. *** you. dont get mad cause people talk **** about your ugly grill. you have a nice car but the grill **** it up. why keep bringing up my rims just cause it is a 2000?? those rims came on it and i just havent changed them yet. dont talk **** just because mine is more stock. at least i didnt pay extra money to make mine ugly like you did!! dumb @ss!!

Old 06-19-2003, 10:56 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by jttaylor155

draw the fuking guns, i dont care!!!!
you think you are better then people just cause you have a newer MAX, so fuking what. *** you. dont get mad cause people talk **** about your ugly grill. you have a nice car but the grill **** it up. why keep bringing up my rims just cause it is a 2000?? those rims came on it and i just havent changed them yet. dont talk **** just because mine is more stock. at least i didnt pay extra money to make mine ugly like you did!! dumb @ss!!

Old 06-19-2003, 10:58 AM
jttaylor155

good comeback!!
you showed me!!!
*** YOU B!TCH

Old 06-19-2003, 11:09 AM
xBaByGrLx

Old 06-19-2003, 11:15 AM
jttaylor155

and i guess he thinks that gives him the right to talk **** about other peoples Maximas. he is a founding member and has a 2003.
PLEASE, HE CAN SUCK MY D!CK!!

Quick Reply: Just installed Teins and other mods>( Long feedback)